A first look at Oklahoma's proposed Satanist monument.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:36:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A first look at Oklahoma's proposed Satanist monument.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A first look at Oklahoma's proposed Satanist monument.  (Read 879 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2014, 05:32:45 PM by afleitch »

http://www.vice.com/read/heres-the-first-look-at-the-new-satanic-monument-being-built-for-oklahomas-statehouse

'In January the Satanic Temple announced plans to erect a monument glorifying the Dark Lord on the front lawn of the Oklahoma Statehouse. An Indiegogo campaign was launched with what seemed like a somewhat lofty goal of $20,000, but by the time donations ended almost $30,000 had been raised. Now an artist trained in classical sculpture is toiling away in New York, crafting a Baphomet figure sitting beneath a pentagram and flanked by two children gazing upward in loyalty. When it is finished, it will be cast in bronze and, the Satanists hope, eventually displayed in Oklahoma.

The statue is a direct response to the state's installation of a Ten Commandments monument outside the Capitol in 2012. State Representative Mike Ritze paid for the controversial statue with his own money, and therefore it was considered a donation and OK to place on government property. Following that line of reasoning, the Satanic Temple submitted a formal application for their monument.'

------

It's interesting. They have gone for the same homoerotic aesthetic qualities often found in images of Jesus, except with an interesting head. It is to be cast in bronze in part to deter vandals from attacking the statue without 'hurting themselves' (or perhaps encourage it who knows) I'm liking it Cheesy
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »

'In January the Satanic Temple announced plans to erect a monument glorifying the Dark Lord on the front lawn of the Oklahoma Statehouse. An Indiegogo campaign was launched with what seemed like a somewhat lofty goal of $20,000, but by the time donations ended almost $30,000 had been raised. Now an artist trained in classical sculpture is toiling away in New York, crafting a Baphomet figure sitting beneath a pentagram and flanked by two children gazing upward in loyalty. When it is finished, it will be cast in bronze and, the Satanists hope, eventually displayed in Oklahoma.

The statue is a direct response to the state's installation of a Ten Commandments monument outside the Capitol in 2012. State Representative Mike Ritze paid for the controversial statue with his own money, and therefore it was considered a donation and OK to place on government property. Following that line of reasoning, the Satanic Temple submitted a formal application for their monument.'

------

It's interesting. They have gone for the same homoerotic aesthetic qualities often found in images of Jesus, except with an interesting head. It is to be cast in bronze in part to deter vandals from attacking the statue without 'hurting themselves' (or perhaps encourage it who knows) I'm liking it Cheesy

Well, we all know Satan is gay...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

Interesting.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »

This is the only not terrible thing to come out of Oklahoma since the Flaming Lips.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

The rendition of the little girl is much more amateurish than the other two figures, but this is still a work in progress so hopefully it will be corrected.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »

Well, interesting. That depiction of Baphomet looks like it belongs in a sci-fi series, I guess, but it is recognizable.

I learned something not long ago, and it is that Satanists don't worship the Devil in the sense that exists in movies, pop culture, or the imaginations of Christians. Rather, they recognize Satan as a literary figure who organized a needed rebellion. John Milton's Paradise Lost can be read that way.

Well, if we're to have the Ten Commandments and all of that, I say, good luck to them!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2014, 06:45:48 PM by Emperor Scott »

Well, interesting. That depiction of Baphomet looks like it belongs in a sci-fi series, I guess, but it is recognizable.

I learned something not long ago, and it is that Satanists don't worship the Devil in the sense that exists in movies, pop culture, or the imaginations of Christians. Rather, they recognize Satan as a literary figure who organized a needed rebellion. John Milton's Paradise Lost can be read that way.

Well, if we're to have the Ten Commandments and all of that, I say, good luck to them!

I'm not familiar with that, but then again I'm not entirely familiar with Satanism.  However, most Satanists in the US tend to be of the 'LaVeyan' stripe, which does not embrace worship of a literal Devil or any imagery of such.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

This thread needs some Bushie.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

This seems to be a mockery of both kitschy religious art and of Satanism rather than something I would think Satanists (at least of the LaVeyan variety) would be proud of.  Indeed, it seems to be a physical embodiment of the second and ninth* of LaVey's Nine Satanic Sins that Satanists should avoid.

*Pretentiousness and Lack of Aesthetics respectively
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »

This is very much awesome. What are the odds they'll actually put it up? Most likely it will force them to take down the 10 commandments. So much for freedom of religion.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:00:08 AM »

I would donate to have a Flying Spaghetti Monster statue added the menagerie of the OK statehouse.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »

This is what happens when Christians want to put Jesus on state land. I hope they learn their lesson and the slippery slope which ensues when the state recognizes a religion and celebrates it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »

I think it would be greatly improved if it were made of wood...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »

I never had you down as someone who supports the destruction of religious iconography Smiley
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »

I never had you down as someone who supports the destruction of religious iconography Smiley

I thought supporting the purification of heathen artefacts was among the things that I was better known for on this forum Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »

Looks badass.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »

FTFY  As I said before, the worst thing about the proposed monument is it's complete lack of esthetics.  I suppose Oklahoma should consider itself fortunate that this is supposed to be an outside display rather than an inside display.  If it were to be inside, I'm imagining a black velvet painting with fluorescent paint displayed under black light might have been the choice.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »

Aren't LaVeyans actually just atheists with an eye for subversive symbolism?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

I'm not familiar with that, but then again I'm not entirely familiar with Satanism.  However, most Satanists in the US tend to be of the 'LaVeyan' stripe, which does not embrace worship of a literal Devil or any imagery of such.

I'm not familiar with the formal Philosophical history of it (who and what ideas come from since that gets into the finer points of it), but American Satanists are also mostly atheists. It would be interesting to research. In a nutshell, I think it's about self-liberation and maybe possibly if anything is worshipped, it is knowledge. I can't say for sure, but it makes sense to conclude that.

Now, there has been occult activity in the Catholic Church since the 11th and 12th centuries that I am aware of, which is one reason why they so vigorously punished the Templars and heretics and so on. How much of it exists today I'm not sure - I'd think it is certainly out there, but probably limited. There is certainly witchcraft and natural magic, which I know about from surveying the many pseudo-sciences that persist.

Aren't LaVeyans actually just atheists with an eye for subversive symbolism?

In a nutshell!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »

Based on what I've read on Wikipedia and the few conversations with LaVeyans I've met, it seems that LaVeyan Satanism is mostly about self-worship.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

There's also the assertion that Satan as a metaphorical figure, is an anti-hero. That works itself into the iconography.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies