If you could change the outcome of one of these elections, which would you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you could change the outcome of one of these elections, which would you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you could change the outcome of only one of these elections, which one would you pick?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: If you could change the outcome of one of these elections, which would you?  (Read 6530 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »

Definitely 1976.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

I'm guessing your reason for a Ford victory in '76 would be to stop the rightward drift of both major parties?

Me? If I had to pick, probably '76. Not in the poll options:  1964

Probably not stop it. Ford was the first post-New Deal President, and both parties were moving rightward as early as the late 1940s (excepting the small aberration in the late 60s/early 70s with the Democrats, which had begun moving rightward again by 1973), so that's unfortunately inevitable post Taft-Hartley and in the Cold War environment created by the Red Scare and whatnot. Ford winning in '76 does however probably throw the blame of declining living standards solely on the Republicans, probably allows for a liberal Democrat to win in 1980 and at least slows the decline of organized labor (without an all out assault on labor that we saw under Reagan).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies