x
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:18:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  x
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: x  (Read 4178 times)
Lupo
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »

He's a good communicator.  That means a lot, in my opinion.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »

I've mentioned this in another thread but Pence looks to me like one of the weakest Republican candidates.

He's too conservative for moderates, and he's too establishment for the base. There's nothing particularly inspiring about his story.

The Indiana gubernatorial election was supposed to be a cakewalk, but he won by three points against John Gregg, former Speaker of the Indiana House, a guy who hadn't held elected office in a decade.

Mitt Romney won the state by ten points in the same cycle.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »

There is no room for him his record is pretty sparse I mean what has he done in Indiana besides stopping Common Core? Just can't think of any big accomplishes that would make him stand out from other Governors like Walker, Jindal, Bush...
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »

There is no room for him his record is pretty sparse I mean what has he done in Indiana besides stopping Common Core? Just can't think of any big accomplishes that would make him stand out from other Governors like Walker, Jindal, Bush...
Stole a lot of jobs from Illinois and his vocational education programs.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »

So not a lot.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

Pretty weak record, plus trying to force through an unpopular amendment to ban gay marriage. Not that many jobs have even been "stolen" from Illinois.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 04:34:07 PM »

Compared to the likes of Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry, Jeb Bush that's nothing.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

With his aggressive neoconservative views, I don't see Pence picking Rand Paul as his running mate. He may pick some white bread, "traditional" carbon-copy like him. I don't know who that man will be, however.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »

With his aggressive neoconservative views, I don't see Pence picking Rand Paul as his running mate. He may pick some white bread, "traditional" carbon-copy like him. I don't know who that man will be, however.

Bobby Jindal seems like a plausible running mate for Pence. They both seem similar.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

Bobby Jindal seems like a plausible running mate for Pence. They both seem similar.
You're probably right. Pence and Jindal make a good ticket. Jindal fundraised for Pence in September of 2012 and called him "his soon to be second favorite governor". Jindal would be a medium-risk, low-reward choice for Pence. But the question is if Jindal could help geographically?
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120922/LOCAL08/309229988/0/local11
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 06:11:34 AM »

I don't see what Pence brings to the table that Walker doesn't.
Legislative experience helps IMO.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »

Pence could play well in several states:
1) Virginia (It's still a swing state, but there is a large evangelical population that Pence could do well with)
2) Iowa (Heavy evangelical support if Santorum/Huckabee/Carson/Bachmann/West/Palin don't run in primaries, coud play well in general election)
3) Michigan (Pence's blue-collar personality could play well in Detroit suburbs, Plymouth, Farmington Hills)
4) California (Pence talks about Reagan all the time, he plays into the Reagan heir in Orange County and other conservative areas
5) Florida (Pence could win Florida, with the conservative Panhandle, but I don't know if that's enough for a victory)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

1) Virginia (It's still a swing state, but there is a large evangelical population that Pence could do well with)

In 2004 maybe, yeah.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2004 maybe, yeah.

I'm not familiar with this "blue-collar personality."  Pence would probably be the least charismatic guy in the race.

Oh, come on.

If Pence wins California, then Hillary probably only carries Massachusetts, Vermont, New York, Maryland, and DC at this point.

Yes, Florida is a swing state in any case.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »

In 2004 maybe, yeah.[/b]

In 2004 maybe, yeah.

I'm not familiar with this "blue-collar personality."  Pence would probably be the least charismatic guy in the race.

Oh, come on.

If Pence wins California, then Hillary probably only carries Massachusetts, Vermont, New York, Maryland, and DC at this point.

Yes, Florida is a swing state in any case.

You're probably right on the California one, but he could pull at least 40% percent in California, but Virginia and maybe Iowa  is still a swing state.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »

I voted for Pence in the last couple of "who will win" threads here (I think I was the only one).  I have been saying for a while that the GOP race is wide open and ripe for additional entrants who can jump to the top tier (just like Perry did in 2011). Pence has all it takes to be in that top tier, not the least of which is the backing of the Koch brothers.

Good foresight. Sounds like Pence is thinking about it. Not sure he'll run but if so he'd quickly be top tier.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »

Here are my preliminary maps:

Close Race:

HRC 276EV
Pence 262EV

Ceiling:

Pence 273
HRC 267EV

Floor:

HRC 392EV
Pence 146EV

Hillary Clinton is shown ahead of several prospective R nominees in Arizona and Arkansas, and ahead of some in Georgia. Missouri is much like Georgia in recent elections, so it is a possible Clinton win.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

2) Iowa (Heavy evangelical support if Santorum/Huckabee/Carson/Bachmann/West/Palin don't run in primaries, coud play well in general election)
3) Michigan (Pence's blue-collar personality could play well in Detroit suburbs, Plymouth, Farmington Hills)
4) California (Pence talks about Reagan all the time, he plays into the Reagan heir in Orange County and other conservative areas
5) Florida (Pence could win Florida, with the conservative Panhandle, but I don't know if that's enough for a victory)
What is this, I don't even...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »

What is this, I don't even...
What I meant is that we have to realize that California has lots of conservative voters that fits into Pence's style of conservatism. Read his anti-amnesty and pro-life record, if you want. This could give him the California primary win, but definitely not in a general election.
https://web.archive.org/web/20081022132911/http://www.mikepence.com/immigration.htm
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

Walker & Jindal still haven't accepted a Medicaid expansion.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

Ah yes, after he finishes running Indiana into the groundto even higher heights, we can begin work on the nation as a whole.

Splendid!

This is much better.
senyor_brownbear
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2014, 06:30:52 AM »

Ah yes, after he finishes running Indiana into the groundto even higher heights, we can begin work on the nation as a whole.

Splendid!

This is much better.

True, medicaid expansion was a great idea.  I hope he campaigns on Pencecare in the primaries.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »

Ah yes, after he finishes running Indiana into the ground, we can begin work on the nation as a whole.

Splendid!

However, Jeb Bush has a better family history of running the nation into the ground.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »

I have always liked Pence. I remember when he was head of the Republican Study Committee as well as his efforts to combat the drift of the Bush-Delay GOP into a party of pork, incompetence and bigger government anchored on the right only by its propensity to bomb countries and tout its values.

I would have preferred that he be Speaker of the House though.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »

Apparently, some conservatives don't like Pence. They say in this article that he governs as a "Republican statist progressive", not like the conservative warrior he was as a House member. It looks like candidates will have to "out-conservative" each other to win the nomination.
http://thefederalist.com/2014/07/14/four-statist-policies-gov-mike-pence-champions/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies