LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:05:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling under fire for taped racist comments to GF  (Read 6399 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »

He shouldn't be forced to do anything.  He owns the team.  If he gets hit financially, it may be advantageous for him to sell the team, but I doubt there'll be any mass boycotts.  I don't see sports fans going on any sort of massive boycott, and most people will have forgotten about this in a week.

Membership of the league for the team isn't a right, through. So, in that way, NBA can force him out if they decide to do so.

Well that depends on what the franchise contract says.

Experts seemed to say than the easiest way to do so would be to just suspend him for an indefinite period, like it can suspend any coach or player.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 11:59:11 PM »

He shouldn't be forced to do anything.  He owns the team.  If he gets hit financially, it may be advantageous for him to sell the team, but I doubt there'll be any mass boycotts.  I don't see sports fans going on any sort of massive boycott, and most people will have forgotten about this in a week.

Membership of the league for the team isn't a right, through. So, in that way, NBA can force him out if they decide to do so.

Experts seemed to say than the easiest way to do so would be to just suspend him for an indefinite period, like it can suspend any coach or player.

Before even investigating it?

And does the NBA really want to go down the road of suspending people whenever they make racist remarks?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »

And does the NBA really want to go down the road of suspending people whenever they make racist remarks?

No, after the investigation, obviously. But I'm sure there is already studying the options of the NBA should they decide to sanction him.

Most professionnal leagues are suspending players uttering racist remarks, as far as I know. Or fine them. Another issue is than many players are black and the players association isn't happy at all. The new commissionner doesn't want a rocky start with them.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »

No, after the investigation, obviously. But I'm sure there is already studying the options of the NBA should they decide to sanction him.

Most professionnal leagues are suspending players uttering racist remarks, as far as I know. Or fine them. Another issue is than many players are black and the players association isn't happy at all. The new commissionner doesn't want a rocky start with them.

So what would an "indefinite suspension" look like?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 12:47:43 AM by MaxQue »

He shouldn't be forced to do anything.  He owns the team.  If he gets hit financially, it may be advantageous for him to sell the team, but I doubt there'll be any mass boycotts.  I don't see sports fans going on any sort of massive boycott, and most people will have forgotten about this in a week.

So what would an "indefinite suspension" look like?

Like any suspension, but without an end. It would be like a ban from NBA events.

EDIT: And, more significant, team players seem very angry. They threw the team sweatshirts on the ground during warm-up (doing the warm-up in plain clothes without any words written on) and they wore black socks and armbands during the match.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »

Off-topic, but I do hope if they are able to push Sterling out that the new ownership moves this team to Seattle, because that is the city that deserves to have a team.

I didn't think Seattle was such an awful town that it needed to be punished by having a primo uomo team owner inflicted upon it. Tongue That said, I think Seattle gaining an NBA team is contingent upon it first getting a new arena which in turn is contingent upon it gaining an NHL team.  Seattle would be a leading candidate if the NHL were to expand, but I don't see an NHL team that would be likely to move there.

QQQQQQUUUUUEEEEBBBBBEEEEECCCC CCCCIIITTTYYY
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »

Off-topic, but I do hope if they are able to push Sterling out that the new ownership moves this team to Seattle, because that is the city that deserves to have a team.

I didn't think Seattle was such an awful town that it needed to be punished by having a primo uomo team owner inflicted upon it. Tongue That said, I think Seattle gaining an NBA team is contingent upon it first getting a new arena which in turn is contingent upon it gaining an NHL team.  Seattle would be a leading candidate if the NHL were to expand, but I don't see an NHL team that would be likely to move there.

Actually, we have an ownership group (Chris Hansen/Steve Balmer/Nordstrom) that have already gotten a plan to make a state-of-the-art arena, which cannot be built until we are granted an NBA team. So we are actually ready, its the NBA that isn't. Silver has stated that expansion isn't in the works (at least not until after the arena agreement expires). NHL does want to expand to Seattle, but because a NBA team needs to come first, they can't because there is no arena being built.

I'd love to get the Clippers as opposed to another team, since it doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase and LA has the Lakers, but I doubt the NBA will move a team from LA.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »

What kind of demographic is a Clippers fan anyways? I always wondered that, considering the popularity of the Lakers.

They're division champions, so basically "anyone who lives near, and especially in, LA." This is a bandwagon kind of town if there ever was one.

OK, but who was going to their games when they sucked?

The Clippers only point is that their tickets are cheaper than the Lakers. Right now they have fans simply because the Lakers are awful. But bargain has always been the business model.

The franchise was created for San Diego and nobody wanted it to be in LA, but Sterling managed to sue his way into the city.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

The franchise was created for San Diego and nobody wanted it to be in LA, but Sterling managed to sue his way into the city.
Actually, they started off as the Buffalo Braves, tho the Clippers name does date from the team's move to San Diego.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:14 AM »

Like any suspension, but without an end. It would be like a ban from NBA events.

EDIT: And, more significant, team players seem very angry. They threw the team sweatshirts on the ground during warm-up (doing the warm-up in plain clothes without any words written on) and they wore black socks and armbands during the match.

So he can still own the team, he just can't attend games?  That doesn't seem very harsh.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 01:33:50 AM »

So he can still own the team, he just can't attend games?  That doesn't seem very harsh.

Presumably such a ban would mean he wouldn't be able to vote on anything decided by the owners and would probably limit how much control he has over the day to day management of the club.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »

Presumably such a ban would mean he wouldn't be able to vote on anything decided by the owners and would probably limit how much control he has over the day to day management of the club.

And at that point, we're crossing over from a "suspension" to something more serious.  They can call it an indefinite suspension, but it'd be interesting to see what the franchise contract actually says.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »

Regardless of what the NBA may do, sponsors are dropping the Clippers like a rotten egg.  Not certain that is a good idea tho.  They really stink when you crack the shell.  Probably would be better to toss it like a hot potato.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

He's banned for life, $2.5 million fine and will be forced to relinquish his shares.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2014, 01:38:36 PM by Kevin »

He's banned for life, $2.5 million fine and will be forced to relinquish his shares.

Call me out for this all you want but this punishment for Sterling's remarks seem extreme.

I mean to force the sale of team owned by someone due to their remarks seems over the line.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

He's banned for life and fined, but where did you hear that he will be forced to sell his shares of the team?

I see this as a bad move by the NBA.  With sponsors dropping and Sterling admitting that the words on the tape were his, it looked as if he was on his way out by his own choice.  By the NBA stepping in, they're setting a precedent here.  Are they going to ban players or anyone for life when they make inflammatory racist statements?  They've opened themselves up to a lot of problems down the road, and I think Mark Cuban made a good point that you need to be careful when dealing with the rights of owners.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »

Silver announced it in his presser. He said he's confident of having the 3/4 of owners required.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »

Call me out for this all you want but this punishment for Sterling's remarks seem extreme.

I mean to force the sale of team owned by someone due to their remarks seems over the line.

From a local sports guy in Milwaukee:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

I never heard of this guy before the other day and couldn't care less what happens to him.  The NBA is a sh**t leage, and he's probably not the only one who thinks this stuff, it's just he's stupid enough to let it be made public.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 02:52:13 PM »

Ah, now that there are consequences for his racism, watch the right-wingers fall over themselves to defend him.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

Silver announced it in his presser. He said he's confident of having the 3/4 of owners required.

I would be surprised if a single owner voted against it.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »

I don't know what the point of the fine is. If he's not going to associate with the league, then why pay a fine?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

Good riddance to Sterling. I don't see how anyone, black or not, on the team could even play for him.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »

I don't know what the point of the fine is. If he's not going to associate with the league, then why pay a fine?

The money of the fine will be give to an organisation fighting racism.

NBA had no choice, Players Association was pressuring them and sponsors were leaving. They had to do something.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »

He's always been hated by the NBA and the owners in general and has a long history of being detrimental to the league.  He'll make out like a bandit,  of course.  He paid 12.5 million for the team in 1981 and it's estimated that he could get above $1 billion for it now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies