Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:21:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Office of Senator Cynic: Chaos and Sh*t  (Read 6081 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:05 AM »

If it had to be one of us, I'd rather it was you, Dr. Watson. Go get the bastards.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2014, 02:48:15 AM »

Congratulations for your second term.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:58 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 07:06:15 PM by Senator-elect Polnut »

Many congrats Senator, since there's fundamentally more we agree on than disagree, I'm sure we can get stuff done.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »

Congrats.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »

Thanks guys. Now, let's see what we can do.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »

A Letter to Senator Cynic

The Reality Or Nothing organisation has placed you on its official target list. As worthless Communist hack you are a menace to the organisation's goal of a Reality based State. You are a lapdog and a lackey, whipped by your masters in the Politburo to rubber stamp Communist idiocy on a daily basis. You are a man of no consequence and will not be missed. As such, we intend to assassinate you.

Yours Sincerely,

The Central Committee of the Reality Or Nothing organisation
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

From the Offices of Dr. Cynic,
At Large Senator: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

To: The Reality or Nothing Organization

My office has received your letter of August, 27 stating your intentions. My response is: KISS MY ASS!

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Cynic.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »

http://youtu.be/WqPb-S7F8uc?t=7s
GAworth
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

From the Offices of Dr. Cynic,
At Large Senator: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

To: The Reality or Nothing Organization

My office has received your letter of August, 27 stating your intentions. My response is: KISS MY ASS!

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Cynic.

Best response ever!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »

Town Hall Today. I'd like to hear from yinz guys.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »

Your GM Assistance Act is certainly a step in the right direction.

However, do you think the way game moderation in general is set up right now is succesful?  In the five years that I've been here, the actual arrangements have basically remained unchanged, and I should say that most GMs have been either totally lackluster or complete duds, with a few notable exceptions along the way.  I don't mean to talk poorly on the people who have served as GM, quite the opposite, actually.  Should the position remain solely for one person?  Or should there be a whole knew approach?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »

To be completely honest, my bill is a band aid, meant to help for the time being. Frankly, the job of game god, and that's what it is, is too big for one person. In the years I've been around, there have been good GMs and poor GMs. Just about all of them gave it an effort, but it's a difficult job. More than one person should be forced to bear. What the bill will hopefully do is allow the next GM to have an assistant to work with. If the next GM is a numbers whiz but not so good at writing the news, the assistant can do the news. If the opposite is the case then so be it. It stems back to a conversation I had with the President just after he was elected.

The only other feasible option I can think of would be to create a Treasury department and outsource the GM job to the SOIA, SOEA and a Treasury secretary.

Other than those two options, I don't honestly know what the answer to fixing it would be. I chose, for the moment, the simpler method of just adding an assistant GM rather than go the complicated route. We'll see how this one works out.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »

I'd like to announce now that I will not seek a second term in the Senate this coming December. I have greatly enjoyed my time so far in that body and I will continue to work through the rest of the term, however, real life will be intervening at that time and I will not have the time to dedicate a second term that you all deserve.

I look forward to the rest of the coming term. Thank you.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

A Point on the Partisanship

I was going to start a new party, but the hell with it. I re-registered with Labor because I haven't got the patience to build a new organization. Not after attempting to organize previous political parties and getting very little done with them. (Except the Silly Party. We did accomplish our main aim with that one)

The biggest point I wanted to make when I briefly left the Labor Party was rhetorical. If I was deeply unhappy with Labor, I could have joined the People's Party, but that wasn't the point I wanted to make. The real point is this: All of us personally attacking each other is bullsh**t. This is a goddamn game, people. I didn't mind the party rivalries. But it's gotten too personal. I would like to put this point to my comrades in Labor as well as those in the People's Party and the Federalist Party.

There is nothing within Atlasia that should cause one to lose sleep, harm oneself or harm another player. Saying this and doing what I did may mean that no one will ever vote me into another office again after I leave the Senate in December, but I just don't feel this game is worth taking it to a personal level. I have friends in all the parties and campaigning against them was just part of the game with me. I never wanted and I never would want to see it descend into the kind of personality conflict it has done. Life's too short for us to spend hating each other. It's a damn game, guys. This personal conflict sh**t gets real old.

Now, that's my peace and it's how I feel. However it goes, it goes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »

I feel very much the same way these days, Cynic. Everyone's allowed to not want to support someone, and even not like a person, but the character assassination part of this game can be really gross and really harmful. I'm not here to tear anyone down; other things in our lives are far more important.

At this point in my life, I'm here to be laid back and honest with people. I will give contemplative, at times unsatisfying answers, but it's because I'm not here to play a part, I'm here to try and have fun, learn things, and share ideas. That's the reason I signed up for the forum in the first place.

I just hope we can all remember that we're all people, I guess, if nothing else.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »

I just don't know what's going on anymore. I hope no one is assassinating my character.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »

I just don't know what's going on anymore.

I don't either, sometimes, which is what sort of bums me out more than anything else. No one shares concerns publicly anymore. Everything's a whisper campaign or background coercion. It can apply to Labor, just as much, unfortunately.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »

My point was aimed at all parties and all corners. We all have a bad day where we lash out at someone in a response. We are all human. But long term, dedicated effort to harm another player or players on a personal level is wrong. If you guys wanna not like me for making this point, then that's your problem. I'm not here to bear grudges against other players. If you do, then I feel sorry for you.

If I'm never elected to another position when I can return to the electoral contests because of feeling this way, then that's just how it is. I'm not going to go to the IRC (I almost never go there anyway and recent efforts to go there have not gone down on my computer, probably because of some firewall or something) or PM another player and say "Hey, did you get a load of what so and so said? Let's make that goddamn loser miserable". I'm past that high school kiddie sh**t.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'll go back to being a Senator for awhile and then you guys can be rid of me for awhile as I start another chapter in my personal life. When I return, you guys can remember my words and never vote for me again and that's fine. But I just want everyone to know that no matter what your party affiliation in the game, this is still just a game. Making life miserable for another player reflects sad judgement on you, folks. Play fair.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »

And I'll just comment that this is why I do not and will not post pictures or personal information or give out any of that stuff. You really only need to be here for a day or so to realize that that is not something that you should do. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »

If I could switch gears for a moment, I'd like to publicly state my opposition to Mideast Assemblyman Hifly's bill, which to me, is a bigoted and demoralizing piece of legislation aimed specially at the LGBT community. I don't tend to comment on regional issues, especially a region I've never resided in, but this takes the cake. I hope the Mideast will end such madness. If the current Assembly won't, then they should find some folks who will.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

On the SOEA Nomination:

Ordinarily, I tend to agree with President DemPGH. I consider him a good friend and generally I think a President should have the cabinet that they desire. However, the nomination of Hifly to serve as SOEA has me a bit befuddled. Especially after his recent legislation. Luckily enough he's not nominated to serve as SOIA, I can see that would go south very quickly.

I must say that in all my dealings with him, he will have to pass a very vigorous examination in order for me to vote aye. Some of his statements during questioning have not been particularly promising from my point of view, especially with regards to new free trade agreements. I want to be assured that he would not as SOEA allow the practices of nations that use cheap labor to undermine our economy to be rewarded with such agreements.

We have to be sure that an individual with a less than positive track record in terms of policy will leave that sort of thing behind. As of now, I'm not yet convinced.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

The Terrorist Attacks:

I have up till now, not released a statement on this issue because I haven't heard any facts. I don't know anything other than the news that we've all heard at this point and is it not irresponsible for officials to speculate on something they haven't gotten all the facts on?

That said, I'm confidant that an investigation will be launched into this dastardly and cowardly attack. The people who have been murdered by whomever carried on this odious attack on Atlasian soil will be brought to justice, I am confidant.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »

The GM Situation:

The greatest portion of my Atlasian public service has been dedicated to an office I've never held. I am dedicated to the position of GM and almost every piece of legislation I've introduced or championed was designed to help the position as best I could. It's a job of great difficulty and the reason that it chews up and spits out so many people is because of that.

The President, my friend, has dismissed the GM SirNick for no reason other than he disagreed with the story. SirNick hadn't been inactive in the job. He'd only just come to the position and he was eager to do it, to boot. Was the bombing story high handed and dystopian? Yes, it was. But the game demands sometimes those things be responded to. It wasn't the aliens storyline and Nick did explain his reasoning for it, which I accepted personally as within the realm of fairness. The President had chosen to ignore the story in, what I assume was his belief that it would be similar to the aliens storyline that no one took seriously...

You guys can ask Earl about this because he was involved on a deeper level than I was, but almost ten years ago, there was a situation reminiscent of this. A power struggle between the GM (which was Earl's news network) and President Porce. It was chaotic. (Fun for a newcomer like me at the time)

I believed it then and I believe it now: The President should not have the right to dismiss the GM simply because they're doing a story they don't like. DemPGH and Sirnick, I consider both friends. I know I've pissed them both off over the last year or two on occasion, but I still consider them friends....

Getting back to the point I was making... In December, I'll be gone. I'm not up for re-election, and I know most of you wouldn't bother to vote me in again anyway because of one thing or another. But this is bigger than electoral concerns. The very integrity of the game is at stake right now just as it was 8 years ago, during that turmoil. The Senate has a responsibility here. We should all look very carefully at what is to be done here in the upcoming future.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:32 PM »

Chaos and Sh**t:

Let me make a very concise statement here in my office so you can all get a good look at it. TYRION is President! He is so legally. ANY other paramilitary or secessionist group attempting to subvert that are engaged in active treason against the Republic of Atlasia.

Those engaging in treason and holding office should rightly be removed and punished appropriately. I stand with the President and I will fight any attempt to undermine the rightful President's authority. Treason shall be crushed. Long Live our Republic!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »

What a day this has been.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: