What would the upsides and downsides be of Tim Kaine as VP choice in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:54:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What would the upsides and downsides be of Tim Kaine as VP choice in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the upsides and downsides be of Tim Kaine as VP choice in 2016?  (Read 647 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »

What would be the upsides and downsides of Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as the VP choice for the Democrats in 2016?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:11:17 PM »

It's a dull and awful pick, but it does very little damage: Tim Kaine is basically a blank slate.

Democrats have to hope that Clinton picks someone more exciting, but if it really looks like a landslide, then he's fine I suppose.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 08:31:37 PM by Mordecai »

What would be the upsides and downsides of Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as the VP choice for the Democrats in 2016?

Upsides:
  • Executive experience
  • Legislative experience
  • From Virginia, a Democratic-leaning swing state
  • Does not have an overbearing personality
  • Not too liberal

Downsides:
  • Uninspired pick
  • The only reason you'd choose him would be if Mark Warner said no
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »

Why pick Kaine when you have Warner who is better in every way?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »

His seat would be up just two years away and any replacement would be vulnerable to a strong challenger like Rigell or Comstock. But he's also fluent in Spanish and of course most importantly from a crucial swing state but I don't see why Clinton would pick Kaine over Warner.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »

Why pick Kaine when you have Warner who is better in every way?

Not *every* way.  Warner's a bit older and also a gazillionaire.  Also, tempermentally, Warner seems like more of a Type A personality, who might have a somewhat harder time suppressing his own ego enough to be a loyal #2.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 09:39:27 PM by Mister Mets »

Upsides
- Has executive experience as a former big-state Governor.
- Has campaign experience as a former DNC chairperson.
- As a former Lieutenant Governor and DNC chair, he can make sure he won't overshadow the presidential nominee.
- Is involved in national issues as a Senator. Unlikely to make serious gaffes.
- Used to media scrutiny as national party spokesman, and candidate in high profile election in major media market.
- Comes from a very important swing state (Virginia was closest to the national vote in 2008 and 2012.) Keeps winning elections there.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Under sixty. Not too old for Hillary Clinton. Not too young for Kirsten Gilibrand.
-  His diverse experience means he's ready to be President on day one, but that there isn't any one item on his resume to make a Democratic nominee seem puny in comparison.
- Decent Democratic bench in the state ready for a sudden Senate vacancy.
- Handled himself well in a campaign against a man once seen as a potential President. This suggests he'd do well in a VP debate.

Downsides
- Has held political office since 1994.
- Virginia's essentially part of the Acela corridor now.
- Not exciting.
- A man with greater political gifts has a similar background, and helps more in Virginia.

He was the first Governor to back Obama in the 2008 primary, so he might have earned the enmity of the Clintons. It's likely to be a non-issue. If Obama is unpopular, his other offices suggest he won't be dragged down by association, any more than any other Democrat.
Meursault
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »

If Clinton chooses to take on a Vice-Presidential nominee from Virginia, it'll be T-Mac. Which is why she shouldn't select a Virginian, now that I think of it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

If Clinton chooses to take on a Vice-Presidential nominee from Virginia, it'll be T-Mac. Which is why she shouldn't select a Virginian, now that I think of it.

McAuliffe will not be a potential VP.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:08 PM »

There's no way Hillary chooses McAuliffe. Everyone and their mother knows that he'd be a huge liability on the ticket. If Hillary is going to give McAuliffe something, it's going to be in the cabinet.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »

McAuliffe is pretty toxic - I think Clinton is smart enough not to pick him, but If I'm wrong, then Republicans could definitely take the White House.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 11:55:46 PM by A dog on every car, a car in every elevator »

Midwestern, fluent in Spanish and scripture (Kaine's a devout Catholic), good speaker, assuming she's on defensive for the so-called "enemies list" (despite the fact no enemy actually got punished) Kaine was the first major officeholder to endorse Obama in 2007.

What I see never see mentioned here is the fairly plausible scenario that Hillary will have a comfortable enough lead to make a January pick. I keep reading she'd pick a white, male, 50s candidate from a swing state. But if she's up by 10, why not pick Patti Murray?
Meursault
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »

I hope all ya'll are right, but I really worry about her clannishness and dedication to the old DLC type of governance. I fear it might lead her to want to reward an old loyalist, heedless of the political calculus.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »

I hope all ya'll are right, but I really worry about her clannishness and dedication to the old DLC type of governance. I fear it might lead her to want to reward an old loyalist, heedless of the political calculus.
She won't. Virginia hated him before he was even inaugurated, she is not going to choose an unpopular Governor. If she's picking a Virginian, it'll be Marky Mark.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

I think Kaine would be a better pick than McAuliffe, but there are a few arguments for McAuliffe.

He ran a disciplined campaign and won in a swing state over the attorney general in an off-year election that tends to go badly for the party in the White House.

He is a Clinton loyalist, but that comes with a few advantages. It's easy to spin it as Hillary Clinton choosing someone she knows that she can trust, which can be an unfavorable comparison if the Republican nominee picks someone he doesn't know very well (IE- Papa Bush and Dan Quayle, John McCain and Sarah Palin.)

There is an argument that McAuliffe had a background that fits Virginia, but not any other state, although I don't think things usually work that way in purple states.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »

no downsides.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »

Warner is better than Kaine, but Kaine is much, much, much better than McAuliffe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies