x (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:23:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  x (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: x  (Read 4238 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

Yes! I knew that Pence would mull a run. Conservative fundraiser Richard Viguerie recently wants him as the nominee.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/top-conservative-2016-not-ted-cruzs-turn-favors-mike-pence-rand-paul-ticket/article/2546933

Let me say this now: If he's in the race, he may be the dark horse nominee. If he's the nominee, I wonder who would be his running mate. I would go with another Midwesterner or John Thune. Double down on the Midwest and don't overshadow Pence. Classic. Rob Portman would be a good VP for Pence too, but since Pence appeals to social conservatives, they may balk at that because Portman now supports same-sex marriage. Rand Paul would be good too as a VP.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »

South Dakota Sen. John Thune would be a good and the safest vice presidential running mate for Pence; he could help in Iowa and Wisconsin  but Thune may be too "establishment" for him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 08:46:38 PM by bronz4141 »

South Dakota Sen. John Thune would be a good and the safest vice presidential running mate for Pence; he could help in Iowa and Wisconsin  but Thune may be too "establishment" for him.

But would he find Thune sufficiently soothing?  He is from the Midwest, after all.

Haha. I don't know if he's soothing, but he's an experienced Midwesterner.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

With his aggressive neoconservative views, I don't see Pence picking Rand Paul as his running mate. He may pick some white bread, "traditional" carbon-copy like him. I don't know who that man will be, however.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

With his aggressive neoconservative views, I don't see Pence picking Rand Paul as his running mate. He may pick some white bread, "traditional" carbon-copy like him. I don't know who that man will be, however.

Bobby Jindal seems like a plausible running mate for Pence. They both seem similar.
You're probably right. Pence and Jindal make a good ticket. Jindal fundraised for Pence in September of 2012 and called him "his soon to be second favorite governor". Jindal would be a medium-risk, low-reward choice for Pence. But the question is if Jindal could help geographically?
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120922/LOCAL08/309229988/0/local11
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »

Pence could play well in several states:
1) Virginia (It's still a swing state, but there is a large evangelical population that Pence could do well with)
2) Iowa (Heavy evangelical support if Santorum/Huckabee/Carson/Bachmann/West/Palin don't run in primaries, coud play well in general election)
3) Michigan (Pence's blue-collar personality could play well in Detroit suburbs, Plymouth, Farmington Hills)
4) California (Pence talks about Reagan all the time, he plays into the Reagan heir in Orange County and other conservative areas
5) Florida (Pence could win Florida, with the conservative Panhandle, but I don't know if that's enough for a victory)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »

1) Virginia (It's still a swing state, but there is a large evangelical population that Pence could do well with)

In 2004 maybe, yeah.[/b]

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2004 maybe, yeah.

I'm not familiar with this "blue-collar personality."  Pence would probably be the least charismatic guy in the race.

Oh, come on.

If Pence wins California, then Hillary probably only carries Massachusetts, Vermont, New York, Maryland, and DC at this point.

Yes, Florida is a swing state in any case.

You're probably right on the California one, but he could pull at least 40% percent in California, but Virginia and maybe Iowa  is still a swing state.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »

2) Iowa (Heavy evangelical support if Santorum/Huckabee/Carson/Bachmann/West/Palin don't run in primaries, coud play well in general election)
3) Michigan (Pence's blue-collar personality could play well in Detroit suburbs, Plymouth, Farmington Hills)
4) California (Pence talks about Reagan all the time, he plays into the Reagan heir in Orange County and other conservative areas
5) Florida (Pence could win Florida, with the conservative Panhandle, but I don't know if that's enough for a victory)
What is this, I don't even...
What I meant is that we have to realize that California has lots of conservative voters that fits into Pence's style of conservatism. Read his anti-amnesty and pro-life record, if you want. This could give him the California primary win, but definitely not in a general election.
https://web.archive.org/web/20081022132911/http://www.mikepence.com/immigration.htm
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »

Apparently, some conservatives don't like Pence. They say in this article that he governs as a "Republican statist progressive", not like the conservative warrior he was as a House member. It looks like candidates will have to "out-conservative" each other to win the nomination.
http://thefederalist.com/2014/07/14/four-statist-policies-gov-mike-pence-champions/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies