Austria parliament election districts of 1911
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austria parliament election districts of 1911
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austria parliament election districts of 1911  (Read 1584 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »

I'm reading The Sleepwalkers about the origins of World War One, and am becoming fascinated with the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  Has anyone found any link to maps of the Cisleithian (the area ruled by Vienna at the time) election districts used in the 1911 elections.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »

I'm reading The Sleepwalkers about the origins of World War One, and am becoming fascinated with the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  Has anyone found any link to maps of the Cisleithian (the area ruled by Vienna at the time) election districts used in the 1911 elections.

Maybe this link can help: http://austria-forum.org/ebook/wbin/ambrosius.html#pagenum=201&layer=default1&pageid=00000201&thumbview=2p&book=Lehrbuch/Historischer_Atlas_Oesterreich
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »

Yes, this one.

The "Historical Atlas of Austria" is one of the best things out there to read. It was one of my study books for history/political science in high school, but I don't have it anymore (it technically belonged to the school, because this thing cost about 50€ (70$).

Data for pre-WW1 elections is very rare anyway, you can find overall results - but hardly any in-depth data.

For elections after WW1, there are several brochures by the Ministry of the Interior:

http://www.bmi.gv.at/cms/BMI_wahlen/nationalrat/NRW_History.aspx
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:04:51 AM »

Yes, this one.

The "Historical Atlas of Austria" is one of the best things out there to read. It was one of my study books for history/political science in high school, but I don't have it anymore (it technically belonged to the school, because this thing cost about 50€ (70$).

Data for pre-WW1 elections is very rare anyway, you can find overall results - but hardly any in-depth data.

For elections after WW1, there are several brochures by the Ministry of the Interior:

http://www.bmi.gv.at/cms/BMI_wahlen/nationalrat/NRW_History.aspx

Do you know if there are maps of the correlations between the former constituencies and their results and today's voting behavior on the former Austro-Hungarian Empire territory? Like in Poland, where the former German Empire in someway still survives today?

palandio

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 03:10:18 PM by palandio »

Be careful not to mess up correlations between past and present voting behavior with correlations between historical borders and present voting behavior.

On topic:
1) Past and present voting behavior:
a) Austria proper: Strong correlation between inter-war results and current results. For example Carinthia was already a (relative) stronghold of the Third Camp, today's Vienna working class quarters and Upper Styria were SPÖ strongholds, Tyrol and the rural parts of Upper and Lower Austria were Christian Social strongholds. (Thanks to Tender for the source!) This probably extends back to Imperial times. I remember having seen a source on the internet about who won which constituency on the internet, hopefully I can find it again.
2) Historical borders and present voting behavior:
a) Romania: Territories that once belonged to Hungary are less pro-PSD (post-communists).
b) Ukraine: Ex-Galicia (the oblasts of Lviv, Ternopil and Ivano-Frankivsk) belonged to Cisleithania before WWI. It supported Viktor Yushtchenko over Yulia Timoshenko and it is a stronghold of the far-right Svoboda Party. Its voting behavior is really different from the rest of Western Ukraine (you might say more extreme).
The oblast of Ushhorod on the other hand belonged to Hungary before WWI and it had relatively mixed results in 2012 with Viktor Yanukovich's Party of Regions as the strongest party due to a divided opposition and the highest support for Vitali Klitchko's UDAR of any oblast (after Kiev).
Finally the oblast of Chernivzi (Western part in ex-Cisleithania, smaller Eastern part in ex-Russian Empire, small Hertsa region in ex-Kingdom of Romania) still has a sizeable ethnic Romanian minority. Its ethnic Ukrainian majority votes much in line with the rest of Western Ukraine.

EDIT: And thank you, Enno, for the link to the history forum! Seems very helpful.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies