Opinion of Lesbian Sex Scenes on TV!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:04:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Lesbian Sex Scenes on TV!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Freedom Scenes or Horrible Scenes
Freedom Scenes

Horrible Scenes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of Lesbian Sex Scenes on TV!  (Read 5117 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »

Offends my moral code, I would rather not see such filth on TV.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

Sex scenes are very rarely necessary or particularly helpful, and lesbian sex scenes are almost always made for the benefit of straight men in a way that is in the long run damaging to actual lesbians. Horrible Scenes.

You're no fun.

Says the guy who doesn't even think two consenting women should be able to get married.

Patriarchy is a funny thing.
Would this be the same "patriarchy" that causes feminists to say gems like this “And if the professional rapist is to be separated from the average dominant heterosexual (male), it may be mainly a quantitative difference.” -Susan Griffin?

That's called misandry.  Of course, I'm sure you already knew that.

Try "owning" me again, though.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

Sex scenes are very rarely necessary or particularly helpful, and lesbian sex scenes are almost always made for the benefit of straight men in a way that is in the long run damaging to actual lesbians. Horrible Scenes.

You're no fun.

Says the guy who doesn't even think two consenting women should be able to get married.

Would this be the same "patriarchy" that causes feminists to say gems like this “And if the professional rapist is to be separated from the average dominant heterosexual (male), it may be mainly a quantitative difference.” -Susan Griffin?

It's also called not, in fact, as prima facie absurd as Devin seems to think it is.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »

You're no fun.

I wasn't trying to own you. The whole patriarchy thing just irks me. I have no problem with most feminists, and I agree with some of their goals. Its the ones that use it like a damn catch all for gender issues that irritate me.  Also feminists of the internet, don't read comments on your video and act like you're some sort of persecuted freedom fighter. Newsflash: People on the internet say mean things get over it. (end rant.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

Lol irony.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

You're no fun.

It's also called not, in fact, as prima facie absurd as Devin seems to think it is.
Really it pretty much says there is minimal difference between a ordinary man and a rapist. How is that anything but absurd? Also what the hell is a professional rapist? Last time I checked you went to prison for rape, not get paid.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »

You're no fun.

Really it pretty much says there is minimal difference between a ordinary man and a rapist. How is that anything but absurd? Also what the hell is a professional rapist? Last time I checked you went to prison for rape, not get paid.

Quantitative differences can be more than large enough to be important. The quote also specifies 'dominant heterosexual', which I think one could be forgiven for thinking is a somewhat worrying combination of attributes in a man. The use of the word 'professional' is presumably non-standard and confusing as all get-out, I'll grant that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »

Presumably "professional" in this context is referring to a rapist for whom that action is their defining characteristic as opposed to the average 'dominant heterosexual male' for whom it's not?

Out of all the threads to end up in some kind of quasi-MRA fest this would not have been the one I picked.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »

Out of all the threads to end up in some kind of quasi-MRA fest this would not have been the one I picked.

Really? Why not? I'm just thankful it hasn't turned into a repeat of some of my interactions with memphis yet.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

You guys are terrible at being teenagers.

I, at least, am not a teenager.

afleitch as usual makes a good counterpoint and I thank him for making it. It's definitely possible for scenes of intimacy to advance understanding of the characters involved, and I wouldn't want to claim otherwise. I just don't think that's very often the case, and with this particular issue--my opinion might be different if we were discussing LGBTQ characters and narratives more generally--I'm not sure I agree that bad representation is really any better than no representation.
What do you mean by this? Why do you believe that portraying lesbian sex is a "bad representation" of lesbians?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »

Sex offenders are overwhelmingly white males.  Nearly 99% of sex offenders in single-victim incidents were male and 6 in 10 were white (Greenfeld, 1997).    

6 in 10 is lower than the at-large white population, no? This would suggest that minorities commit sexual offenses at a greater rate than white people (or at least are convicted or charged or whatever this was measuring).
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »

You're no fun.

Quantitative differences can be more than large enough to be important. The quote also specifies 'dominant heterosexual', which I think one could be forgiven for thinking is a somewhat worrying combination of attributes in a man. The use of the word 'professional' is presumably non-standard and confusing as all get-out, I'll grant that.
I don't see any problem with one person being dominant, if the other is into that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 08:20:24 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

afleitch as usual makes a good counterpoint and I thank him for making it. It's definitely possible for scenes of intimacy to advance understanding of the characters involved, and I wouldn't want to claim otherwise. I just don't think that's very often the case, and with this particular issue--my opinion might be different if we were discussing LGBTQ characters and narratives more generally--I'm not sure I agree that bad representation is really any better than no representation.
What do you mean by this? Why do you believe that portraying lesbian sex is a "bad representation" of lesbians?

I don't. I believe that portraying the kind of so-called 'lesbian sex' that typically appears on television is because the segment of the population that's expected to take interest in it is not lesbians and in many cases barely seems to see lesbians as fully human as it is.

You're no fun.

I don't see any problem with one person being dominant, if the other is into that.

The 'dominant heterosexual male' as an entity is really not about individual desires at this point.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »

While I don't agree with some of the arguments made against sex scenes, I just find them pointless. They add little to movies. Inside Llewlyn Davis didn't have any nudity, nor did it need any.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 08:42:34 PM by Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just to take this discussion even more on a tangent....

more: http://sapac.umich.edu/article/196

Now, carry on with whatever you were talking about. Tongue
The 99% percent statistic is likely inflated. Men who are sexually violated by women most likely wouldn't report it. Why would you want to go through being mocked/called a liar, when she would probably get a slap on the wrist.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »

I don't. I believe that portraying the kind of so-called 'lesbian sex' that typically appears on television is because the segment of the population that's expected to take interest in it is not lesbians and in many cases barely seems to see lesbians as fully human as it is.
What about televised lesbian sex to you consider non-genuine (I assume that's what the quotes are intended to indicate)?

What's wrong with portraying lesbian sex for the enjoyment of non-lesbians? I don't see a problem with portraying something for the entertainment of people other than the subject matter of that thing.

Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 08:41:35 PM »

You're no fun.

The 'dominant heterosexual male' as an entity is really not about individual desires at this point.
No offense, but keep your personal spin out of it. Some women actually like being dominated by men. That may be hard for you to accept,but its true. Isn't feminism supposed to be about giving women choices? So why is it bad if they choose to be dominated?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 08:47:24 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

What about televised lesbian sex to you consider non-genuine (I assume that's what the quotes are intended to indicate)?

I've never met a lesbian who considers the way it's usually portrayed anything other than sensationalized and, usually, played up for fetishes that lesbians aren't the people who most generally have.

If presenting sexuality solely involving women primarily or solely for the purpose of entertaining straight men doesn't already strike you as sketchy because of the way society as a whole is structured, I'm not sure I can explain it without giving some more thought as to how exactly I want to go about that. I'm also not sure I'm the best person to be explaining this, but I don't expect anybody else here to. Give me some time, okay?

You're no fun.

No offense, but keep your personal spin out of it. Some women actually like being dominated by men. That may be hard for you to accept,but its true. Isn't feminism supposed to be about giving women choices? So why is it bad if they choose to be dominated?

Because choices and preferences don't develop in a vacuum and because feminism is most salutary when it's about advancing the position of women as a class or set of classes, and also because thundering Jesus did you even read my last response to you? It's literally one damn sentence.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

I've never met a lesbian who considers the way it's usually portrayed anything other than sensationalized and, usually, played up for fetishes that lesbians aren't the people who most generally have.

If presenting sexuality solely involving women primarily or solely for the purpose of entertaining straight men doesn't already strike you as sketchy because of the way society as a whole is structured, I'm not sure I can explain it without giving some more thought as to how exactly I want to go about that. I'm also not sure I'm the best person to be explaining this, but I don't expect anybody else here to. Give me some time, okay?

You're no fun.

Because choices and preferences don't develop in a vacuum and because feminism is most salutary when it's about advancing the position of women as a class or set of classes, and also because thundering Jesus did you even read my last response to you? It's literally one damn sentence.
Yes I did, I told you to keep your spin out of it. Contrary to what you seem to believe sexually dominant males are not the stereotypical (inks) who runs their wife around like a whipped dog. A male can be dominant by refusing to not allow her on top during sex. I would even think letting women admit they are into BDSM could be good for them. People are always prattling on about sexual repression. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 12:49:47 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

You're no fun.

Yes I did, I told you to keep your spin out of it. Contrary to what you seem to believe sexually dominant males are not the stereotypical (inks) who runs their wife around like a whipped dog. A male can be dominant by refusing to not allow her on top during sex. I would even think letting women admit they are into BDSM could be good for them.

I'm familiar with how BDSM works and have formed my own opinions and conclusions about it. If telling me to 'keep [my] spin out of it' over and over again--without explaining what precisely about the ideas I'm expressing comes across as 'spin' rather than notions with which you happen to disagree--and talking down to me as if I'm a wide-eyed moron strikes you as the best way to disabuse me of those opinions and conclusions, then more power to you, but I'm afraid you're very much mistaken. Also, I really don't think that what is meant by 'average dominant heterosexual male' has much to do with BDSM anyway.

Yes, well, I'm not one of them.

The fundamental notion that you appear not to be grasping here is that statements like the one you find so risible rest on the presupposition that looking at how and why people come to like what they like and desire what they desire is a relevant and worthwhile undertaking. And the fruits of that undertaking by and large do not reflect well upon heterosexual men as a group. At all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 05:16:57 AM »

Nathan you're way overthinking things here.  No need for a doctural dissertation.  Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 06:28:38 AM »

Holy crap, PRUNE your posts people!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 11:47:44 AM by Antonio V »

Devin, it's certainly OK to have some points of disagreement with radical feminist theory, but when you use a quote to illustrate such disagreements, you should actually have a basic understanding of what the words in it actually mean. Here, it's pretty clear that you don't understand what the term "dominant" means in this context. Do some research if you are interested in getting Susan Griffin's argument. If you aren't, you should probably stop posting in this thread.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »

Lesbian porn videos get pretty boring after 5-10 minutes.

Still voted FS.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »

Devin, it's certainly OK to have some points of disagreement with radical feminist theory, but when you use a quote to illustrate such disagreements, you should actually have a basic understanding of what the words in it actually mean. Here, it's pretty clear that you don't understand what the term "dominant" means in this context. Do some research if you are interested in getting Susan Griffin's argument. If you aren't, you should probably stop posting in this thread.

I don't think you need to condition that. I mean, we can debate for a while to draw out his true self or we can just recognize that he's with high probability just another misogynist creep and leave it at that. I'm inclined to do the latter and I'd definitely advise Nathan to.

And sigh at this thread. The weird and fairly hypocritical nature of all these sex threads seem very lost on its enthusiastic participants. And that is amusing and even a bit interesting. I'm going to think about that a bit. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies