Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:47:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?  (Read 4113 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »

Because it's unwinnable for them, like the rest of New England.
What about New Hampshire?  That's winnable for them.  Most people there get Boston TV stations, and I'm sure they share much of that audience with Maine as well.  Making ad buys in the rest of Maine (and New Hampshire, for that matter) would probably be pretty cheap.  (Of course, they would have to downplay their social conservatism as well.)  Maine may lean D, but I don't think it's out of reach for the GOP by any means.
I think that either Jeb Bush or Scott Walker could probably carry New Hampshire and maybe part of Maine if Hillary Clinton decides not to run and if the Democrats nominate a weaker candidate such as Martin O' Malley or Joe Biden. There is very little chance that Ted Cruz or Rick Santorum can carry it however, even with a weak Democrat running against them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »

This thread has worn out its worthiness of long, thoughtful responses. However, I may nonetheless grace it with my posts during a hangover or later tonight when I take to the devil's juice to distract me from my job.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »

What about New Hampshire?  That's winnable for them.  Most people there get Boston TV stations, and I'm sure they share much of that audience with Maine as well.  Making ad buys in the rest of Maine (and New Hampshire, for that matter) would probably be pretty cheap.  (Of course, they would have to downplay their social conservatism as well.)  Maine may lean D, but I don't think it's out of reach for the GOP by any means.
I think that either Jeb Bush or Scott Walker could probably carry New Hampshire and maybe part of Maine if Hillary Clinton decides not to run and if the Democrats nominate a weaker candidate such as Martin O' Malley or Joe Biden. There is very little chance that Ted Cruz or Rick Santorum can carry it however, even with a weak Democrat running against them.
If you think Jeb Bush could carry any state that doesn't lean R, let alone Maine, you make yourself look delusional.  His last name alone would defeat him in a landslide.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

I don't actually think Maine gets Boston stations. Anyway, Southern Maine is not GOP-friendly.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »

Maine represents a terrible ROI as well.  Not only is it only 4 electoral votes, but its not even WTA. 

If Maine had 22 electoral votes and gave its winner all of those 22 votes, then the GOP may start talking. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies