Rand Paul: I wouldn't try to ban abortion or overturn Roe v Wade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:12:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul: I wouldn't try to ban abortion or overturn Roe v Wade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rand Paul: I wouldn't try to ban abortion or overturn Roe v Wade  (Read 3837 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »

Wow, he really doesn't want that Nomination does he?

Maybe he thinks that he can run above the fray of the Republican primaries. If the GOP has a lot of serious candidates who are running to the right in order to win primaries in 2016, Paul could be viewed as the most reasonable voice.
But this is the Republican party, where you're not allowed to support abortion.

Someone needs to notify Governor Brian Sandoval pronto then. Smiley

It might be a risky for a Republican to take a pro-abortion view, but I don't think it is a dealbreaker. I am pro-life, but I don't think that I would rule out a candidate simply because they don't share my view on abortion, though the candidate would have to articulate their perspective on the issue intelligently for me to support him or her. Paul's attempt to appear ambivalent about abortion might not play well in the Deep South, but it would probably help him in some of the early primary states like New Hampshire and Nevada.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »

I hope he doesn't.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »

Weird. I'm trying to see how he believes this will help more than hurt in the primaries. Maybe it's part of his effort to reach out to Wall Street establishment types?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:01 PM »

Weird. I'm trying to see how he believes this will help more than hurt in the primaries. Maybe it's part of his effort to reach out to Wall Street establishment types?

He was at a university being interviewed by Axelrod.  He likes to try to put things in terms that are relatable to his audience.
GaussLaw
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »

I hate abortion as any sane person should.  I hate Roe v. Wade.  However, I think Roe v. Wade is a necessary evil.  Without it, there would be many back-alley unsterilized abortions unnecessarily putting the life of the woman at risk.  Abortions would not be lower with or without Roe, it's just more sterile with Roe.  It reminds me of the Prohibition in the pre-WW2 era.  Drug use did not go down during Prohibition, it was just mostly hidden.

Problem is, NARAL now admits they faked those numbers that claimed there were massive amounts of back-alley abortions before Roe vs. Wade.

(And I'm a pro-choice Democrat, mind you.  But liars are liars, and pro-choice/legal abortion groups are notorious for lying.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »

He was at a university being interviewed by Axelrod.  He likes to try to put things in terms that are relatable to his audience.

A politician is NOT going to flip (or heavily shift) their view on abortion just to better "connect" with a crowd they're speaking to.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

A politician is NOT going to flip (or heavily shift) their view on abortion just to better "connect" with a crowd they're speaking to.

What specifically did he say is a substantive flip from what he has said before (and misleading thread title doesn't count)?
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »

At least he's taking a more libertarian position on the issue. A federal abortion amendment is not libertarian...
It actually is

If the Taxpayers' Party had existed in 1988, Ron and Rand Paul would have never referred to themselves as libertarian. They're paleoconservatives, cut from the same cloth as Pat Buchanan.
Um so what are you saying?

What I just said. The only reason Paul ran as a Libertarian was because it was the only alternative right-wing party at the time. If the Taxpayers' Party (now the Constitution Party) had existed he would have probably gone with them instead, because they're closer to his ideology.
Hamster
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see how this is a massively outside the Republican mainstream. He's just signalling he won't be campaigning on abortion.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »

He's lying. He once tried to sneak fetal personhood into a flood aid bill. Or something porkish like that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »

So is he not going to appoint Supreme Court justices? Or what? Because if Kennedy, Ginsburg or Breyer retire then he gets to appoint the 5th vote for making abortion illegal in half the country (nevermind that it's already de fact illegal again in a handful of states).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »

What specifically did he say is a substantive flip from what he has said before (and misleading thread title doesn't count)?

Saying he would only seek 'incrimental' measures between 'the two extremems' is MARKEDLY different than the guy who introduced the Life At Conception Act.

Anti-abortion activists like Tony Perkins seem to agree, fwiw.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »

If you think Rand Paul is a more likely nominee than Ted Cruz you are ridiculous.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

If you think Rand Paul is a more likely nominee than Ted Cruz you are ridiculous.

Ted Cruz will not win the nomination.  Period.  Period.  PERIOD.  Keep dreaming.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:53 AM »

This guy is definitely pointless.

He will lose badly.
A shame he won't get the republican nomination, he would be a total disaster Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies