Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:52:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?  (Read 11030 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »

Unfortunately, our esteemed moderators are too busy enforcing copyright law to get around to deleting Oldies' misogynistic trash.

Actually, it's been dealt a grand total of 0 infraction points. Let the drama ensue. Tongue
No, let's not let the "drama" ensue, do your goddamn job. (Got worked up there, but what can you do?)

You can PM Torie.  It's his board.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »

how does this post violate TOS?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

Nope, nothing about stupidity.   
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

If stupidity was covered under the TOS, this forum would be decimated.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »

Unfortunately, our esteemed moderators are too busy enforcing copyright law to get around to deleting Oldies' misogynistic trash.

Actually, it's been dealt a grand total of 0 infraction points. Let the drama ensue. Tongue
No, let's not let the "drama" ensue, do your goddamn job. (Got worked up there, but what can you do?)

You can PM Torie.  It's his board.

Yes, so can anyone. I don't generally care THAT much about moderation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »

But I only take offense to hurtful comments aimed directly at me or people who I'm close to.

Then in all likelihood you're pathologically egocentric.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »

But I only take offense to hurtful comments aimed directly at me or people who I'm close to.

Also, if he knows more than a handful of women, there's a good chance at least one of them has been a victim of sexual violence.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

On the other hand, if he knows more than a handful of women, there's a good chance he's not posting on the Atlas Forum.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »

To be fair, in large parts of the world this is how people think. When I was in India I read that a majority of rape complaints get withdrawn by the family after the rapist agrees to marry the girl. After all, in patriarchal societies the problem of a rape is not the violation of the woman's rights (because she doesn't really have any) but the damage done to the father or husband's valuable property.

What part of India were you in? It's a good thing you're a Swedish male instead of a woman!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »

Me sir? No sir! I'm just your average fool trying to navigate his way through life as best he can. Fool's don't tend to be easily offended.

Also, if he knows more than a handful of women, there's a good chance at least one of them has been a victim of sexual violence.

Really?

On the other hand, if he knows more than a handful of women, there's a good chance he's not posting on the Atlas Forum.

By default, I know more than a handful of women, since I have a largish family and have attended mixed-sex schools for my whole life...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »

Yes. And it's very telling of you that your reaction to this horrible reality is semi-sarcastic disbelief.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

Yes. And it's very telling of you that your reaction to this horrible reality is semi-sarcastic disbelief.

Sarcasm? Why no. I genuinely did not realise this (I don't ever seem to find myself talking about sexual violence in real life see). I wouldn't be too harsh Antonio; after all, I'm not as intelligent or well-read on these particular matters as your good self or Lief are, so I think my general ignorance on this topic is fairly excusable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »

Sarcasm? Why no. I genuinely did not realise this (I don't ever seem to find myself talking about sexual violence in real life see). I wouldn't be too harsh Antonio; after all, I'm not as intelligent or well-read on these particular matters as your good self or Lief are, so I think my general ignorance on this topic is fairly excusable.

Well, every serious study on the topic has highlighted that between one in eight and one in three women will experience sexual violence at some point in their lives. It may sound crazy, but precisely for this reason it's something important to keep in mind when we're dealing with these topics.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

I don't know what the numbers are in the UK (probably a bit lower, but roughly similar I would guess), but in the U.S. something like 1 in 6 women report experiencing rape at some point in their lives. When you include other kinds of sexual violence and coercion, the percentage can be higher than 1 in 3.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »

Okay then. I think I may have put my opening post in overly harsh terms, and I think, perhaps, a little apology is in order from myself on this matter. I mean, I disagree with his post to be sure, but I still don't see how he is making light of sexual violence. Not to say that it isn't a serious issue, because it obviously is, but I guess I was trying to offer a small windbreak in the face of what I percieved to be an overreaction. Clearly I got it wrong.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »

To be fair, in large parts of the world this is how people think. When I was in India I read that a majority of rape complaints get withdrawn by the family after the rapist agrees to marry the girl. After all, in patriarchal societies the problem of a rape is not the violation of the woman's rights (because she doesn't really have any) but the damage done to the father or husband's valuable property.

What part of India were you in? It's a good thing you're a Swedish male instead of a woman!

I was in the Southern parts, Bangalore, Chennai, Mysore, Goa, etc. And yes I enjoyed lots of privilege, that's for sure. Tongue
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »

The one where Cory said people with HIV should kill themselves should be in the running.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »

The one where Cory said people with HIV should kill themselves should be in the running.
I think that one is just a tad bit worse.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »

That clearly is the winner, unless you are talking about the end stages of that back when, in which event absent religious reasons, checking out early certainly makes sense to me.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:48 PM »

Please let me clarify my statement.  If a woman becomes pregnant as a result of rape, then allowing her to have an abortion sends the message to her rapist that he bears no responsibility or consequence for abusing and impregnating her.  If the woman doesn't want the baby, then she should give it up for adoption and get the rapist out of her life.  And since many rapes go unreported, it's possible the rapist won't even face criminal charges.  So when the woman fails to report the rape, becomes pregnant, and has an abortion, then the rapist goes free while the woman is scarred for life.  It's not fair and it's not right, and it is, very simply, an exploitation of women.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 08:53:27 PM by Emperor Scott »

Please let me clarify my statement.  If a woman becomes pregnant as a result of rape, then allowing her to have an abortion sends the message to her rapist that he bears no responsibility or consequence for abusing and impregnating her.  If the woman doesn't want the baby, then she should give it up for adoption and get the rapist out of her life.  And since many rapes go unreported, it's possible the rapist won't even face criminal charges.  So when the woman fails to report the rape, becomes pregnant, and has an abortion, then the rapist goes free while the woman is scarred for life.  It's not fair and it's not right, and it is, very simply, an exploitation of women.

I don't see why having an abortion should prevent the woman from reporting the rapist.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »

No, you're the one that wants to exploit women's bodies, forcing them to carry a nine-month-long constant reminder of their trauma (which will include sickness, inability to work for some period, painful labor, the financial costs of pregnancy, etc.) all in some ridiculous nonsensical attempt to punish rapists, when we already have legal frameworks that can accomplish that goal without physically violating a woman for another nine months.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

... your 'clarification' doesn't actually change anything. It repeats the OP.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »

... your 'clarification' doesn't actually change anything. It repeats the OP.

I disagree.

It has exceeded the awfulness of the original.  Congratulations sir, I am most impressed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies