Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:42:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?  (Read 10925 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »

And no, we didn't ban Link for similar antics.  We banned Link for defending (and even "jokingly" advocating) domestic abuse of women

Aren't Olides posts defending rape? If you want to follow Link precedent, you can give him a clear warning about stoping that kind of post, if you prefer.

No, I don't think his posts are defending rape.  If I thought they were, I'd certainly think they're infractible and say he deserves a warning.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 11:07:34 PM by Lіef »

Yes, because he's a terrible moderator. He gave me four infraction points a month ago for posting a naughty word. But apparently a naughty word or a silly thread are both much, MUCH worse than disgusting misogyny.

[this is in reply to a Snowstalker post that inks deleted]
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »

I'm not disapproving with putting King under mod review (I'm not part of the Lief crowd), I'm disapproving Oldies not being under mod review.
= there have been 2 legitimate reported posts of his (I'm excluding the general, "Oldiesfreak is banned from posting in __X__ mine thread", which I don't honor

Just throwing this out there, nothing to get offended about...

How are Oldies' posts in the Deluge/GPG different from NewYorkExpress's Off-Topic spam? I don't see a difference between the two, besides the fact that Oldies limits his minespam to two threads.

I don't like getting into second-guessing what someone thinks is a "good" or "bad" post; that's not my job, and while you could make a good trolling argument for a lot of the reports, doing so would generally lead to a lot of drama and debate that I'd just rather avoid, and it's a lot harder to prove that someone legitimately doesn't think something is a "good" or "bad" post.  NYE's off-topic spam clogs up a whole board; you can easily just skim past Oldiesfreak's posts in those posts.  I use the same standard for when there was the no BRTD rule for whatever goldmine it was (comedy, maybe?).  That being said, most of the spam from NYE is on Torie's board now, so why he does or doesn't delete it is a question for him.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »

I'm not disapproving with putting King under mod review (I'm not part of the Lief crowd), I'm disapproving Oldies not being under mod review.
= there have been 2 legitimate reported posts of his (I'm excluding the general, "Oldiesfreak is banned from posting in __X__ mine thread", which I don't honor

How are Oldies' posts in the Deluge/GPG different from NewYorkExpress's Off-Topic spam? I don't see a difference between the two, besides the fact that Oldies limits his minespam to two threads.

I don't like getting into second-guessing what someone thinks is a "good" or "bad" post; that's not my job, and while you could make a good trolling argument for a lot of the reports, doing so would generally lead to a lot of drama and debate that I'd just rather avoid,

From what I heard around me, that's not stopping you when it's about other posters than Oldies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:28 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 11:14:20 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

I don't like getting into second-guessing what someone thinks is a "good" or "bad" post; that's not my job, and while you could make a good trolling argument for a lot of the reports, doing so would generally lead to a lot of drama and debate that I'd just rather avoid,

From what I heard around me, that's not stopping you when it's about other posters than Oldies.

What are you talking about?  Do you have a specific post in mind?  I've looked through the reported posts, and the only mine-related posts I've deleted/modified had to do with profanity, making a threat, or posting something that was deleted by a mod elsewhere.

EDIT: I did delete one thread because someone was unhappy that someone else started the new comedy goldmine, but that was a one-time thing and not related to the issue with Oldiesfreak's posts there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »

What are you talking about?  Do you have a specific post in mind?  I've looked through the reported posts, and the only mine-related posts I've deleted/modified had to do with profanity, making a threat, or posting something that was deleted by a mod elsewhere.

EDIT: I did delete one thread because someone was unhappy that someone else started the new comedy goldmine, but that was a one-time thing and not related to the issue with Oldiesfreak's posts there.

I mean, there is at least one person each week complaining they received infraction points from you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »

I mean, there is at least one person each week complaining they received infraction points from you.

What does that have to do with what me and Sawx were talking about?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »

What does that have to do with what me and Sawx were talking about?

You said than you don't infract trolling because you wan't to create debate and drama, when it's plain false.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »

You said than you don't infract trolling because you wan't to create debate and drama, when it's plain false.

No, I didn't say that.  I'm assuming you meant to say "because you don't want to create debate and drama", but that still misses the point.  I'm talking about the mine threads exclusively, where I have (as far as I know, and going through the moderated posts, I seem to be correct) chosen not to infract placement of posts into the mines as "trolling" because it is so subjective that it's not worth it.  I'm not saying I don't infract trolling.  I'm not even saying I don't infract trolling in those threads.  I'm simply saying that I don't second guess placements into the mines.  For example, if someone puts the quote "FDR was the worst president" in the Bad posts mine, and some Republican reports it for trolling, I don't infract stuff like that.  It's way too subjective for my liking.  I apply that standard for every poster.  Now, I have infracted stuff in the mines, but not placement of posts into the mines for trolling.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »

I don't like getting into second-guessing what someone thinks is a "good" or "bad" post; that's not my job, and while you could make a good trolling argument for a lot of the reports, doing so would generally lead to a lot of drama and debate that I'd just rather avoid, and it's a lot harder to prove that someone legitimately doesn't think something is a "good" or "bad" post.  NYE's off-topic spam clogs up a whole board; you can easily just skim past Oldiesfreak's posts in those posts.  I use the same standard for when there was the no BRTD rule for whatever goldmine it was (comedy, maybe?).  That being said, most of the spam from NYE is on Torie's board now, so why he does or doesn't delete it is a question for him.

IIRC you have jurisdiction on OT too, and you can just click Page 2 to get to NewYorkExpress's posts. I understand and even applaud the fact that you don't delete subjectively good or bad posts in your forum. However, there are some posts that Oldies deluged, like these ones over the past few months, that are objectively bad. Many people from all sides of the spectrum, from the unapologetic conservatives like RogueBeaver to the resident Marxists like TNF and Snowstalker, have spoken out at his Delugings, so I'm fairly sure it's not just a partisan witch hunt of a poster we don't agree with. Mainly, I (and I'm sure the rest can speak) have a problem with the fact that he puts clearly sarcastic posts, and generally posting things that defy facts. Your argument would be a good argument if he wasn't deluging tongue-in-cheek posts or inaccurate posts.

In fact, talking about not deleting his GPG-spam because it's different from "good" or "bad" is totally irrelevant due to content. Out of my year or so that I've been on Atlas Forum, I have never seen Oldies post something into the GPG that actually fit the definition. However, the issue isn't whether a post is good or bad, it's just that he's posting it in the wrong place. It's well-established that the GPG is for effort-posts with a lot of thought put into them, and it's well-established that the Simple Truths mine is for short, to-the-point posts that are objectively right. Multiple people have directed him to the Simple Truths mine, and he, for some reason, refuses to post in them. I at least consider that spam, and were he a moderator, I would have moved each individual post there, if not given him a small infraction.

I'm not asking for a lot, Inks. I'm not squawking about how you shouldn't be a moderator, and I'm surely not asking for a ban on either of these two. In fact, I've tried to guide Oldiesfreak before reporting his Deluges, unlike a few people who called for NYE's head as soon as they got sick of OT getting clogged up. I'm asking for consistent moderation, and applying different rules for posters and essentially saying that a board where you have partial jurisdiction on isn't your problem isn't consistent at all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

IIRC you have jurisdiction on OT too, and you can just click Page 2 to get to NewYorkExpress's posts. I understand and even applaud the fact that you don't delete subjectively good or bad posts in your forum.

I've given up OT in all but name only; Dave just hasn't acted on it yet.  And let's be clear about "good" and "bad" posts.  I'm talking about mines only, not what I consider a "good" and "bad" post.  I just want to make sure we're discussing the same thing, because my words have already been taken out of context.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That may be true, and I don't think anyone goes on a partisan witchhunt when they report those posts.  I'm simply saying that I don't want to get into second-guessing stuff like that.  It's far too subjective for me.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's not inconsistent.  When it comes to the mine threads, I'm not going to infract placements of posts into those threads for trolling under almost any circumstance, regardless of the poster.  Like I've said, I've applied the same standard to BRTD and Oldiesfreak in that regard, and if NYE started making placements in the mines, I'd do the same for him.

But there's a big difference in my opinion between posting arguably "incorrect" things in the mines and starting dozens of threads that nobody ever replies to (note, I'm not saying that nobody ever replies to NYE's threads, but that he's created dozens of threads that nobody has replied to--many of which have since been deleted).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:55 PM »

Interesting, but it has nothing to do with that sickening rape post (which are worse than Link and domestic violence).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »

Interesting, but it has nothing to do with that sickening rape post (which are worse than Link and domestic violence).

OK, well I disagree with your argument that he was defending rape, and from what I can tell, Torie disagrees as well.  I'm not sure how the duty of ensuring that Oldiesfreak ends up on mod review has fallen on me... the original post was on Torie's board, and he chose not to infract it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:13 AM »

It's not a matter of subjectivity with Oldies, though. As far as the GPG goes, it's not a matter of the post's value, but where he is posting them. I have no qualms with him posting the type of stuff he posts in the Silver Mine. However, multiple people post in the GPG, but he doesn't.

As far as the Deluge goes, it's either denying facts or not getting sarcasm. It's an established fact that Carter appointed Volcker, who ended stagflation, not Reagan. It's a fact that PPP is considered more accurate than Rasmussen. And, it's a fact that Al Franken won the election fair and square. A solid half of those posts that I linked to aren't debatable. They aren't subjective. They're straight up misconceptions on Oldies' part.

I was about to make a "Let's talk about Oldiesfreak" thread a few months ago about this, but then I was too much of a softie to create one. My view on the whole moderation argument is that as long as Dave Leip assigns you to a board, you have a responsibility to us to moderate that board until he moves you off. You can't just "give up in all but name only". You're there until you're off, and you have a responsibility to enforce consistent terms of service. If someone's cluttering Atlas like Oldies occasionally has (and NYE still does), you delete them, no matter how big or small the scale is. I'd love for Torie to weigh in on this situation, because he's different about it, but you two definitely aren't on the same page when it comes to spam.

It really has nothing to do with his comments on rape. I'm just saying, since Inks brought up the fact that he doesn't consider him cluttering the Deluge infractable, I felt like I should put my two cents in on why it is. I'm just saying, if NYE's topics that only he finds interesting enough are considered "spam", then Oldies' posts about what only he thinks is good or bad should be spam too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:15 AM »

My view on the whole moderation argument is that as long as Dave Leip assigns you to a board, you have a responsibility to us to moderate that board until he moves you off.

Well, probably at least a third (half?) of Atlas mods either don't moderate anymore, or go through long stretches of time without moderating.  Heck, Lunar is still a moderator of Individual Politics, though he hasn't posted since 2011 (and attempted to resign his position back then).

Folks have tried to resign many times, only to see Dave ignore their emails, so expecting them to keep at it indefinitely seems like a big ask.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »

My view on the whole moderation argument is that as long as Dave Leip assigns you to a board, you have a responsibility to us to moderate that board until he moves you off.

Well, probably at least a third (half?) of Atlas mods either don't moderate anymore, or go through long stretches of time without moderating.  Heck, Lunar is still a moderator of Individual Politics, though he hasn't posted since 2011 (and attempted to resign his position back then).

Folks have tried to resign many times, only to see Dave ignore their emails, so expecting them to keep at it indefinitely seems like a big ask.

I got you. If it's more of Leip not having the time to remove people then I'm fine with that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »

It's not a matter of subjectivity with Oldies, though. As far as the GPG goes, it's not a matter of the post's value, but where he is posting them. I have no qualms with him posting the type of stuff he posts in the Silver Mine. However, multiple people post in the GPG, but he doesn't.

As far as the Deluge goes, it's either denying facts or not getting sarcasm. It's an established fact that Carter appointed Volcker, who ended stagflation, not Reagan. It's a fact that PPP is considered more accurate than Rasmussen. And, it's a fact that Al Franken won the election fair and square. A solid half of those posts that I linked to aren't debatable. They aren't subjective. They're straight up misconceptions on Oldies' part.

I was about to make a "Let's talk about Oldiesfreak" thread a few months ago about this, but then I was too much of a softie to create one. My view on the whole moderation argument is that as long as Dave Leip assigns you to a board, you have a responsibility to us to moderate that board until he moves you off. You can't just "give up in all but name only". You're there until you're off, and you have a responsibility to enforce consistent terms of service. If someone's cluttering Atlas like Oldies occasionally has (and NYE still does), you delete them, no matter how big or small the scale is. I'd love for Torie to weigh in on this situation, because he's different about it, but you two definitely aren't on the same page when it comes to spam.

There are a lot of factors into what ended stagflation, and the some argue that Volcker's actions worsened stagflation in the late 1970s.  There's at least an argument that Franken didn't win the election fair-and-square (not one that I agree with, but the argument is there).

I don't find the lack of ability to sense sarcasm as worthy of infracting something.  I'm not sure why you find the Koch brothers one to be trolling.  None of those posts referenced PPP, and again, while I disagree with his labeling of the Rasmussen posts as bad, it's not so severe that I think it deserves second-guessing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:56 AM »

And I don't have a responsibility to moderate anything.  It's a volunteer position.  As long as the board has an active moderator, I don't see a need to do anything.  If someone posted something that needed to go ASAP, I'd remove it, but otherwise, I see no problem in leaving the board to Torie.  That's what Torie wants, and that's what I want.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »

There are a lot of factors into what ended stagflation, and the some argue that Volcker's actions worsened stagflation in the late 1970s.  There's at least an argument that Franken didn't win the election fair-and-square (not one that I agree with, but the argument is there).

I don't find the lack of ability to sense sarcasm as worthy of infracting something.  I'm not sure why you find the Koch brothers one to be trolling.  None of those posts referenced PPP, and again, while I disagree with his labeling of the Rasmussen posts as bad, it's not so severe that I think it deserves second-guessing.

I never said I wanted Oldies to be infracted. At that point I thought he was antagonizing the forum liberals, but apparently I see now that that isn't the case. I'm just saying, it may not be infract-worthy, but it definitely should be deleted.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:22 AM »

I never said I wanted Oldies to be infracted. At that point I thought he was antagonizing the forum liberals, but apparently I see now that that isn't the case. I'm just saying, it may not be infract-worthy, but it definitely should be deleted.

So what makes something deletion-worthy but not infract-worthy to you?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:46 AM »

And I don't have a responsibility to moderate anything.  It's a volunteer position.  As long as the board has an active moderator, I don't see a need to do anything.  If someone posted something that needed to go ASAP, I'd remove it, but otherwise, I see no problem in leaving the board to Torie.  That's what Torie wants, and that's what I want.

I already dropped that point as soon as Morden clarified it and said that I was fine with you taking a leave. No need.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »

So what makes something deletion-worthy but not infract-worthy to you?

The first instance of spam and thread clutter I saw after I helped him. Like I said, I've tried showing him what genuinely belongs there, and he's decided to not listen to that help. I have tried telling him which posts are bad.  I have been kind. I have been, admittedly, an ass at times. But at this point, I've given up, and I nearly made this appeal to you after my rant on Oldies in the Deluge, but I decided to wait it out. It hasn't ended.

Other posters have tried to get him to stop spamming. It hasn't worked. It's time for you to step in
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »

The first instance of spam and thread clutter I saw after I helped him. Like I said, I've tried showing him what genuinely belongs there, and he's decided to not listen to that help. I have tried telling him which posts are bad.  I have been kind. I have been, admittedly, an ass at times. But at this point, I've given up, and I nearly made this appeal to you after my rant on Oldies in the Deluge, but I decided to wait it out. It hasn't ended.

Other posters have tried to get him to stop spamming. It hasn't worked. It's time for you to step in

And I don't consider it spamming.  If I did, it'd be infract-worthy in my book.  But if there's an arguable point for the post to be there, which I think there is, I'm not going to do anything.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »

And I don't consider it spamming.  If I did, it'd be infract-worthy in my book.  But if there's an arguable point for the post to be there, which I think there is, I'm not going to do anything.

Which brings me to the main issue: the mod team isn't on the same page. We've already established you aren't responsible for NYE's threads being deleted, and if Torie isn't deleting NYE's posts, I am fine with you leaving his alone.

I eagerly await Torie's two cents on this situation.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:30 AM »

The mod team isn't on the same page on a lot of stuff, and quite honestly, NYE's thread creation and Oldiesfreaks's posts in the mines are probably not even in the top 10 of "important" issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies