SENATE BILL: The Double Jeopardy Is OK...Take Two (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:21:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Double Jeopardy Is OK...Take Two (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Double Jeopardy Is OK...Take Two (Failed)  (Read 987 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

It seems to me that no one here legitimately objects to double jeopardy on pure philosophical grounds. If someone is acquitted and then it becomes very very obvious that they committed a crime, everyone would support punishing them. Given that, it doesn't seem right that there should be a hard and fast ban on prosecuting someone twice.

I don't care how exactly this amendment is phrased, but it's important we don't tie law enforcement's hand between their back.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »

Double Jeopardy is a critical protection and its preservation is essential to protect people from frivolous prosecution. Not everyone can afford to be in court over and over again and unless there is a real strong proof that the person did it, there shouldn't an exception otherwise.

I agree that double jeopardy is important (and, though this is not really related, I think that a lawyer should be like an education- a good one is provided by the state, free of charge, with costs being recovered in the case of guilt) but I don't think that it should be absolute in the way that the constitution currently makes it. As I said before, I'm open to suggestions although I think most of the safeguards are better suited to legislation as opposed to the constitution.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

That amendment looks fine to me, Yankee, and I've taken the liberty of including it in the new version.

Proposing my own amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

I don't think there is much more to be said.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Aye

I can tell this is going to be one of those weird votes Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »

Well we tried, bore.

Still too early to end it though.