Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:34:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Is this the worst post in the history of Atlas?  (Read 11027 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: April 22, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »

Yes.  I am prolife and oppose abortion except to save the mother's life.  Allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest sends the message to men that they can use women however they want sexually without consequence.  It essentially is the ultimate objectification of women. 

How is making a woman have her rapist's baby a punishment for the rapist and not the woman?
It's not a punishment for either one.  It making sure that the rapist bears responsibility for impregnating the woman he raped.  If the woman can simply get an abortion, then it absolves the rapist for any responsibility toward abusing the woman and conceiving that child.  Since many rapes go unreported, it's quite possible that the rapist may not even face any legal responsibility for it.  If the rapist didn't want to impregnate the woman, then he shouldn't have raped the woman in the first place.  (He shouldn't have anyway, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

The misogynistic posts Link was banned for making were nowhere near as bad as this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »

He does realize that rapists don't pay child support right? Because of the whole jail thing?

Actually that's not always true. I don't know how it works in other states, but at least in New York the state pays child support while you're in prison, but once you're released you owe all that money back to the state.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

Unfortunately, our esteemed moderators are too busy enforcing copyright law to get around to deleting Oldies' misogynistic trash.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »

Unfortunately, our esteemed moderators are too busy enforcing copyright law to get around to deleting Oldies' misogynistic trash.

Oldies' post is far worse and more sexist than anything opebo said.

Yes, of course it is. Arguably worse than anything Link said as well, though that's closer.

Now I would never advocate for the ban of a non-moderator, but if the rules are to be uniformly enforced...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

Yes, it's not a particularly good post, one which doesn't make much sense and could be construed as offensive to some people (although I highly doubt many of them are posting on Atlas).

It should be offensive to anyone who is a halfway decent person.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »

But I only take offense to hurtful comments aimed directly at me or people who I'm close to.

Then in all likelihood you're pathologically egocentric.

Also, if he knows more than a handful of women, there's a good chance at least one of them has been a victim of sexual violence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

I don't know what the numbers are in the UK (probably a bit lower, but roughly similar I would guess), but in the U.S. something like 1 in 6 women report experiencing rape at some point in their lives. When you include other kinds of sexual violence and coercion, the percentage can be higher than 1 in 3.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »

Please let me clarify my statement.  If a woman becomes pregnant as a result of rape, then allowing her to have an abortion sends the message to her rapist that he bears no responsibility or consequence for abusing and impregnating her.  If the woman doesn't want the baby, then she should give it up for adoption and get the rapist out of her life.  And since many rapes go unreported, it's possible the rapist won't even face criminal charges.  So when the woman fails to report the rape, becomes pregnant, and has an abortion, then the rapist goes free while the woman is scarred for life.  It's not fair and it's not right, and it is, very simply, an exploitation of women.

No, you're the one that wants to exploit women's bodies, forcing them to carry a nine-month-long constant reminder of their trauma (which will include sickness, inability to work for some period, painful labor, the financial costs of pregnancy, etc.) all in some ridiculous nonsensical attempt to punish rapists, when we already have legal frameworks that can accomplish that goal without physically violating a woman for another nine months.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

I don't even understand what his idea of what is supposed to happen is. The rapist and the victim share custody of the child? The rapist is forced to take the child every other weekend? What the hell. And if the mother puts up the child for adoption, like Oldies suggests, what happens to the rapist? Does he have to give money to the family that adopts the kid? Beyond being disgusting, it's just such stupid nonsense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

I don't infract for what people consider a "good" or "bad" post and don't plan on doing so

rofl
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »

Your entire "infractions for trolling" policy is entirely based on what you consider good and bad posts.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 11:07:34 PM by Lіef »

Yes, because he's a terrible moderator. He gave me four infraction points a month ago for posting a naughty word. But apparently a naughty word or a silly thread are both much, MUCH worse than disgusting misogyny.

[this is in reply to a Snowstalker post that inks deleted]
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2014, 11:19:28 AM by Lіef »

Oh, put the smiley face away. No one cares about the stupid infraction system. We just happen to be sick of you all standing by idly letting trolls devour what is left of the forum after banning all of the legends.

This, exactly. I'd love for the infraction and moderation system to be done away with entirely. But if you little fascists are going to run around punishing people who actually contribute to this forum, and have for years, then we only ask that you apply the same rules to actual trolls who do nothing but degrade the quality of the forum.

Snowstalker received 14 death points last night for making a silly thread in the forum whose purpose is the posting of silly threads and then complaining that it was deleted; Oldiesfreak has received nothing for his constant trolling and his vile misogyny. King was put on mod review for a few dumb drunk posts that a lot of us found amusing; trolls like Krazen continue to post unabated. Legends like opebo are gone for posting things nowhere near as bad as Oldiesfreak's proposal to legally punish women for being raped.

If we must continue to live under these stupid rules that are destroying what made this forum so great, then at least apply them fairly and consistently.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies