Temping/Stopgap jobs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:54:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Temping/Stopgap jobs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Temping/Stopgap jobs  (Read 211 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2014, 07:08:08 PM by Senator DC »

I'm looking for a temporary job to fill in a gap in my earnings.

The firm I'm interning with offered me a job... starting in July 2015. This is pretty typical in my field (accounting). The problem is, I'll be finishing up my degree this summer, so I'll have a 10 month gap between finishing school and starting my new job.

I'm looking for a stop gap/temping job to make money while I wait for my job to start/look for a better one.

What is the forum's experience with temping/stopgap jobs? How hard are they to get? Do you have any advice for the job search or suggestions for other places to try?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »

Since you're not Bushie, if there's any in your area, try a call center. They can make for good careers if you get promoted or start doing more, but even if not, they serve the type of purpose you talk about very well. I've seen plenty of folks at mine in similar situations.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »

I've always just taught exam prep classes or tutored kids on the SAT/ACT/etc when I needed a summer job or extra money during school.  It's pretty easy and you can make some money if you freelance.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »

I don't know what your earnings needs/expectations are, but I wouldn't bother doing the traditional temp job through a staffing agency. You're basically a Wal-Mart employee who sits at a desk rather than standing at a register.

Have you considered teaching a test prep class for whatever standardized tests you Canucks take?

I'd also suggest looking into bartending.

You could also look into working at your university. They're usually more than happy to hire recent grads for office work since it increases the number of students they can say are working upon graduation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

Have you considered teaching a test prep class for whatever standardized tests you Canucks take?

Canada doesn't use standardized tests, they use high school/college marks (+ interview, portfolios, etc... in some specific areas).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies