Morse Code testing requirement for amateur radio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:36:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Morse Code testing requirement for amateur radio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should higher-level amateur radio licenses still require passing a Morse Code test?
D - Yes, keep Morse testing.

D - No, remove Morse testing.

R - Yes, keep Morse testing.

R - No, remove Morse testing.

I - Yes, keep Morse testing.

I - No, remove Morse testing.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Morse Code testing requirement for amateur radio  (Read 1912 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:30:10 PM »

BACKGROUND:
I am an amateur radio operator.  There are currently three levels of licenses: Technician, General, and Amateur Extra (from lowest to highest).  All three licenses require passing written exams on the rules, regulations, and technical aspects of amateur radio. 

The Technician license provides privileges on the VHF/UHF and higher frequency bands, which normally only provide local communications.  Passing the Technician written exam is the only requirement. 

The General class provides all Technician privileges plus some operating privileges on the lower HF bands, which routinely allow national or worldwide communications (because the ionosphere bends the signals back down to the ground).  General license class requirements are passing the Technician requirement plus passing the General written exam plus passing the Morse Code exam at 5 words per minute.  (You listen to Morse Code, copy the words on paper, and answer quiz questions on what was said.  You can pass either by correctly copying 20 words in a row or by correctly answering at least 8 of the 10 questions.)

The Amateur Extra class provides ALL amateur radio privileges.  Requirements are all General requirements plus passing the Amateur Extra written exam.

The Morse Code testing requirement is the abortion issue of amateur radio.  Some people feel very strongly that this requirement should be eliminated while others feel very strongly that this requirement should remain.

For more on amateur radio, go to:
http://www.arrl.org

For more on the case against the Morse Code testing requirement, go to:
http://www.nocode.org

For more on the case for the Morse Code testing requirement, go to:
http://www.fists.org/codecrusade.html
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:48:32 PM »

I used to hold a 3rd Class (now Technician) License as Chief Engineer of my college radio station. The Morse requirement is generally obsolete, but I would continue a phased approach to removing the requirement. The best next step is to eliminate it from the General License, leaving it only for the Extra License.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:09:01 AM »

Yes, keep it. Many people still use morse code over the radio.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 06:57:21 PM »

The fact that Morse alows for communication using less equipment and less bandwidth is the most powerful argument in favor of its retention.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:03:38 AM »

Is it still used by anyone except amatuer radio operators?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 02:11:21 AM »

The military still uses it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:14:18 AM »

The military still uses it.

I had heard that they had given it up in the late 1980's, at least for radio.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 07:04:29 PM »

Meh, why not.

You could probably convince me to either side of the argument though.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:15:17 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder why the Democrats are too shy to answer.  I'm holding off on my response until more people vote so that I don't skew the vote.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »

I voted for removing the Morse Code testing requirement.  Morse Code is only one of many modes, and no other topic has the unilateral authority of the Morse Code test.  Many nations have already eliminated Morse Code testing requirements, and we are still waiting to see chaos erupt.

The arguments for retaining Morse Code testing hold no water.  Even when there were 13 word per minute and 20 word per minute Morse exams, there were yahoos on the bands that required passing these exams.  The restructuring of 2000 that eliminated these higher speed code tests didn't lead to the chaos that so many Morse Code testing proponents said would happen.  The Morse Code testing requirement gives amateur radio an image of being stuck in the past.

As I predicted would happen, Republicans tend to favor retaining the Morse Code test and Democrats tended to favor removing the Morse Code testing requirement.  There seems to be a correlation between Morse Code testing and ideology, especially on abortion.  Liberal, pro-choice people tend to oppose the Morse Code testing requirement while conservatives who call themselves "pro-life" tend to be proponents of the Morse Code testing requirement.

The 1/3 of Republicans who thought that the Morse Code testing requirement should be dropped must have been the socially liberal ones like Bullmoose and WalterMitty.  The 1/3 of Democrats who thought that the Morse Code testing requirement should be retained must have been the socially conservative ones like Ebowed (before the switch to a Utah Republican).

Predictably, StatesRights supported keeping the Morse Code exam.  I would have been EXTREMELY surprised if he agreed with me.  I'd expect opebo, BRTD, Nation of Ulysses, and nclib to agree with me, and I would be EXTREMELY surprised if any of them disagreed with me.

Of course, I'll probably now get a response from a socially conservative Republican who agrees with me or a socially liberal Democrat who disagrees with me on the issue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 01:56:34 AM »

What the hell does morse code have to do with pro life? Please explain your logic or lack thereof?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 01:59:55 AM »

There seems to be a correlation between Morse Code testing and ideology, especially on abortion.  Liberal, pro-choice people tend to oppose the Morse Code testing requirement while conservatives who call themselves "pro-life" tend to be proponents of the Morse Code testing requirement.

Uh, what?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 09:15:46 AM »

The 1/3 of Republicans who thought that the Morse Code testing requirement should be dropped must have been the socially liberal ones like Bullmoose and WalterMitty.  The 1/3 of Democrats who thought that the Morse Code testing requirement should be retained must have been the socially conservative ones like Ebowed (before the switch to a Utah Republican).

Of course, I'll probably now get a response from a socially conservative Republican who agrees with me or a socially liberal Democrat who disagrees with me on the issue.

How does the phase-out approach fit into your analysis? It wasn't a choice in the poll.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 11:13:52 AM »

There seems to be a correlation between Morse Code testing and ideology, especially on abortion.  Liberal, pro-choice people tend to oppose the Morse Code testing requirement while conservatives who call themselves "pro-life" tend to be proponents of the Morse Code testing requirement.

Uh, what?
I believe it.  Hams are overwhelmingly male, rural and technically inclined.  These people tend to be Republican and fairly conservative.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 01:23:57 PM »

Of course there is no logical connection between ideology and one's position on the Morse Code testing issue.  But if you read the arguments on the controversy, you'll see parallels in the rhetoric.  The proponents of Morse Code testing talk about the need for high standards and complain about the breakdown of society.  The opponents of Morse Code testing talk about the need for relevant standards, removing unnecessary requirements, modernizing, freedom, and inclusivity.  Sound familiar?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 05:14:08 PM »

Of course there is no logical connection between ideology and one's position on the Morse Code testing issue.  But if you read the arguments on the controversy, you'll see parallels in the rhetoric.  The proponents of Morse Code testing talk about the need for high standards and complain about the breakdown of society.  The opponents of Morse Code testing talk about the need for relevant standards, removing unnecessary requirements, modernizing, freedom, and inclusivity.  Sound familiar?

The Morse code standard is very relevant and I don't see how requiring it is not being inclusive or "free".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies