Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation?  (Read 8352 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »

For sure I prefer deflation.  All things equal I prefer deflation over even small amounts of inflation.

jaichind's got money in the bank.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »

For sure I prefer deflation.  All things equal I prefer deflation over even small amounts of inflation.

Yes, I am a significant creditor so all creditor prefer deflation. 

But it is more then that.  It is also a function of the fact that I reached a point in my career where I am doing a good job at megacorp with high compensation where I can argue I am overpaid.  Since I am doing a reasonably good job my megacorp will not cut my pay but they could slowing have my compensation increase fall short of inflation as a way to adjust my compensation in line with my contribution.  Deflation or very low inflation would not allow them to do this to my benefit.   I am fine with any inflation below 2% although I prefer deflation from a compensation management strategy point if view.  Looking ahead, using inflation swaps, CPI is expected to be around 2% the next three years and around 2.5% over the next 10 years.  I could live with that as I am working toward semi-retirement 3-4 years from now when this concern about being overpaid would not matter anymore.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

People are actually arguing hyperinflation is worse than deflation? My God this forum is full of morons.

Huh Hyperinflation is worse than deflation. This is not actually a remotely controversial position.

Deflation basically means economic depression. Hyperinflation might eat out most of growth, but it doesn't generally lead to the same lows.

Well, speaking purely about economies, would you rather live in 1990s Japan or 1920s Germany?

Sorry, Antonio, but--while I'm not an expert on the subject and could be misinformed by the economic education that I do have--I'm going to have to part company with you on this one.

Well, obviously it does depend on the degree of hyperinflation/deflation. Zimbabwe and Germany in the 1920s are the most extreme cases, but a more classical example would be Italy in the 1980s. Similarly, deflation can get worse than Japan's (although you certainly know far more than I do about Japanese history), as in the Great Depression.

Anyway, my apologies to everyone in this thread for having been so arrogant. I clearly not as good at economics as I thought I was, and I might well be wrong on this issue (though I'd like to be sure about that, if we can have a peaceful conversation).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »

Hyperinflation doesn't just mean above average inflation. The standard definition used is at least a 50% increase a month.

Upon some research it appears Italy in the 80s had inflation at a rate of a bit over 20% a year. That's pretty bad, but not hyperinflation.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »

Yes, I am a significant creditor so all creditor prefer deflation. 

But it is more then that.  It is also a function of the fact that I reached a point in my career where I am doing a good job at megacorp with high compensation where I can argue I am overpaid.  Since I am doing a reasonably good job my megacorp will not cut my pay but they could slowing have my compensation increase fall short of inflation as a way to adjust my compensation in line with my contribution.  Deflation or very low inflation would not allow them to do this to my benefit.   I am fine with any inflation below 2% although I prefer deflation from a compensation management strategy point if view.  Looking ahead, using inflation swaps, CPI is expected to be around 2% the next three years and around 2.5% over the next 10 years.  I could live with that as I am working toward semi-retirement 3-4 years from now when this concern about being overpaid would not matter anymore.

Oh, surely that's a fine set of reasons for you to prefer deflation, but this thread is trying to establish what's worse. That isn't all about you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:31 PM »

Hyperinflation (normal)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

Seriously anyone who says deflation clearly doesn't understand what hyperinflation is (and that's not uncommon, I've seen the Ford/Carter years described as having hyperinflation before, which is completely inaccurate.)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »

Sorry Tony, again I completely disagree with you on this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »

I'm no economist, but couldn't deflation be cured by printing more money?

You need to get people/businesses to spend it. That's where the 'velocity' of money comes in. Printing money doesn't do much if it sits in chequing accounts for years on end.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:29 AM »

From a public policy point of view there are two types of deflation.  One I think is positive and one negative.

There could be a case where a economy is going through rapid economic growth as well structural changes where the relative prices of different sectors are being realigned.  Because of the high productivity increases these relative price adjustments sometimes could take place with falling price levels in certain sectors which in turn mean very low inflation if not outright deflation.  Examples of this are USA in the 1870s-1880s and PRC in 1999-2006 where both had a deflationary boom.  I think there is nothing wrong with this and deflation is not something that hurts the growth of the economy.

Then there is the more familiar deflation situation where there is significant deleveraging after the bust of a credit boom.  Even with attempts to boost money supply via easy credit, it could not make up for the fall of credit due to deleveraging and leads to deflation.  Here the debt overhang of the credit boom becomes a greater burden as price level decreases which in turn leads to lower economic growth.  This is what took place in Japan starting in the mid 1990s and there is a risk of this in Europe today.  USA seems to have avoided this situation although it did have some deflation in 2009.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »

Hyperinflation doesn't just mean above average inflation. The standard definition used is at least a 50% increase a month.

Upon some research it appears Italy in the 80s had inflation at a rate of a bit over 20% a year. That's pretty bad, but not hyperinflation.

Ah, mine was a semantic mistake then. I had no idea hyperinflation was supposed to be so hyper.

If we compare things that are comparable (that would mean a -33%/month deflation or so, which of course isn't very realistic), deflation remains worse though.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »

From a public policy point of view there are two types of deflation.  One I think is positive and one negative.

There could be a case where a economy is going through rapid economic growth as well structural changes where the relative prices of different sectors are being realigned.  Because of the high productivity increases these relative price adjustments sometimes could take place with falling price levels in certain sectors which in turn mean very low inflation if not outright deflation.  Examples of this are USA in the 1870s-1880s and PRC in 1999-2006 where both had a deflationary boom.  I think there is nothing wrong with this and deflation is not something that hurts the growth of the economy.

Then there is the more familiar deflation situation where there is significant deleveraging after the bust of a credit boom.  Even with attempts to boost money supply via easy credit, it could not make up for the fall of credit due to deleveraging and leads to deflation.  Here the debt overhang of the credit boom becomes a greater burden as price level decreases which in turn leads to lower economic growth.  This is what took place in Japan starting in the mid 1990s and there is a risk of this in Europe today.  USA seems to have avoided this situation although it did have some deflation in 2009.

Side note, but I'm expecting this to happen when we hit the renewable energy science right on the head.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »

Side note, but I'm expecting this to happen when we hit the renewable energy science right on the head.

Maybe. We don't have to wait on renewable energy though. Middle class decline is caused, in part, by America's proclivity for expensive vehicles with poor EPA fuel economy (trucks). We could have energy deflation and cheaper automobiles today by changing US automobile policy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »

Ah, mine was a semantic mistake then. I had no idea hyperinflation was supposed to be so hyper.

If we compare things that are comparable (that would mean a -33%/month deflation or so, which of course isn't very realistic), deflation remains worse though.

Except for bitcoins, and then only if you accept them as being a real currency, I don't think there has ever been an example of hyperdeflation.  Indeed, I fail to see how a broadly circulating currency could have such a thing happen to it.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »

Maybe. We don't have to wait on renewable energy though. Middle class decline is caused, in part, by America's proclivity for expensive vehicles with poor EPA fuel economy (trucks). We could have energy deflation and cheaper automobiles today by changing US automobile policy.
I'm speaking of a revolutionary change.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

Would hyperinflation be a problem if GDP and wage growth were simultaneously skyrocketing?

Is such a scenario even possible?

Deflation just seems pretty bad any way you slice it. 

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »

Would hyperinflation be a problem if GDP and wage growth were simultaneously skyrocketing?

Is such a scenario even possible?

Deflation just seems pretty bad any way you slice it. 

It might be possible in theory if you had productivity doubling every month or something; either way wage growth would probably lag behind a bit because of stickiness. Even if it was possible, the menu costs associated with hyperinflation would make it impractical to continue.

And yes, deflation is usually bad. It gives incentives for suppliers to stop supplying (falling prices means falling profits and fewer producers) and consumers to delay consumption (why buy something now if you believe prices will be lower next month?). Usually that would add up to an anemic economy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 01:23:45 AM »

Hyperinflation by far
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 05:44:41 PM »

Seriously anyone who says deflation clearly doesn't understand what hyperinflation is (and that's not uncommon, I've seen the Ford/Carter years described as having hyperinflation before, which is completely inaccurate.)

This.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »

This indicates that deflation is a consequence of economic stagnation rather than a cause. Given that people inherently prefer present items to future items, mild deflation is not going to be a cause of economic stagnation. All things being equal, deflation will encourage saving over spending which increases the supply of money available for production. Mild inflation may be useful for increasing short-term spending but is counterproductive toward encouraging long-term investment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »

I'm no economist, but couldn't deflation be cured by printing more money?

You need to get people/businesses to spend it. That's where the 'velocity' of money comes in. Printing money doesn't do much if it sits in chequing accounts for years on end.

Easy solution: Give the money to poors. They have no choice but to spend.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies