Which Democrat is more competitive against Rick Scott?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which Democrat is more competitive against Rick Scott?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Charlie Crist

Nan Rich

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Which Democrat is more competitive against Rick Scott?  (Read 588 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

I'm starting to think Crist's strength may have been overestimated a bit... though I'm probably only saying that because Scott is catching up in the polls.  I still think he probably has a better shot than Rich, but I could be wrong.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »

Crist is the objectively correct answer.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »

Crist may only lead by 7, but check the same polls, Rich trails by 8. A 15 point gap is nothing to shrug about.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »

Well roughly 85% still don't know enough about Nan Rich to vote for her, but if she did pull an upset in the primary, while she's not as well-funded, she would still do better among her liberal base and should still be able to win indies against a criminal, so she would win. Crist despite a lot of aggression, everyone knows who he is most lefties will just bite their tongue and vote for him anyways over the Green candidate. He's off to a terrible start, though he would have the better chance of dethroning the now "pro-Medicaid", anti-computer, voting purger. Pick your flip-flopper.

Despite his fiscal conservatism and terrible stances on immigration, guns and separation of church and state, I know I would vote for him. Not in the primary of course, but for the general, hey, he's the best Florida's going to get for now and he'll at least be term-limited again after another 4 years.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »

Well roughly 85% still don't know enough about Nan Rich to vote for her, but if she did pull an upset in the primary, while she's not as well-funded, she would still do better among her liberal base and should still be able to win indies against a criminal, so she would win. Crist despite a lot of aggression, everyone knows who he is most lefties will just bite their tongue and vote for him anyways over the Green candidate. He's off to a terrible start, though he would have the better chance of dethroning the now "pro-Medicaid", anti-computer, voting purger. Pick your flip-flopper.

Despite his fiscal conservatism and terrible stances on immigration, guns and separation of church and state, I know I would vote for him. Not in the primary of course, but for the general, hey, he's the best Florida's going to get for now and he'll at least be term-limited again after another 4 years.

So many things wrong with this - first, of course, is that Crist can run for re-election in 2018. Florida law limits one to two consecutive gubernatorial terms. But to get to the main point - people don't know Nan Rich. They sure as hell know Rick Scott. And yet, despite all the allegations of being a criminal, he's still crushing Rich. Rich simply doesn't have the money, name recognition, or political skill to go against Scott and expect to win. At this point, Crist is our only hope.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »

So many things wrong with this - first, of course, is that Crist can run for re-election in 2018. Florida law limits one to two consecutive gubernatorial terms. But to get to the main point - people don't know Nan Rich. They sure as hell know Rick Scott. And yet, despite all the allegations of being a criminal, he's still crushing Rich. Rich simply doesn't have the money, name recognition, or political skill to go against Scott and expect to win. At this point, Crist is our only hope.
I covered most of what you said already in bold. I was stunned myself when I looked at the last Quinnipiac survey with her polled and showed nearly 9 in 10 Floridians didn't know anything about her. Rich was polling in the mid to low 30s while Scott had a ceiling of about 40-41. If we just take the last Quinnipiac poll since it's the most recent and most reliable, Scott only led Rich 41-37 and that's with 19% of FL Democrats who were undecided or wouldn't vote and low #'s of Republican undecided's. Given, most of those Dem undecided would go to Rich and she's a bit of a turnoff as is for moderates given she's the most liberal candidate out of all of them.

Like Crist/Scott, it's a simple pick of Floridians of "the worst of the 2" and who you guys would rather have as your Governor. Scott's recent small success with his Lt. Governor pick or his high fundraising numbers are the only things going good for him so far. He's vulnerable against Rich or Crist, but I think we can all agree that Crist has a better chance.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »

why is this a question
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

Most important thing is Crist can raise big $$$ which he needs against Scott and also he has name recognition as well.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The standard by which Democratic candidates are now ordained.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »

Republican primaries are magnitudes more competitive these days than Democratic ones. Do you know about this thing called the Tea Party? A primary is literally all that most Republican politicians are afraid of these days; they're certainly not afraid of general elections, because they would otherwise not say half of the crazy stuff that they do. Which leads into what is offered when the first quote is questioned:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »

Republican primaries are magnitudes more competitive these days than Democratic ones. Do you know about this thing called the Tea Party? A primary is literally all that most Republican politicians are afraid of these days; they're certainly not afraid of general elections, because they would otherwise not say half of the crazy stuff that they do. Which leads into what is offered when the first quote is questioned:

Tea Partiers that aren't backed by big money astroturf groups or by their own self funding go nowhere.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

Tea Partiers that aren't backed by big money astroturf groups or by their own self funding go nowhere.

Yet up until they are defeated, we tend to see far more support from the Republican primary electorate for these underfunded sorts than we do in Democratic primaries for their equivalents. My original point is that the Democratic electorate is far more self-defeating in this regard. It's why we continue to be dragged to the right along with the Republicans.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »

Concerned troll is concerned.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »

Honestly, I like Charlie Crist as a politician; even with the flip-flopping, he's got an interesting style. Plus, whether or not his changes are genuine, I think he's stuck with them in this day and age.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:39 AM »

TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »

To whoever is complaining about the term limits law in Florida:

Crist is ALLOWED to run again (if he wins in 2014) to get a 3rd term in 2018.

Florida governor have to sit out 4 years before being eligible again to seek the governorship again after a 4-year respite.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies