The Armenian Genocide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:55:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Armenian Genocide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the US finally grow a pair and acknowledge that it happened?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: The Armenian Genocide  (Read 2247 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »

It's also worth pointing out that had the Armenian Genocide not occurred, America might not today be faced with the descendants of certain Armenian immigrants...

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »

It is shameful that we have not done so as yet.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »

It is shameful that we have not done so as yet.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »

I don't see the purpose of doing so. Will having the government make a resolution about it somehow bring the 1 million lost souls back to life? Obviously the Armenians have the facts on their side, why do they even need official recognition from a third-party government?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »

Obviously the Armenian Genocide occurred, but we have no legitimacy to insist that Turkey admit it when we won't acknowledge our own...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »

Obviously the Armenian Genocide occurred, but we have no legitimacy to insist that Turkey admit it when we won't acknowledge our own...

IIRC we apologized for that, though I don't think we acknowledged it as a genocide. However, I don't see how that means that we can't insist Turkey acknowledge theirs. If I stab a guy and I then go off on you for stabbing another guy, I'm correct even though I'm a hypocrite.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 02:41:41 AM by SPC »

IIRC we apologized for that, though I don't think we acknowledged it as a genocide. However, I don't see how that means that we can't insist Turkey acknowledge theirs. If I stab a guy and I then go off on you for stabbing another guy, I'm correct even though I'm a hypocrite.

And what good does that do when all of the original perpetrators are dead? The only effect I could see it having is improving the electoral fortunes of those who would perform similar deeds if given the opportunity.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »

Maybe its just having been a member from AH. Com, but isn't there a fairly extensive debate over whether the massacres of Armenians meet the technical definition of genocide (even if obviously mass murders did take place)?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:41 AM »

I don't see the purpose of doing so. Will having the government make a resolution about it somehow bring the 1 million lost souls back to life? Obviously the Armenians have the facts on their side, why do they even need official recognition from a third-party government?

For two reasons:
1: For the same reason that the Jews do for their genocide.
2: To pressure Turkey to recognise the genocide rather than active push their denial around the world and imprison people who recognise it.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »

Maybe its just having been a member from AH. Com, but isn't there a fairly extensive debate over whether the massacres of Armenians meet the technical definition of genocide (even if obviously mass murders did take place)?

The hostility toward the Armenian genocide on AH.com build on one (pro-Turkish) banned poster and his clique, outside AH.com the denial of the Armenian genocide are at best a fringe position, and even on AH.com the denial build more on weaseling the term genocide. The Armenian Genocide are well documented, through mostly among the former Central Powers and neutral states, who had missionaries, traders and observers in the area.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »

The hostility toward the Armenian genocide on AH.com build on one (pro-Turkish) banned poster and his clique, outside AH.com the denial of the Armenian genocide are at best a fringe position, and even on AH.com the denial build more on weaseling the term genocide. The Armenian Genocide are well documented, through mostly among the former Central Powers and neutral states, who had missionaries, traders and observers in the area.

Exactly. Not to mention that not meeting the technical definition of Genocide doesn't mean that it wasn't a horrible crime- see the Congo Free State.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »

What SPC said. I don't really care about our recognition of it. It obviously happened.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »

For two reasons:

As an ad hominem to use against those who oppose current policies toward Israel?

[/quote]2: To pressure Turkey to recognise the genocide rather than active push their denial around the world and imprison people who recognise it.
[/quote]

Again, the more likely effect would be to encourage anti-American and nationalist sentiment in Turkey. Of course, a separate discussion could be held regarding the merits of our alliance with Turkey, but I cannot see an event that occured 100 years ago under a previous regime being a rational reason to sever that alliance.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:25:48 AM »

For two reasons:

As an ad hominem to use against those who oppose current policies toward Israel?

That's one of the thing it can be used to, it can also be used when the Turkish government set up denial exhibits in America (we have seen that in other Western countries).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, the more likely effect would be to encourage anti-American and nationalist sentiment in Turkey. Of course, a separate discussion could be held regarding the merits of our alliance with Turkey, but I cannot see an event that occured 100 years ago under a previous regime being a rational reason to sever that alliance.[/quote]

I argue why it's good idea for the Armenians to push this, not why it's good reason for USA push it.

But if we have to look at that perspective (from the American government side), this is more or less the perfect moment to recognise the genocide. Turkish foreign policy have been rather anti-American for years now, and the Turkish government have sought closer ties to American enemies (like Iran and  before the civil war; Syria), at the same time Erdogan's incompetence and erratic foreign policy have succeed in isolating Turkey more ever. Now would be a good time to snub the Turks, and teach them if they continue the course they have chosen, USA will no longer care about their interests.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »

For two reasons:

That's one of the thing it can be used to, it can also be used when the Turkish government set up denial exhibits in America (we have seen that in other Western countries).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, the more likely effect would be to encourage anti-American and nationalist sentiment in Turkey. Of course, a separate discussion could be held regarding the merits of our alliance with Turkey, but I cannot see an event that occured 100 years ago under a previous regime being a rational reason to sever that alliance.

I argue why it's good idea for the Armenians to push this, not why it's good reason for USA push it.

But if we have to look at that perspective (from the American government side), this is more or less the perfect moment to recognise the genocide. Turkish foreign policy have been rather anti-American for years now, and the Turkish government have sought closer ties to American enemies (like Iran and  before the civil war; Syria), at the same time Erdogan's incompetence and erratic foreign policy have succeed in isolating Turkey more ever. Now would be a good time to snub the Turks, and teach them if they continue the course they have chosen, USA will no longer care about their interests.

[/quote]

Armenia has always pushed for recognition of their genocide. Our justification for refusing to recognize it has always been fear of alienating Turkey. That may have been a good enough reason during the Cold War when Turkey was in NATO, but it makes no sense now. Turkey brings us nothing to the table. Erdogan is crazy and fancies himself some kind of modern-day fusion of Ataturk and the Ottoman sultans.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »

You do know AHP was banned? Like, a while ago?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »

Until Turkey's strategic position on the map changes, we won't recognize it. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:56 AM »

My views havent changed since last time: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=121239.0
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »

Perhaps the better question is, will the U.S. ever officially recognize it?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:41 AM »

Moral reasons aside for a moment, refusing to acknowledge an obvious historical fact is pretty stupid.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »

Moral reasons aside for a moment, refusing to acknowledge an obvious historical fact is pretty stupid.

Does Congress have to issue an official statement addressing all historical facts? When can we expect a resolution acknowledging the Czarist ethnic cleansing of Circassians or the supression of the Indian rebellion?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 01:16:15 AM »

Does Congress have to issue an official statement addressing all historical facts? When can we expect a resolution acknowledging the Czarist ethnic cleansing of Circassians or the supression of the Indian rebellion?

Considering the U.S. government had been, for political reasons, pretending for years the slaughter of 1.5 million people because of their nationality was something else than "genocide", I'd say yes, that would be nice.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Considering the U.S. government had been, for political reasons, pretending for years the slaughter of 1.5 million people because of their nationality was something else than "genocide", I'd say yes, that would be nice.

Could you provide a source for the U.S. government actively engaging in genocide denial, as opposed to merely not discouraging it by their ally?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

Could you provide a source for the U.S. government actively engaging in genocide denial, as opposed to merely not discouraging it by their ally?

I'm sure Andrew Jackson didn't consider himself genocidal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies