Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which is worse Hyperinflation or Deflation?  (Read 8426 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »

People are actually arguing hyperinflation is worse than deflation? My God this forum is full of morons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

People are actually arguing hyperinflation is worse than deflation? My God this forum is full of morons.

Huh Hyperinflation is worse than deflation. This is not actually a remotely controversial position.

Deflation basically means economic depression. Hyperinflation might eat out most of growth, but it doesn't generally lead to the same lows.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

Huh Hyperinflation is worse than deflation. This is not actually a remotely controversial position.

Deflation basically means economic depression. Hyperinflation might eat out most of growth, but it doesn't generally lead to the same lows.

Well, speaking purely about economies, would you rather live in 1990s Japan or 1920s Germany?

Sorry, Antonio, but--while I'm not an expert on the subject and could be misinformed by the economic education that I do have--I'm going to have to part company with you on this one.

Well, obviously it does depend on the degree of hyperinflation/deflation. Zimbabwe and Germany in the 1920s are the most extreme cases, but a more classical example would be Italy in the 1980s. Similarly, deflation can get worse than Japan's (although you certainly know far more than I do about Japanese history), as in the Great Depression.

Anyway, my apologies to everyone in this thread for having been so arrogant. I clearly not as good at economics as I thought I was, and I might well be wrong on this issue (though I'd like to be sure about that, if we can have a peaceful conversation).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »

Hyperinflation doesn't just mean above average inflation. The standard definition used is at least a 50% increase a month.

Upon some research it appears Italy in the 80s had inflation at a rate of a bit over 20% a year. That's pretty bad, but not hyperinflation.

Ah, mine was a semantic mistake then. I had no idea hyperinflation was supposed to be so hyper.

If we compare things that are comparable (that would mean a -33%/month deflation or so, which of course isn't very realistic), deflation remains worse though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies