Should politicians be able to run for multiple offices at the same time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:39:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should politicians be able to run for multiple offices at the same time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should politicians be able to run for multiple offices at the same time?
Yes

No

Sometimes (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Should politicians be able to run for multiple offices at the same time?  (Read 663 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:40:56 AM »
« edited: April 21, 2014, 05:05:44 PM by Nichlemn »

Inspired by the thread about KY Republicans trying to change the law to allow Rand Paul to run for President and for re-election to the Senate at the same time.

Regardless of your feelings towards Paul, what do you think of this in the general case?

Personally, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to run for as many offices as you like. If you want to run for House, Senate, Governor and President at the same time, good luck to you. If someone thinks there's something wrong with that, they can campaign against you on that issue and the voters can decide if it matters.

The biggest effect would probably not be on the Presidency, but on ascendancy to higher offices. Many lower offices (such as state legislative seats and US House Seats) are up every two years, at the same time as the next step up the ladder. Ambitious politicians would have less to risk and so would be more inclined to run in marginal races.

Even if you tend to generally dislike ambitious politicians, if you like electoral competition I think it would help. The candidate most likely to be swayed into running by virtue of not needing to risk his/her seat is probably a candidate thinking of running in a swingish district against a relatively entrenched incumbent, who would be very likely to win absent a strong opponent but have a fair chance of losing against one. Think say Corey Gardner vs Mark Udall in Colorado this year.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:47 AM »

No
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:04:15 AM »

Didn't Biden do that in 2008?
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »

Yes, but not more than two.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »

Only for reelection and President (or VPOTUS)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:25:58 AM »

I don't see why they shouldn't have the right
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »

I think so.

Yes, as did Lyndon Johnson in 1960.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »

If it makes sense for the federal executive, why not also permit running for governor and state legislative office at the same time and give up the lower office if successful at both. Or why not mayor and city councilman?

With the exception of elected judges, most states treat running for reelection as equivalent to running for an office the first time (unless they are term limited). Incumbents already have significant advantages, and I wouldn't suggest giving them additional advantages.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »

I don't have a problem with this.

A different question would be whether holding multiple offices at the same time should be permitted. Currently, the only state I know of that allows this is New Jersey (where at least one member of the state assembly is also a mayor).
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »

I don't have a problem with it, but I also don't think politicians are entitled to a "right" to do so. If a state values maximizing the chance that one of their senators will run for and win the presidency, then the state should let them run for the offices simultaneously. But from the state's perspective that could be a ridiculous wast of resources because special elections are expensive. The state might also value senators who keep their promise to serve out a full term. It's a judgment call that state legislatures reasonably come to different conclusions on.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »

If it makes sense for the federal executive, why not also permit running for governor and state legislative office at the same time and give up the lower office if successful at both. Or why not mayor and city councilman?

With the exception of elected judges, most states treat running for reelection as equivalent to running for an office the first time (unless they are term limited). Incumbents already have significant advantages, and I wouldn't suggest giving them additional advantages.
I didn't even think of this; in my head, I was picturing Bill Nelson running for both Governor and Senator in 2018 or something similar to that, but I'd have no problem with a State Senator seeking reelection for his office and a statewide office, or a city council member running for Mayor and reelection.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »

On one hand, we'd avoid the disaster of the Johnson presidency, but on the other hand, the Onion's portrayal of Joe Biden might be lost to us forever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies