LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:51:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF  (Read 6488 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/04/26/3431213/clippers-owner-donald-sterling-tells-girlfriend-dont-bring-black-people-to-my-games/

Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Cilppers, has been caught telling his half African-American, Half Mexican, to stop posting selfies with "black people" on Instagram, and to not bring them to his games.

Of his girlfriend's admiration for Magic Johnson;

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This isn't the beginning of Sterling's issues with the racial minefield. In 2006 Sterling was sued by the Department of Justice on allegations that he, his wife, and their family trust refused to rent to African-Americans and families with Children in Los Angeles. In 2009 Lakers legend and Clippers General Manager Elgin Baylor sued Sterling for being racist and cheap.

That lawsuit dug up tunes like this;

Sterling telling Baylor what he wanted his team to look like;

During negotiations with former player Danny Manning;

Sterling's view of Hispanics;

Sterling's view of African-Americans;

The NBA has the highest percentage of African-American players of all major American Sports.

This is also NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's first year on the job (he took over in February). What should he do?

Is there anything the City of Los Angeles can do (Like force the Clippers to leave LA?)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »

Do the Clippers have fans yet?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »

Sterling racism is no surprise to anyone who follows the NBA. The league have been trying to get rid of him or at least 20 years now.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

No surprise given he's a self-hating, racist Jew who changed his last name to something more WASP-y to hide his vile Hebrew roots.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

Complains about black people.....owns a basketball team.

Its incredible how stupid people are sometimes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »

Why?  These days, being a team owner is the only legal way to own people you regularly buy and sell.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »

Also, the fact that he's getting an award from the NAACP... yeah.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 12:17:36 PM by OC »

Sports is becoming more and more internatiinalized. As Blacks and other ethic minorities are coming overseas. However, ethic minorities still have trouble paying for games. That's why he feels he can get away with comment.

Getting athletes from other countries is where teams are spending their time in, not necessarily in US, but it was a bad comment.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »

Er, it's not like a racist white person having black people work for him is super uncommon in American history.

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »

Er, it's not like a racist white person having black people work for him is super uncommon in American history.

That's kind of different than paying them millions.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »

Will the conservative media defend Sterling the way they defended the owner of the Redskins  or the former CEO of Mozilla? The left is going to go after him and get calls for boycotts if he doesn't sell the team. Traditionally the Eric Bollings of the world defend anyone the Al Sharptons of the world go after, of course that is how they got in bed with NV rancher Bundy so maybe this time they will let Sterling go without defending his free speech and free market rights to be a racist and own what he wants.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »

Will the conservative media defend Sterling the way they defended the owner of the Redskins  or the former CEO of Mozilla? The left is going to go after him and get calls for boycotts if he doesn't sell the team. Traditionally the Eric Bollings of the world defend anyone the Al Sharptons of the world go after, of course that is how they got in bed with NV rancher Bundy so maybe this time they will let Sterling go without defending his free speech and free market rights to be a racist and own what he wants.

Honestly I'm not sure he should just get away with selling the team... He really should be forced to give it away...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »

He shouldn't be forced to do anything.  He owns the team.  If he gets hit financially, it may be advantageous for him to sell the team, but I doubt there'll be any mass boycotts.  I don't see sports fans going on any sort of massive boycott, and most people will have forgotten about this in a week.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »

What kind of demographic is a Clippers fan anyways? I always wondered that, considering the popularity of the Lakers.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »

What kind of demographic is a Clippers fan anyways? I always wondered that, considering the popularity of the Lakers.

They're division champions, so basically "anyone who lives near, and especially in, LA." This is a bandwagon kind of town if there ever was one.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »

Clippers fans don't actually exist.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »

They're division champions, so basically "anyone who lives near, and especially in, LA." This is a bandwagon kind of town if there ever was one.

OK, but who was going to their games when they sucked?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »

OK, but who was going to their games when they sucked?

The celebrities that got turned away at Lakers games? IDK
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

I always wondered why they didn't try to market their team to blacks and/or Hispanics, like the White Sox. I guess this explains why.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »

I always wondered why they didn't try to market their team to blacks and/or Hispanics, like the White Sox. I guess this explains why.

Yeah, I thought they may have, because I could never figure out the purpose of their existence (and no one here is being helpful on that front Tongue), but this scandal proves otherwise.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

The Clippers exist because their existence has always been profitable to Donald Sterling. That they have been profitable is largely the result of Donald Sterling's commitment to penury.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »

They do, it is just hard to be successful at it when you are in the same town with the Lakers. Off-topic, but I do hope if they are able to push Sterling out that the new ownership moves this team to Seattle, because that is the city that deserves to have a team.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »

Off-topic, but I do hope if they are able to push Sterling out that the new ownership moves this team to Seattle, because that is the city that deserves to have a team.

I didn't think Seattle was such an awful town that it needed to be punished by having a primo uomo team owner inflicted upon it. Tongue That said, I think Seattle gaining an NBA team is contingent upon it first getting a new arena which in turn is contingent upon it gaining an NHL team.  Seattle would be a leading candidate if the NHL were to expand, but I don't see an NHL team that would be likely to move there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »

He shouldn't be forced to do anything.  He owns the team.  If he gets hit financially, it may be advantageous for him to sell the team, but I doubt there'll be any mass boycotts.  I don't see sports fans going on any sort of massive boycott, and most people will have forgotten about this in a week.

Membership of the league for the team isn't a right, through. So, in that way, NBA can force him out if they decide to do so.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

Membership of the league for the team isn't a right, through. So, in that way, NBA can force him out if they decide to do so.

Well that depends on what the franchise contract says.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies