Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t  (Read 6082 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2014, 11:23:15 PM by Senator Cynic »

So, the doctor is in again, eh?

Back for another tour of duty in the NE.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:05 AM »

Welcome back!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

Do you think a war between the Northeast and Mideast would result in a Northern victory?

Would you support going into a civil war?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »

Hell yes and Hell no!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »

I'd like to hear from my fellow Nor'easterners regarding the current legislation before the Assembly. I'm specifically speaking about the Drones. Dallasfan wanted to get a national discussion going by passing a bill on procedure, as I understand it. I'm still inclined to vote against it as it stands though.

What say you?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:59:23 PM »

I will be a candidate in the next At-Large Senate race. I actually have not served in the Senate since all the way back in 2006. In fact, I was a District Senator, something we don't even do anymore and haven't for many years. I miss the national role (nothing against working regionally in the NE, but I've been a Rep half a dozen times and I think next time it should go to someone who hasn't had the chance to serve in Atlasia yet) and I want to get involved again in the national discussion.

While I acknowledge that my chances of victory are slim (as always), I thought that after almost a decade outside of it, I'd like to try for a second go around.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »

I don't care about Atlasia, but I'll vote for you.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

Well, to be fair since I came back, I've been arguing for a restart. If I got in, I'd like to at least have the debate.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 12:23:41 AM »

Best of luck on the eventual election! I believe discussion on Bore's Atlasian Reboot Act has just started, so that might be a good chance to get involved in the process of a potential restart.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »

You have my endorsement, comrade.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »

Yay! it is. Good to see you back, Doc. Best of luck.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Thanks TNF and DemPGH!

I'm glad to see we're finally going to have a real debate on the restart. As I told the Senate, if this is something that's going to be done, it should be done right and yes, that would mean a new nation. We wouldn't have to fully eradicate the history of Atlasia. It should always be remembered on the wiki and I think it should be remembered as a very successful simulation. We've all worked hard to make it fun at various points of time. Now, I think the time is now to start anew.

If I was elected, I'd like to work with Senator Bore to go all the way with it. His legislative reboot, to me is a good start, but I think just a legislative reboot would end up causing more problems. I'd like to see everything begun again. Yes, if my idea went through and I was a Senator, I'd be back out of office again as would everyone else. We'd have a constitutional convention and we'd have the opportunity to create a nation in our image. Activity has slumped here recently and I wanna see us all involved again. We've worked hard to make things work and to make things fun. We should realize sometimes when we need a kick in the ass. Atlasia is more than a decade old. How many other government simulations can boast such a lifespan? None that I know of. We should be proud and we should be bold and ready for the next step.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »

Purple heart Kiss We need longer campaigns in the game!

*As Party Chair, I don't formally endorse anyone until the time for any potential primary challenge has passed; good governance of party affairs and all that
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »

Why At-Large?

Why am I running for At-Large Senate instead of in the Northeast? Well, for one, Bore is NE Senator and he's one of the best at the job. The other reason is that the main issue I am campaigning on is a national one. It's also one of greatest importance. I feel as though the time has come for a rebirth. It's been more than a decade since Atlasia's founding. Most of the founders with a couple of exceptions are gone. I've come and gone a few times, myself. The pool of those who play the game should be freshened up every now and again. The game should be as well. By no means am I saying we should erase the accomplishments of all of us in making the game work. We have a wiki and we even have Atlasian historians who remember just about everything that happened.

The time has come though for something new. What that new venture is though is still up to us. We can start anew and put an end to the apathy that so often plagues this place. New issues to fight and potentially an entirely new form of simulation. I'm ready to take that plunge. But should we all not be able to, then I still think it important that new issues be raised. The most important way that this place can survive right now is through an active GM. But that's only on national issues. What about regional issues? The regions have mostly been left to simulate themselves for a very long time. Maybe we should re-introduce scandals to the game as well as fresh stories. We need to make every office matter in Atlasia again and in doing so, we need active stories. I will lobby the GM's office to do so and will try to work in the Senate to promote activity however I can.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

Obviously endorsed.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »

Endorsed!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »

My previous statement was meant as a full endorsement. I like that we have so many people who sort of specialize in different areas - labor, game, civil rights, and I think you will bring a lot of good ideas to the table.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »

Endorsed
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »

Thanks for the endorsements, folks. I have to say it's very important to me that whatever we do, that first of all it's interesting. When I was campaigning for District 1 Senator back in 2006, there were a few interesting and chaotic things going on. There was a standoff between the President and the GM's office and things were chaotic and yes, quite interesting. After that, things calmed down and I became President for a week, but I'd rather not talk about THAT right now! In any case, the point is, when the game is interesting, people will want to be involved. That's the most important thing.

If you guys have any questions about my stances on other policies outside of game reform, please ask and I'll try to expand on it.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »

I support the sentiment behind many of your ideas, even if only to a degree.  However, how can we be assured you won't lose interest in being a Senator like you did in being Governor, or in the many cabinet positions you've held?  I think it's important to ask this question considering the recent stagnated activity of some of our federally elected officials.   
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »

I didn't lose interest in any of those jobs. Real life sometimes interferes. Except for my last tenure as SOIA, when there was no communication from the White House at the time. So then, yes, I got fed up and quit.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

I didn't lose interest in any of those jobs. Real life sometimes interferes. Except for my last tenure as SOIA, when there was no communication from the White House at the time. So then, yes, I got fed up and quit.

Shots fired.

It's true that there wasn't really any communication between us. That's as much my fault as it is yours Tongue But yes, I got frustrated and decided that it'd probably be better for someone else to do it since I wasn't doing a great job. It was probably just a bit of burnout as well. It all worked out ok for the both of us though.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »

Shots fired.

It's true that there wasn't really any communication between us. That's as much my fault as it is yours Tongue But yes, I got frustrated and decided that it'd probably be better for someone else to do it since I wasn't doing a great job. It was probably just a bit of burnout as well. It all worked out ok for the both of us though.

You're referring to a different administration. Superique was Secretary of Internal Affairs for the duration of my presidency.

But I was kidding, in any case. That was a long time ago.

See, it was so long ago, I don't even remember it. Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »

An Update

I'm extremely pleased to see that game reform is picking up steam. In the Senate, the reboot act is being debated and in so doing, we'll hopefully see a new constitution with it.

Also, right now in the NE Assembly, we're debating laws on marijuana regulation. I'm not an expert on the Atlasian law with regard to how much is permitted to be sold by a party and how much tax is paid on it and all. Because I don't know what the regulations are in this regard, I'm looking for anyone who does know to fill me in so I can get the full picture of the legislation I'm debating.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2014, 05:19:50 PM by Dr. Cynic »

On Health Care:

This is a debate that has been in the public eye recently and to prove I'm not a one issue candidate, I want to expand my position a little bit on this. Like most Atlasians of the left, I support universal access to quality health care. How we go about achieving that goal is something that needs to be decided upon, so let me put my own position forward.

I support FREE access to care at any time. I support FREE eye, dental and mental care. I also support free prescription costs, particularly for those with chronic illnesses. At this point, there are a lot of useless programs that none of us even know about that could be cut from the federal budget in order to cover the costs of an entirely free system of health care if you didn't want to see a tax increase. I completely disagree with anyone who would characterize health care as a "good or service". I don't view the issue in such sterile, mechanical fashion. Some things, in my view, are more important than a balanced budget and yes, this is one of them. So, if that means I can't be an At-Large Senator because I want people to be able to see a doctor or get a prescription filled free of charge rather than a budget in black ink, then so be it.

On College Tuition:

One of the things I'm most proud of ever getting done in the Northeast Assembly was universal college tuition for Northeast students. In a global economy, Atlasian students have to be able to compete with the rest of the world. In order to do that, the first thing they need is a top notch education and while they may get it, far too many of those students were immediately hit with a mountain of debt that effectively puts them at a disadvantage. I and others felt that this was absolutely intolerable. I support universal college tuition for all Atlasian students.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies