Obama reportedly planning mass pardon of drug sentences
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama reportedly planning mass pardon of drug sentences
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Obama reportedly planning mass pardon of drug sentences  (Read 11424 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »

A huge step in the right direction. And I hope it's more than just a few thousand.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »

This would be great.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »

A huge step in the right direction. And I hope it's more than just a few thousand.

Barack Obama is more of a conservative on the niceties of law. Any amnesty will be limited to non-violent offenses relating to marijuana.  It will not be extended to harder drugs, to violent crimes of drug offenders, or to such conspiratorial crimes as tax evasion or money laundering.

I recall some Obama campaign literature dedicated to farmers in which he advocated harsher measures against ... well, basically meth, One menace in rural America was the theft of anhydrous ammonia -- with ammonia thieves often failing to stop the leak of ammonia which can find its way into pastures and feed lots and kill livestock. 

It will apply to federal -- not state -- offenders.   
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:53 AM »

Wow, this would be fantastic. It's high time the POTUS start making an extensive use of the few powers he has.

Huh? I thought you weren't even supportive of legalizing marijuana.

The alternative doesn't have to be between putting addicts into jail or giving weed to everyone, but I certainly don't expect a narrow mind like yours to grasp this sort of nuance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »

We'll see, but I strongly doubt we see any sort of mass pardon or commutation before the 4th of November.

As is tradition for 2nd term Presidential pardons.

It's more because Obama has proven quite loath to use his political capital on inessentials, and he's made it quite clear to date that he views his pardon power an inessential.  The sole good thing is that has taken pains so far to ensure that he doesn't use it as a get out of jail free card for friends and political donors.

Obama's narrow focus on "essentials" is the greatest dissapointment of his Presidency.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »

At what age do you recommend children start doing drugs?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »

Personally, I don't recommend they ever start, even as adults, yet I favor legalizing not only marihuana, but also the opioids and cocaine, essentially all those drugs whose production starts by growing something.  The harm those drugs do by enabling criminal organizations to flourish and by providing money for terrorists and revolutionaries far exceeds what benefits might be obtained for society by criminalizing them.  (And that doesn't even consider the invasions of civil privacy that the government engages in to fight them.)

The idea that only people who want to use drugs want to legalize them is bunk.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »

Depending on the nature of the cases, I would approve.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »

Nobody's saying that kids should do drugs; we're just saying that they (and young adults, and older adults) should not be put in prison for non-violent drug use/possession.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »

Nobody's saying that kids should do drugs; we're just saying that they (and young adults, and older adults) should not be put in prison for non-violent drug use/possession.

We've been at 100% alcoholism since 1933, you see.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:12 AM »

At the White House Press Briefing Carney just kept referring everyone back to the DoJ.  So it won't go down as Obama's idea, but Holder's.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »

Way to make a strawman, dude.

And as others have said, this really needs to happen. Doing drugs (and possibly risking personal safety) shouldn't be something that people have to spend the rest of their lives paying for, with both prison time and a criminal record. One of the most extreme cases would be this man, currently serving live in prison with no chance of parol for...possessing 13 sheets of LSD.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »

And as others have said, this really needs to happen. Doing drugs (and possibly risking personal safety) shouldn't be something that people have to spend the rest of their lives paying for, with both prison time and a criminal record. One of the most extreme cases would be this man, currently serving live in prison with no chance of parol for...possessing 13 sheets of LSD.

And distributing in cold blood one of the most dangerous drugs to others who could harm themselves using it.

I guess his sentence is making him think twice as to whether it was a good idea to put others in danger.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

And distributing in cold blood one of the most dangerous drugs to others who could harm themselves using it.

I guess his sentence is making him think twice as to whether it was a good idea to put others in danger.

Um, no. That is an objectively false statement. If anything LSD is one of the least dangerous psychoactive substances out there. It's not addictive, you cannot overdose, it has little to no long-term effects, and could actually have valid medical applications.

Glad to see you think people who do stupid things should be forced to pay for it for the rest of their lives. Tell me, what else do you think is worthy of being locked up forever?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »

Wow, this would be fantastic. It's high time the POTUS start making an extensive use of the few powers he has.

Huh? I thought you weren't even supportive of legalizing marijuana.

The alternative doesn't have to be between putting addicts into jail or giving weed to everyone, but I certainly don't expect a narrow mind like yours to grasp this sort of nuance.

I don't support "giving weed to everyone". I just support having it be legal to buy, sell and use.

So anyway then if that's the case then how do you think weed should be handled? Illegal but the penalty's only a small fine or something? Because while that's the case in many places (including Minnesota) and is preferable to draconian sentences, it still has the issue of the illicit suppliers.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »

There was some really interesting stuff in that article. I hope that there's truth in this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »

Be quiet. Smart people are talking.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

Then I should continue Smiley
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »

Um, no. That is an objectively false statement. If anything LSD is one of the least dangerous psychoactive substances out there. It's not addictive, you cannot overdose, it has little to no long-term effects, and could actually have valid medical applications.

Glad to see you think people who do stupid things should be forced to pay for it for the rest of their lives. Tell me, what else do you think is worthy of being locked up forever?

It's not "objectively" false; you're using that word incorrectly. While it is non addictive, it can be incredibly dangerous as a result of its effects which I don't believe I need to articulate because you're the man with all the answers. 
Yes, if you actively endanger the lives of others you should have to pay for it. That's why we have criminal law. Now, I would argue that life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is an unjust sentence for any crime, but that man deserved a lengthy sentence.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

Yes, God forbid the wise Oxford student be ridiculous wrong.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »

Considering you don't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization, you should probably never speak again on drug policy. Aside from the fact that it looks like you got your information from Teens Against Drugs (TM), not knowing the fundamentals of drug policy pretty much proves my point.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »

It's not "objectively" false; you're using that word incorrectly. While it is non addictive, it can be incredibly dangerous as a result of its effects which I don't believe I need to articulate because you're the man with all the answers. 
Yes, if you actively endanger the lives of others you should have to pay for it. That's why we have criminal law. Now, I would argue that life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is an unjust sentence for any crime, but that man deserved a lengthy sentence.

No, I am using it correctly. Just going by raw data, LSD is among the least dangerous substances out there:

That, and you didn't even bother addressing my other points about the drug (like how it could have medical uses).

Also, even if he didn't recieve a life sentence, he would still recieve a criminal record which would follow him for the rest of his life, and would make it harder to re-integrate into society.

Plus, what Sawx said.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

I hope this is true.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »

I will always be a skeptic, but assuming he actually goes through with this, it sounds wonderful, and the President should be applauded for this.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/pardon-attorney-steps-down-as-part-of-drug-offender-clemency-push-162336116.html

As speculated,  US Pardon Attorney Ronald Rodgers, has resigned due to insubordination with the rumored plan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies