FL Governor Hypothetical Dem Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:05:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  FL Governor Hypothetical Dem Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Charlie Crist

Bill Nelson

Nan Rich

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: FL Governor Hypothetical Dem Primary  (Read 685 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »

Nelson fits my politics better, but I'd stick with Crist.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »

The one who can win.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »

Nelson fits my politics better, but I'd stick with Crist.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »

i, too, support bill nelson.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »

Bill Nelson. Like Hanabusa, Crist is just changing some of his views to try and adhere to Democratic standards, but even he's still too socially conservative for me while the Scott/Nelson polling done showed he can win and he, at least, could run a better campaign than Charlie has so far. The Senate seat shouldn't be a problem either because Nelson could just wait to resign and then appoint Nan Rich or even Charlie Crist to the seat if they agreed to drop out of the primary.

Also, apparently there's a guy named Farid Khavari running in the Democratic primary. He formerly ran as an Independent and supports raising the minimum wage.

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »

Bill Nelson. Like Hanabusa, Crist is just changing some of his views to try and adhere to Democratic standards, but even he's still too socially conservative for me while the Scott/Nelson polling done showed he can win and he, at least, could run a better campaign than Charlie has so far. The Senate seat shouldn't be a problem either because Nelson could just wait to resign and then appoint Nan Rich or even Charlie Crist to the seat if they agreed to drop out of the primary.

Uh, there was a poll with Nelson losing by 13, that's not running a better campaign than a guy shown to lead 6 in polling.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »

Uh, there was a poll with Nelson losing by 13, that's not running a better campaign than a guy shown to lead 6 in polling.

most recent poll in the database:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

of course, that's not what i was talking about. no, what i meant is the fact that bill nelson has won every election he's been in except his 1990 primary challenge of lawton chiles. crist has a significantly worse record.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »

A poll from November when the FL Democrats were desperate to get whoever they could get to challenge the then even more vulnerable Scott. Nelson would have an easy time tarnishing Crist's record and the only defense Crist has for himself so far is "But he's a fed and doesn't know how to run Florida!" It seems pretty hypocritical since Floridians loved Crist's job as their Governor at the time and he went off and ruined a Senate race he had no chance of winning with Meek in the race and gave Florida Rick Scott in the process. It's unforgivable, if you ask me because Scott would have never become Governor if Crist just ran for re-election.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »

A poll from November when the FL Democrats were desperate to get whoever they could get to challenge the then even more vulnerable Scott. Nelson would have an easy time tarnishing Crist's record and the only defense Crist has for himself so far is "But he's a fed and doesn't know how to run Florida!" It seems pretty hypocritical since Floridians loved Crist's job as their Governor at the time and he went off and ruined a Senate race he had no chance of winning with Meek in the race and gave Florida Rick Scott in the process. It's unforgivable, if you ask me because Scott would have never become Governor if Crist just ran for re-election.
Maybe it's because I think Bill Nelson is awful, but I'd rather have Crist, who's managed to actually become center left over the past couple of years.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

Maybe it's because I think Bill Nelson is awful, but I'd rather have Crist, who's managed to actually become center left over the past couple of years.
Though Crist is only becoming more "moderate" as he calls it to avoid the much needed opposition from his left. He's refusing to debate Nan Rich who isn't even seen as much of a threat, but could make it competitive by noting Charlie's blatant flip-flopping and carpetbagging in the southern part of the state and exposing him as yet another Republican running the state. Where Nelson would come in? Basically, the insurance policy if Charlie is cruising to the nomination and avoiding the issues as much as he can pre-primary. SSM seems like the only thing he can even tout about now (even though he used to be anti-SSM), but he's still pro-capitol punishment, supports tighter borders and no amnesty, is basically pro-life, pro-gun, I mean, still awful awful stuff in a state that shouldn't be hard for a Democrat to get elected statewide in especially when electability is nonexistent with this race when Rick freaking Scott is the GOP nominee again. Put Alan Grayson on the ballot and he could beat him.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »

Rich, but I could live with Nelson
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

Crist.

I don't want Democrats to waste the Senate seat.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »

Crist for strategic reasons.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »

Nelson
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

Not the one who supports torture, certainly.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »

This, also because I think Crist will ensure his "conversion" is geniune, because it's not like he can rely on the Republicans anymore.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »

This, also because I think Crist will ensure his "conversion" is geniune, because it's not like he can rely on the Republicans anymore.

so you're saying in addition to being a huge sore loser, he's also a disgusting opportunist? and this is a good thing how?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 07:38:40 AM »

Nan Rich... Nelson isn't going to run, he's just screwing with us (he would have announced by now if he was) and almost any DEMOCRAT can beat Crist (whether or not his conversion is genuine, because his base, the Corrine Browns, and Alan Graysons of the State won't buy it even if it is)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »

so you're saying in addition to being a huge sore loser, he's also a disgusting opportunist? and this is a good thing how?

Meh, maybe's it because I live in a very conservative state, but I have no problem with opportunists and party-switchers if they clearly have no where else to go after switching parties, especially if polling reveals that they're still popular. For example, if Jon Huntsman changed his views to be center-lefty and Democratic, polled well in a Utah statewide race, and clearly burned his bridges with the GOP, I'd support him.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »

Crist.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 07:39:08 AM »

Crist.

This would be the biggest argument for Nelson, IMO.

Nelson would get to appoint his replacement who would be running in 2016, (presumably) a good year for Democrats. Nelson himself would likely be retiring in 2018; running an incumbent who's won in 2016 would be better for Dems than having it open.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »

Nelson
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »

a state that shouldn't be hard for a Democrat to get elected statewide in especially when electability is nonexistent with this race when Rick freaking Scott is the GOP nominee again. Put Alan Grayson on the ballot and he could beat him.

Yes, if you put Alan Grayson on the ballot Rick Scott could beat him.

Crist has consistently outperformed Nelson in the polls, though either Nelson or Crist (but certainly not anyone else, especially not Rich) could win. I'm closer to Crist ideologically and geographically, so him.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »

Crist has consistently outperformed Nelson in the polls,

i thought nelson vs crist has barely been polled.

wikipedia lists three polls, with crist doing 0, 2, and 3 points better than nelson. not really a strong basis for claiming crist is "consistently outperforming" nelson imo.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies