IL-Sen: Sen. Kirk re-opens campaign Facebook page
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Sen: Sen. Kirk re-opens campaign Facebook page
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IL-Sen: Sen. Kirk re-opens campaign Facebook page  (Read 1568 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »

I know it's a ways out, but Sen. Kirk's campaign Facebook page (he has a separate page for his office) was inactive for a long time. On April 2, he appears to have deactivated and then reactivated it, and has now been posting updates on it.

https://www.facebook.com/KirkForSenate?ref=profile

Seems like some sort of an indication that he will run again, albeit small.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »

Kirk will get reelected in 2016.

Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

I think if Pat Quinn is reelected this year, Kirk inevitably loses in 2016 (s/o to Cook County).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

Just like Tom Corbett this year, right? Roll Eyes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2014, 04:14:09 PM by OC »

Mark Kirk who embellished his military service record stated clearly that he was the only member of Congress to serve in Iraqi freedom, which he clearly wasnt at the time. Ginnoulius who had a banking Scandle and no military service couldn't exploit that. Tammy Duckworth, who all but said, she's running, a Max Cleland female, who lost limbs in that same conflict will be able to exploit that. And get more female votes.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

Big question is whether Kirk will hope for a nasty Democratic primary for him to get reelected.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2014, 05:57:44 PM by OC »

I think the military service record speaks for itself on who we are gonna nominate, Madigan will forgo the senate seat and run for gov. Serving in Iraqi freedom like Duckworth did, or during, stateside, like Kirk did, speaks for itself. This seat will be easy pickings with a Hilary run.

But, if Simon doesn't win the comptroller's seat, she would be viable as well, fom being from Carbondale.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »

I think the primary would be clear for Madigan should she run and I couldn't see her losing in a GE either. I think Reid/Obama/DSCC would lobby her very hard into running because she would have the easiest time winning. And apparently she was interested in 2010 but wanted the WH to clear the primary for her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »

If she gets the word from Hilary she would run, but if she doesn't we have two other females who make it competetive.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »

I think Simon takes a stab at it and wins. Madigan doesn't strike me as a Washington-type.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »

As I mentioned before, my roommate, who is from Chicago and has some political connections, seems to think Madigan is set on Governor instead of Senate, and that she doesn't want to go to Washington. Whether it's what happens is another story, but that's what he thinks.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

As I mentioned before, my roommate, who is from Chicago and has some political connections, seems to think Madigan is set on Governor instead of Senate, and that she doesn't want to go to Washington. Whether it's what happens is another story, but that's what he thinks.

If she wanted the Governorship she would have ran this year and defeated Quinn in the primary when he is as weak as he is now. I think one of the reasons she passed on being Governor is that she was interested in the Senate seat in 2016. Otherwise she would have to hedge her chances that either Quinn is still Governor by 2018 and is termed out or Rauner is Governor and is unpopular which is not guaranteed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

I remember reports that she didn't run because her father wouldn't surrender the gavel.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »

Her father would die in office for Lisa to be Governor.

Springfield is much better than DC.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »

Her father would die in office for Lisa to be Governor.

Springfield is much better than DC.

Being a Senator is much easier than being Governor especially a state in such poor shape as IL is. I'm not sure why she would  like being a Governor more than a Senator and she wouldn't have to deal with her father in DC.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »

As we've all discussed, it will be a big uphill battle for him, especially in a presidential year where the Democratic nominee will probably win 55-60% in IL and where many more democrats will show up to the polls. I figured he had name recognition, but I was surprised to read he lacks that.

It's going to be tough.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »

Go ahead and call me crazy, but I think he could win.  Yes, it will be tough, especially if Madigan runs against him, but he's still an incumbent, and if 2016 is a strong GOP year (which I doubt at this point), he could manage to hold on.  After all, he is much more moderate and a better fit for Illinois than most Republicans.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »

Go ahead and call me crazy, but I think he could win.  Yes, it will be tough, especially if Madigan runs against him, but he's still an incumbent, and if 2016 is a strong GOP year (which I doubt at this point), he could manage to hold on.  After all, he is much more moderate and a better fit for Illinois than most Republicans.
That's fair, but you don't really see the minority party (in a state) hold onto too many Senate seats in presidential years any longer.  It happens of course, but IL is a tough go and Democrats are likely to get 70% in Cook County with much heavier turnout than in '10.  Kirk lost Cook 62-31% I believe which turnout down.  The numbers just don't seem to really add up.  If he had the name recognition and overall state popularity backing him, then maybe.

That being said, he is from the "collar", which is always the crucial swing areas of the state. So, who knows?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2014, 10:32:09 AM by OC »

However, moderate male GOP have been a dying breed lately. SMC and Collins who are female moderates, are clear locks for their respective races. But, Scott Brown, Lincoln Chafee and Arlen Specter and Gordon Smith, they have been def one after the other.

Again, he embellished his service record stating he was the only member of Congress to serve in Iraqi freedom. But, he served stateside during, not in the war. Where, Duckworth, clearly did and lost her limbs.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »

Has Duckworth indicated any interest of pursuing statewide office such as running for the United States Senate in 2016 ?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

This article has an interesting take on 2016 IL senate race http://atr.rollcall.com/kirk-vs-duckworth-for-senate-in-2016/

She will vie for reelection in 2014 of course. But, despite the fact she won in 2012, her district votes GOP, especially in  prez yrs and she may want our in 2016. She won over a teabagger, Walsh.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

Kirk barely beat an opponent with ethics questions in a heavily Republican year, so he definitely has his work cut out for him against a clean, credible opponent in a Presidential year.

Duckworth is a probable candidate. I would say that Bustos could be a possible candidate, but I don't see the state ending up with two Senators from outside of Chicagoland (Durbin is from downstate).
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »

Duckworth is a backup candidate in case Madigan doesn't run but she would no trouble beating Kirk either.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »

I think if Pat Quinn is reelected this year, Kirk inevitably loses in 2016 (s/o to Cook County).

Illinois likes Mark Kirk a lot more than they like Bruce Rauner. Not saying Kirk will necessarily get reelected, but that is at least fair to say, in my opinion.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »

Unlike Quinn, the Dems will have a top recruit in 2016, to challenge Kirk, and Duck worth or Madigan shall win.They may tie him to the GOP in the state legislature who have lower approvals than Quinn, who might slip by and also the one who challenges Kirk.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies