Do you enjoy fishing or hunting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:58:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you enjoy fishing or hunting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
I've gone fishing, and I enjoyed it

I've gone hunting, and I enjoyed it

I've gone fishing, but I didn't enjoy it

I've gone hunting, but I didn't enjoy it

I've never gone fishing

I've never gone hunting

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Do you enjoy fishing or hunting?  (Read 1810 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2014, 07:30:39 AM by Emperor Scott »

Fishing and hunting, from my perspective, have become vastly underrated activities.  Personally, I have never gone hunting but I fished several times during my vacations as a child by our lake house in New Hampshire.  I usually enjoyed it, save for the time I ended up with a hook getting caught in my thumb.  My dad accompanied me for most of my experiences, but told me years after we sold the lake house that he was never really fond of fishing yet pretended to be so that we could spend quality time together.

Good times... *sheds tear*
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »

Never hunted, never will. Used to fish, but wouldn't do it now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »

I enjoy fishing. Never hunter and the mere thought of going out and shooting animals is abhorrent to me. I enjoy shooting (airgun, bow), but for targets only Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:43:06 AM »

I enjoy fishing. Never hunter and the mere thought of going out and shooting animals is abhorrent to me. I enjoy shooting (airgun, bow), but for targets only Tongue

I feel the same way about hunting, although I'm okay with it as long as the animal isn't being wasted purely for sport.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »

I've done and enjoyed both, though by no means do either regularly....or even in the last couple of decades.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »

I enjoy both. Didn't do any hunting this year, but certainly had my fair share of fishing the past few months.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »

I've never done either but I would probably prefer hunting.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »

When my father in law was alive we used to fish off his boat on Lake Erie for walleye and some bass, and we'd pull the boat once a year and head up to Olcott (sp?) NY and fish for salmon on Lake Ontario.  Loved every minute of it.  Miss the good times we had a lot.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »

I've fished when I was much younger, and I did enjoy it. It's been a long time since I've done it, but I wouldn't mind doing it again.

I've never gone hunting and I have no desire to ever do so. I strongly object to hunting for sport. However, I don't have a problem with hunting for food (in which case, I firmly believe the entire animal should be used).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »

Never hunted (never will), and fished a couple of times, and was bored silly. I suppose fly fishing while hiking up a river in wading boots might be fun. But just sitting around waiting for something to bite would require a lot of THC to become tolerable.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

Last two, but I'm blessed to live right by a forest and as a kid I spent a lot of time exploring and finding bugs and salamanders.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »

I've been both. I prefer hunting, but I don't mind freshwater fishing. Unfortunately, where I live (on a side canal of the intercoastal) salt water fishing is all that's available to me, unless I go up to my Uncles camp by YeeHaw Junction.

I go hunting twice a year and only fish in the summer, so I'm far from an outdoorsy type.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »

I've fished when I was much younger, and I did enjoy it. It's been a long time since I've done it, but I wouldn't mind doing it again.

I've never gone hunting and I have no desire to ever do so. I strongly object to hunting for sport. However, I don't have a problem with hunting for food (in which case, I firmly believe the entire animal should be used).

This describes me almost exactly, though I wouldn't say that I strongly object to sport hunting, and might even be able to consider it a positive thing in cases where, say, there's an invasive species that needs to be culled for the good of the rest of the ecosystem.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »

I enjoy fishing, but then most of the time I'm sitting on a dock in a lawn chair drinking Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »

Done both, enjoyed both.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »

done both, the latter once. enjoyed it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

I don't enjoy either activity. I've never hunted and have no desire to do so, and I also find fishing very, very dull - and also unnecessary. If I want fish, I go to the market. Smiley Really good fish like walleye aren't easy to come by (and are expensive), but I have no desire to fish for them. Im also generally too busy with things I do like to do to engage in either activity.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

When my father in law was alive we used to fish off his boat on Lake Erie for walleye and some bass, and we'd pull the boat once a year and head up to Olcott (sp?) NY and fish for salmon on Lake Ontario.  Loved every minute of it.  Miss the good times we had a lot.

Olcott is an excellent place to fish, so I can imagine how enjoyable it would have been.  I'm about a 15-20 minute drive and yet fail to go up there summer after summer. 

I enjoy fishing, provided I have a cooler of beer and someone to go with.  Hunting on the other hand, I find relatively boring.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »

I've never did either one and I never will.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »

Last time I fished was several years ago, so I haven't had a chance to while mature enough to maybe not hate it. Have never hunted, though I'd like to.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »

I've done both - fishing for many years while hunting only a few times. Both are haunting to me. Both are cruel, vicious, ultimately selfish activities. There is no need for an overwhelming majority of Westerners to actively inspire fear in, inflict pain upon, or otherwise distress animals for either sustenance or sport. I am tolerant of it to some extent - especially if kills are mercifully quick and part of healthful population management - but on the whole I disapprove.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »

FWIW, as far as I can tell the main point of fishing is not to catch fish so much as to have a background pretext to relax and enjoy the outdoors; engage in father-son bonding or pound back some cheap beer or something.  Worth noting that back when I fished it was always catch-and-release.  Though we were never particularly good at actually catching fish- the few times we actually did so was invariably sunfish in stocked ponds that we would of course throw back.

Similarly, I suspect that much of the appeal of fly-fishing is that it's a pretext to get crafty and make your own lures.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »

I really hate fishing.  Sitting in a sun parched boat... either hot and annoyed by massive biting horse flies... or freezing your ass off in a cold wind... just to catch a few fish.

When someone asks you "do you know where your fish comes from?"  just say "yes.  The store."  Let someone else waste time catching them for you.

And I say that as a proud Minnesotan, where not liking fishing is tantamount to treason.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »

I have never gone fishing and I have never gone hunting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies