Bob Schieffer: Romney may consider 2016 run if Jeb Bush doesn’t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:08:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bob Schieffer: Romney may consider 2016 run if Jeb Bush doesn’t
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bob Schieffer: Romney may consider 2016 run if Jeb Bush doesn’t  (Read 3588 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Washington Post

MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »

Please no. Please. Just no.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »

I wonder if he would lose the exact same states that he could not carry in 2012, or if he would do worse against Hillary Clinton? Romney seems like a suitable Treasury Secretary, but I don't think he could win the presidency.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 10:40:47 AM by bronz4141 »

I don't know if his time has passed or not. Some people still like him. As his vice-presidential choices he may pick John Thune, Tim Pawlenty, Rob Portman, or even Paul Ryan again. A Romney-Pawlenty 2016 ticket could win Iowa or Wisconsin but for some people, they don't like Pawlenty. I don't know if Republicans would want Romney-Ryan 2016 again though.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 10:58:49 AM by Mordecai »

You know, I could actually see this happening. Especially if Jeb Bush decides not to run and the establishment promises to give Romney their full support. And especially considering that he now has bragging rights for Russia's annexation of Crimea.

He was actually on Face the Nation last month with Schieffer, criticizing Obama and Clinton for underestimating Putin. I thought it was interesting that he specifically made a jab at Clinton in his response because she's the 2016 Democratic presidential front-runner. I guess now we know why.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:08 AM »

The thing is, I can sort of see Romney at least flirting with the idea of a run if the last election were close, but it really wasn't.  Romney won't have the 'electability' argument on his side this time.  The fact that the Republicans will probably have better candidates next time around (after all, the 2012 bench won't be hard to beat) doesn't help him, either.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »

Mitt Romney has become cute and endearing now that he's no longer a presidential prospect. I don't want that to go away.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »

I can't see Jeb running against Hillary. I don't think he wants the presidency as much as she does, nor is he (or anyone else on earth) interested in a Clinton vs Bush election.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

I can't see Jeb running against Hillary. I don't think he wants the presidency as much as she does, nor is he (or anyone else on earth) interested in a Clinton vs Bush election.
It'd be hilarious if he ran, picked Ben Quayle, Clinton runs and picks Albert Gore Jr. (Wins in 2008), and Ross Perot Jr. launched an Independent campaign of his own. I'd laugh at that.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

The thing is, I can sort of see Romney at least flirting with the idea of a run if the last election were close, but it really wasn't.  Romney won't have the 'electability' argument on his side this time.  The fact that the Republicans will probably have better candidates next time around (after all, the 2012 bench won't be hard to beat) doesn't help him, either.

Aren't the establishment coalescing around Jeb Bush? That's pretty desperate, considering it would be so easy for the Democrats to beat him about the head with his brother's failings. On the other hand, Romney could campaign as the "I told you so" candidate trying to save the country from Obama's third term.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:34 PM »

While Romney made some obvious mistakes, it's not clear that he was a bad candidate.

He overperformed most Republican candidates for statewide office, and lost narrowly in the popular vote (the difference between him and Obama was less than 1/25th of the vote) in a political environment that favored Obama (the economy was improving, Obama's response to Hurricane Sandy was well-received.)

He might not be that bad in 2016, especially with less of a learning curve than anyone else.

There are some significant negatives. He's not exactly a fresh face, and a few months older than Hillary Clinton. All the political campaigns have meant that there are a lot of public statements to scrutinize and attack.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

Well, if they want to have a three-time loser... I can only imagine the damage that would do to the Republican party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »

Mitt Romney needs to grow a mustache, see if he looks like his idol Thomas Dewey Tongue
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »

It's Tom Dewey all over again.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »

Please let this happen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »

If he couldn't beat in an incumbent President in a shaky economy, his chances at an open seat are even less. Romney already demonstrated why he was a bad candidate, it's not like much will change if he runs again.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »

While I agree Romney probably isn't going to run, I'm just not sure who the GOP will get that's a better candidate....
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »

If he couldn't beat in an incumbent President in a shaky economy, his chances at an open seat are even less. Romney already demonstrated why he was a bad candidate, it's not like much will change if he runs again.

I thought that it was easier to win an open race than defeat an incumbent. Sure, the economy was shaky, but that didn't mean that Obama was a pariah in 2012. Romney is probably not a good candidate, but his chances might not be that bad. His floor in 2016 would probably be at about 45-46%, around McCain territory, and we would probably see that in a Romney-Clinton matchup, but against any other Democrat, Romney might make it to 50% of the vote and 270 EVs. It would probably come down to one state, but not that many states would change from one party to another. At most, four or five states might switch parties. If the Democrats win, they could peel off NC/GA, and if Romney wins, he would pickup FL/VA/OH/CO, and maybe PA or NH.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 04:04:24 PM by Liberalrocks »

I almost thought this was a joke until I read the story. Sure let him run no protest here, he has proven he is a horrible candidate lost an election that was quite winnable and most people just don't like his personality even if they might agree with him on an issue. As a democrat I would welcome him running a third time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »

I have a hard time seeing the GOP re-nominate Romney after 2012. Sure it was a reasonably close race, but if he couldn't beat Obama then, establishment Republicans are likely to turn to a "fresher" face.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

Why is nobody in the establishment looking at Walker we keep hearing how Jeb or Romney need to run but is there something about Walker that scares them?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »

This may come as a surprise to some, but I would enjoy seeing a Romney comeback and he would have my enthusiastic support. I hope he takes the plunge.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »

Why is nobody in the establishment looking at Walker we keep hearing how Jeb or Romney need to run but is there something about Walker that scares them?

He's VERY divisive for a national candidate after breaking the public employee unions in WI, much more so than Bush or (pre-Bridgegate) Christie. He could still win, but Bush and Romney (despite his own "rich guy" baggage) don't start off with every union family in the country intensely mobilized against them.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to run for an empty seat than against an incumbent?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »

It wouldn't be unprecedented for him to try again (Dewey, Stevenson).

The problem isn't with Mitt so much as with the Republican Party. He was more electable before he started running, and by the time he emerged from the RNC he was carrying all of the baggage that makes people not want to vote for a Republican - bashing illegal immigrants, hitching his wagon to downright psychotic positions on social issues. It's worth remembering that Mitt didn't utter his "47 percent" comment unsolicited. He was responding to a question from a man who practically bated him into it by more or less asking what Mitt would do to make the poors stop being so lazy and poor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies