Opinion of existentialism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of existentialism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above.
Freedom Philosophy

Horrible Philosophy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Opinion of existentialism  (Read 865 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »

'Existentialism' is a very broad term. It can include atheists (Heidegger, Camus, Sartre, certain interpretations of Nietzsche) and theists (Karl Jaspers, Søren Kierkegaard); it can be humanist (Sartre's 'Existentialism Is A Humanism' lectures) or antihumanist (Heidegger's 'Letter On Humanism', written partially as a rebuttal to Sartre's lecture); politically conservative like Heidegger or outright Marxist like Franz Fanon. It can even be idealistic in the philosophical sense - Emmanuel Levinas and most of Heidegger's phenomenological followers, who reduced existence to consciousness - or materialistic, like Marxist existentialists. Many of those associated with the movement, like Heidegger and Camus, disavowed the term.

Existentialism is, then, so broad that it's nearly meaningless (this is, I suppose, ironic).

But I think there are certain tendencies that are definably existentialist, certain themes that, when taken together, deserve to be classified as a movement in itself.

1. All of the 'existentialist' authors focused on action as a priori to knowledge; if the European philosophical tradition began with the Cartesian reduction of the Self to thought, the existentialists suggested that human beings do things before they are things. You have to eat, after all, before you can think.

2. All or virtually all of them, religious or otherwise, denied that the world was immediately comprehensible to human beings; the atheists rejected vulgar scientific positivism; the Christians denied that God's plan was clear and knowable to any who would just believe.

3. Existentialism in all of its forms sought to analyze the contents of consciousness without resorting to causal chains; that is, owing to its roots in Husserlian phenomenology, they sought to look at the categories of human thought without reference to externalities.
Meursault
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:57 AM »

No thoughts? =[
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »

You know, I can't give a real in depth answer because my exposure is limited. I generally regard formal 20th century literary and artistic movements as tedious, dull, and pedantic, and prone to ask unanswerable questions or to address issues from a standpoint that's not terribly useful. "Gonzo Journalism" I like because it deals with reality.

I'm generally familiar with Sartre and Camus, though, and I have a very inert reaction to them. Do not dislike, do not like. They're okay. Dull and pedantic at worst, maybe.

Do existentialists tell linear stories, or is it stream of conscious rubbish?

2. All or virtually all of them, religious or otherwise, denied that the world was immediately comprehensible to human beings; the atheists rejected vulgar scientific positivism; 

Kepler, Newton, and Einstein should have laid that to rest otherwise. I would go flatly against the idea that the world is not immediately comprehensible. So then what guided their thought process? Reality is just what you make of it? Or there is no reality? IDK, how these things go is sometimes not accessible to me.

3. Existentialism in all of its forms sought to analyze the contents of consciousness without resorting to causal chains; that is, owing to its roots in Husserlian phenomenology, they sought to look at the categories of human thought without reference to externalities.

How about an example of what an "externality" is?

If it means what I think it means, I think it's safe to say that the physical world would behave differently if that were a useful way to look at things.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »

I quite like it, especially for its emphasis on personal involvement, which makes it a good philosophy of life (even though I personally wouldn't subscribe to it). Camus is one of my personal heroes. Sartre was a pompous asshole, though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

I've always thrown myself in with the Christian Existentialist bunch.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »

I've warmed to Camus with time. Not a fan of Sartre though. And Kierkegaard is pretty awesome.

I like the idea that we have to choose regardless of what we know. I find that a very useful concept, for example when it comes to understanding how relativism is pretty useless.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »

Sartre and Camus are both wonderful writers/philosophers who have greatly influenced me, but I don't know if the term existentialism really means anything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies