Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:45:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t  (Read 6088 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

Thanks for the kind welcome, JCL. I've enjoyed my time here.

I think that's a very interesting proposal. My own preference was to eventually move to a parliamentary system and an entirely new nation, which would essentially mean an entirely new game. That said, I do think Duke's idea has a lot of merit and is worth consideration. It's one of the better ideas on game reform that I've seen, especially if no restart is going to happen.

In my region, we've had a lot of turnover in the Assembly recently and I know other regions have had troubles similar in the past. Such a system might be a fix in terms of turnover. Some regional reps might decide they want to move, etc. Well, if we went that route and elected through party list PR for a lower house, residence might not matter so much.

It's an idea worth entertaining, though, as I said, my own personal preference is to see an entirely new system of government. I will say it might be a good compromise.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »

I figured why the hell not. So, I've decided to try and get in a little bit early and I will be on the ballot for the special election. I dunno whether or not I can possibly win (I'll need your help there), but I figured since Labor needs a candidate, why not me? Why not the Doctor?

So, in order to capitalize on the feelings of fondness so many of you have for the Doctor, here is a Tardis:

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

An Event in Vancouver, BCSad

So, you might be wondering why I want to join the Senate so badly. You're probably thinking, "Doc, you've got a nice job in the NE, you could just stay there in perpetuity". Well, maybe I could, but the fact is, national politics in Atlasia right now are more important than ever before. I have not been a Senator since we had districts. I ran a couple of times since, but I either didn't make it or had to drop out (Once I dropped out as a favor to another candidate who had a better chance of winning the seat than I did). Well, I'm asking to go back there so that I can campaign on issues important to me such as game reform, education, housing the homeless, fair trade and a moderate foreign policy that works toward peace between all nations.

I have worked very hard to make the Northeast an enviable region. I wrote bills that would educate all our students and not only house the homeless, but attack the root cause of homelessness itself by providing developmental assistance to them. I sponsored legislation that makes it easier for candidates to put themselves on the ballot for Northeast elections. Now, I'm asking the rest of the country to let me work for them. I will work with the members of the Senate to enact lasting game reform, I will work to house the homeless of not just the NE, but Atlasia as a whole. I will work to ensure every young Atlasian can get a college education no matter what their background is.

I'm asking you to vote for me in the special election and send me to the Senate so that we can try to make these things become reality.

I'll take questions, comments and all that now if you like.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »

I would like to hear more about your approach to foreign policy.

Also, you described yourself as close to "generic Laborite" recently, yet like me you chose to vote against the proposed party platform. What motivated your vote?

My approach is that I want to encourage fair trade and protect Atlasian interests abroad. I am not in favor of nuclear disarmament, at least not at the present time (I would support it down the road). I think in regards to peace in the middle east, we shouldn't be openly siding with one side or another. I think it only right that we remain fair to both sides and I support a two-state solution (though I realize in Atlasia, peace between Israel and Palestine has been accomplished, it does speak to how I would hope to handle foreign disputes)... If you wanted something more specific though, perhaps you had a specific scenario in mind?

Well, that was a joke, really. I described myself that way in order to be self-deprecating. As far as what motivated my vote on the platform, I didn't really get much of what I'd hoped for accomplished, especially in matters of trade (I do oppose bringing Mexico into the agreement at the present time) and game reform. If I was going to vote Aye on the platform, it could not have been a vote in good conscience, though I will still remain a loyal member of the Labor Party no matter the outcome of the platform vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Thank you, sir.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »

You, of course, have my full support, friend.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

You, of course, have my full support, friend.

And it is always appreciated!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »

Today's Q&A Town Hall will be coming to you from scenic......

OCEAN CITY, MARYLAND

I'll take questions related to either the forthcoming special election or the upcoming general election. Please make use of the refreshments provided. No better place to have them than the beach.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »

Press Release from the Office of Dr. CynicSad
Pittsburgh, PA.....

With the worrying outbreak of Ebola virus in West Africa, I think quite rightly, the SOEA has chosen to restrict travel to those nations experiencing the worst of the disease. I think Secretary Nix handled this issue quickly and correctly to quarantine this and keep it from becoming an epidemic. However, now we need to look at ways to combat those already inflicted. Going back to my previous belief that health care should be entirely free for all Atlasian citizens at the time of visit. Not only that, it's quite clear that this country needs to take a leading role in prevention of the spread by sending technical assistance abroad to these countries.

If elected to the Senate, I will make it a priority to help coordinate a response to this outbreak from the Atlasian government. We need to be mindful to keep this from becoming more serious. That includes both prevention and treatment. Travel restrictions are just the tip of the iceberg. These nations will need medicines and yes, doctors, to help in treating this illness. I'm confidant that Atlasia can continue to be a leader in the global community in preventing the spread of Ebola.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2014, 01:01:22 AM »

Get Out The Vote Rally: Pittsburgh, PA

The time is finally here, fellow Atlasians. The special election is officially upon us. What I'm asking you to do is to put me back in the Senate for the first time since 2006! (My god, has it been that long?!) This special election could be of vital importance to Atlasia. I've promised to attempt to bring forward Game Reform, which I very much intend to attempt. I've promised you I won't disappear (No, seriously, I won't). I've promised to work to combat homelessness and provide health care and an education for all.

This is the time. I ask you to send me to the Senate in hopes that I can work toward all those things. I ask you to get out the vote for me (or other candidates if you deem it necessary). Let's try to make things better in Atlasia (or worse if you're a member of the Bad Party)!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »

Keep it going folks! We're looking really good thanks to yinz---I mean you---guys!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 01:45:59 AM »

Congratulations to Spiral on winning the special election. I was disappointed with the left's turnout, but what can you do? I was uncharacteristically optimistic early on. It was fun while it lasted. Tongue

That said, my campaign has always been for the general election rather than the special. My desire is still to serve as a Senator, with hopes that I can hopefully bring about reform on those issues that are important to me, specifically game reform, education and homelessness.

Besides, if I don't get a seat in August, there's always the next one, right? Tongue

Seriously though, we will continue the campaign on to Nyman!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »

It's unfortunate that Griffin has chosen to resign from his seat. He's always been a great friend of mine and Nyman will miss him. However, I am happy to say that with his resignation, he has appointed me to fill out his term.

I promise I'm going to go in there in the next few weeks and really try to get myself acclimated to it. Hopefully, I won't let you guys down.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »

What is your opinion of this piece of legislation that was introduced by the voice of your party?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »

What is your opinion of this piece of legislation that was introduced by the voice of your party?

Don't you have people to blackmail or something?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2014, 11:25:05 PM »

Stop that whining
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 01:07:08 AM by Senator Cynic »

Well, to answer the question, I don't support the death penalty at all. Tongue

Also, probably wouldn't vote for this, even as a jobs program. I'd rather jobs programs built houses, fixed infrastructure or generally helped people. I know TNF is a crusader for what he believes is right, but I don't share that kind of zeal. I want to make life better.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »

Town Hall Today:

Questions, comments, concerns? After all, if I'm to represent you people in Nyman now, I'd like to hear from you!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

Today's Brunch With Supporters in Detroit, Michigan

We've had a great time here in Detroit. I must say since I've now been back in the Senate, being on the campaign trail becomes a bit harder. I'm pleased to see the great turnout here though.

One of the most important pieces of legislation before the Senate right now is the Renewing Our Promise to Workers Act. What could potentially come of it is the shortening of the work week to a 20 hour work week. I know the workers here in Detroit and indeed in any city across the country with a manufacturing tradition, such as my own home city, Pittsburgh, this is something that I think many workers would welcome. A 20 hour work week would double the shifts and really take care of unemployment. With the pay raise coming from it as well, we can see a more prosperous nation without hurting productivity. I think we can see positive change coming from a bill like this and right now I'm going to probably vote in favor of it.

In the end, what matters the most to me is that everyone can have a job and that in doing so,  Atlasia's economy competes at the global level. I think what we'll see with this bill is more employment and continuing global competition.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

---Press Release On ISIS---

I would like to say that I am joining those who have supported President DemPGH's decision to launch strikes against ISIS. It's clear that this is NOT a full scale invasion of Iraq and that this step was taken with careful deliberation and care to protect Atlasian interests in the region. I would not be supportive of "troops on the ground", but surgical strikes to protect our interests, I unequivocally support.

---TOUR SCHEDULE---

I'll be making quick campaign stops in the following towns this coming week:

Duluth, Minnesota
Portland, Oregon
Dallas, Texas
Tampa, Florida
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

If you're living in or visiting those cities in the next week, stop by and say hi!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »

---A Statement on the Tragedy in Ferguson, MO---

My thoughts go out to those who've been affected by this ongoing tragedy in Missouri, right now. This is something incomprehensible to me in a free and open society like ours. When we get the full story, I think appropriate action should be taken by the Mideast Government.

It is my hope that there can be calm and peace. The people need the chance to heal from this tragedy and none of us should use this as a new political football to fling. We must all stand together for peace or we will all assuredly fall in violence.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

Endorsed for first preference!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »

If I've ever been wrong on an issue, I'll admit to it. When it came to the public power act, I was wrong. I admit that I feel that energy production should be nationalized and I felt it was important to pass the bill. The bill was full of holes though. I admit that. However, a new bill is being worked on. I hope, when it's introduced that it's passed and low income families can have the access to their energy needs that they require. I feel it's a public resource and it should be available for all.

As for what's right, I feel that the President should have those whom he wants to work in his administration. Some Senators voted against Tyrion purely because he was Labor. Even so called moderates. Tyrion is not Windjammer and was not promising to exercise lots of control over the Senate, nor was he at fault for the anger over the public power bill. So why was he rejected? More importantly, was it right to do so? I feel that it was wrong to do so. I would stand by Tyrion as someone who deserved to be the VP and would have been a fair VP. But, he was punished by the right, simply because of his political affiliation. I feel very strongly that it was wrong.

So, now before the At-Large Senate election, I'm asking Atlasia to help right some wrongs. Was I wrong for supporting the Public Power Bill? As it stood, I was. Was I wrong for supporting Tyrion and feeling that he was as deserving as anyone to be VP, no. If this election is all about dealing a slap to Labor, then I suppose you can knock me and Alfred out of office. If that's what you really feel is right, then so be it. I can't speak for Alfred, but I'll go away quietly.

All I can ask you is to give me the chance to work toward real reform. Especially in how we play this game. That's all I can ask of you this weekend during the vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »

The time is upon us. It's been quite a long campaign and quite an interesting one. Right now, there are several Atlasians who are chomping at the bit to serve as an At-Large Senator. Only some will be able to go on. My hope is, I'll be one of them.

We've had lots to talk about during this campaign, but the time has finally come. The voting booth is open! Let's get out the vote!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:50 AM »

I'll be honest, I didn't expect to be the one brought back with Alfred being ousted, but it appears to be the case. For that, I'm very sad Sad

However, I am happy to be returned, if that is the case. I don't really know. This all might be in vain and Alfred might be returning for another term and I'm out.... I'm not sure...

Well anyway, as Arsenio used to say, "Let's get busy!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies