Sen. Nelson Says He's 'Tempted' to Run for Florida Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:31:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sen. Nelson Says He's 'Tempted' to Run for Florida Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sen. Nelson Says He's 'Tempted' to Run for Florida Governor  (Read 1025 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

"Despite assurances that he's not planning to run for governor, Democratic U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson told a group of local business leaders Wednesday he's tempted to run because he doesn't like where Florida is headed," the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

"Speculation has mounted that Nelson might enter the governor's race if Republican-turned-Democrat Charlie Crist stumbles in challenging Scott."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/04/24/nelson_says_hes_tempted_to_run_for_florida_governor.html
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

Why would Nelson throw away his pretty safe Senate seat (he won his last re-election by 13)? Republicans would almost certainly pick up his seat. This is really dumb.

*please do it*
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »

Why would Nelson throw away his pretty safe Senate seat (he won his last re-election by 13)? Republicans would almost certainly pick up his seat. This is really dumb.

*please do it*

No they wouldn't. The Democrats could just run Crist or someone like Patrick Murphy. If Nelson wins, he could wait to resign and appoint a Democratic successor.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

*please do it*

Maybe because he'd prefer to be a Governor.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

He's not throwing away his Senate seat - he runs in the primary, then he loses, then he serves in the Senate for another 4 years, and then he retires because he's in his 70s.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

Nelson won't run, he's made mild statements like this periodically since last year.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »

He's not throwing away his Senate seat - he runs in the primary, then he loses, then he serves in the Senate for another 4 years, and then he retires because he's in his 70s.

If Nelson runs there's no way he's losing a primary to former Republican Crist.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

You keep on believing that, I'll trust the poll.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »

What Sjoyce said.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

*please do it*

No they wouldn't. The Democrats could just run Crist or someone like Patrick Murphy. If Nelson wins, he could wait to resign and appoint a Democratic successor.

Why would Crist run as a Democrat again after his party throws him out AGAIN? That's pretty desperate, and he'd probably lose to a non-Scott Republican. Patrick Murphy has potential, but he also beat what may be the most crazy conservative running in a relatively neutral district. The Florida Republicans have strong candidates, while Florida Dems have Nelson, Crist, maybe Murphy, and then it's blank.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

How big will turnout be in the Democratic primary? I can't imagine most Democrats are excited about nominating a Republican.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »

Yeah, no. Scott clearly has a vested interest in going against the weaker candidate, who is obviously Crist.

That said, I'd hope Nelson stays put. We can't afford to lose his Senate seat.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »

Yeah, no. Scott clearly has a vested interest in going against the weaker candidate, who is obviously Crist.

That said, I'd hope Nelson stays put. We can't afford to lose his Senate seat.

UF (Jan-Feb '14): Nelson over Scott by 4, Crist by 7.
McLaughlin (Nov '13): Nelson by 2, Crist by 4.
Quinnipiac (Jun '13): Nelson by 10, Crist by 10.

Obviously the weaker candidate.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »

I'll take Crist being the next Florida Governor and November.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 09:56:50 PM »

Other than lackluster fundraising, which I think will pick up, I don't see how Crist is 'stumbling.'
sg0508
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »

Nelson has never been overly popular, not to mention he is one of the most arrogant S.O.Bs in Congress.  He keeps winning because the GOP has nominated three losers to face him. 
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »

Nelson has never been overly popular, not to mention he is one of the most arrogant S.O.Bs in Congress.  He keeps winning because the GOP has nominated three losers to face him. 

Nonsense. There are very few Republicans who could beat him in a neutral environment. I'd bet that the only Republican who could have won last year would have been Jeb Bush himself, and that would have been a real race. The Florida GOP don't nominate duds very often (Katherine Harris aside). He keeps winning by filling the perfect niche of being liberal enough to win primaries but not too liberal to lose the goodwill he's built up with business owners, moderate republicans and former southern Democrats that carries him over the finish line.

I'd support him over Scott in an instant, and I'd bet every dollar I have that he'd beat Crist in the primary. Florida Democrats wouldn't be supporting him if they had a legitimate candidate who could win; Nelson could most definitely win. I've always thought Scott's chances were better than polls showed because Crist's support is so ephemeral; most of his supporters (with notable exceptions) doesn't really LIKE him, they either tolerate him because they want to win or out of expectation of future rewards if he wins. His lead has already shrunk and will (I believe) continue to shrink as Scott really gets on the airwaves and reminds people of who they're voting for. I don't think Nelson has done anything that would stick as much, even with a vote for Obamacare. I hope he decides to jump in.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »

Nonsense. There are very few Republicans who could beat him in a neutral environment. I'd bet that the only Republican who could have won last year would have been Jeb Bush himself, and that would have been a real race. The Florida GOP don't nominate duds very often (Katherine Harris aside). He keeps winning by filling the perfect niche of being liberal enough to win primaries but not too liberal to lose the goodwill he's built up with business owners, moderate republicans and former southern Democrats that carries him over the finish line.

I'd support him over Scott in an instant, and I'd bet every dollar I have that he'd beat Crist in the primary. Florida Democrats wouldn't be supporting him if they had a legitimate candidate who could win; Nelson could most definitely win. I've always thought Scott's chances were better than polls showed because Crist's support is so ephemeral; most of his supporters (with notable exceptions) doesn't really LIKE him, they either tolerate him because they want to win or out of expectation of future rewards if he wins. His lead has already shrunk and will (I believe) continue to shrink as Scott really gets on the airwaves and reminds people of who they're voting for. I don't think Nelson has done anything that would stick as much, even with a vote for Obamacare. I hope he decides to jump in.
In the years of I lived in FL, I don't know how many races (primary/general) Bill McCollum lost but it became comical.  I don't agree in that the FL GOP has put its best up against him.  We'll see what happens with this though.  This race is a litmus test for the statewide democratic party.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

Nelson is too old and WASHED-UP.

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

Personally, if Nelson runs, I hope Crist crushes him in the primary. If he wanted to be governor, he should have started months ago so that Crist would go for Nelson's Senate seat instead. There's no reason to basically give a seat to the Republicans (I can't think of a competent candidate the Democrats could put up in Florida besides Crist) when we're this close to losing control of the Senate because you second guessed yourself.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »

I can see it now. In the first primary debate Crist will promise that he is 110% committed to running as a Democrat. Then when Nelson pulls ahead Crist will drop out and a week later announce he is running as an Independent.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »

I can see it now. In the first primary debate Crist will promise that he is 110% committed to running as a Democrat. Then when Nelson pulls ahead Crist will drop out and a week later announce he is running as an Independent.

And then give a speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »

No, Green Party
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »

No, Green Party

I didn't leave the Republican and Democrat parties, they left meeeeeeeeee!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »

No, Green Party

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Libertarians, given their affection for ex-Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies