Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why don't Republicans make more of a play for Maine?  (Read 4110 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »

Maine may lean D in presidential elections, but it would seem to me like Republicans could carry it in the right circumstances.  Since New Hampshire is already a swing state, it would seem like Republicans wouldn't have to do much to put resources into Maine as well.  Most New Hampshire residents are in the Boston media market, and I would imagine that it extends into Maine as well.  And it would seem to me that organizing in and making ad buys in the rest of Maine would be relatively cheap compared to bigger states.  So my question becomes, why do so few Republican presidential candidates try this?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »

Because it is a waste of time, Maine is quite Independently minded and likes to give Independents a lot of votes, so low turnout on the part of the Republican base there.
illegaloperation

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »

Maine has a strong streak that vote for a third party/independent.

Without a strong third party/independent candidate to split the vote, Maine is solidly Democratic.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

Maine may lean D in presidential elections, but it would seem to me like Republicans could carry it in the right circumstances.  Since New Hampshire is already a swing state, it would seem like Republicans wouldn't have to do much to put resources into Maine as well.  Most New Hampshire residents are in the Boston media market, and I would imagine that it extends into Maine as well.  And it would seem to me that organizing in and making ad buys in the rest of Maine would be relatively cheap compared to bigger states.  So my question becomes, why do so few Republican presidential candidates try this?

The more Republican and conservative portions of Maine are further north in the central part of the state.  The portion of the state closer to Boston is primarly the Portland ans surroudning areas are quite Democratic.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »

Without a strong third party/independent candidate to split the vote, Maine is solidly Democratic.
I'll have to tell that to Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins the next time I see them.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »

I'll have to tell that to Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins the next time I see them.

If the temperament and statesmanship of these ladies were more widely reflected in our party across the country, I suspect this thread would be titled "Why don't Democrats make more of a play for Maine".
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »

If the temperament and statesmanship of these ladies were more widely reflected in our party across the country, I suspect this thread would be titled "Why don't Democrats make more of a play for Maine".
I couldn't agree more, but a moderate Republican is still a Republican.
illegaloperation

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:33 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2014, 12:29:58 AM by illegaloperation »

If the temperament and statesmanship of these ladies were more widely reflected in the party across the country, I would vote Republican.

But at last, these qualities does not reflect the party and I do not vote Republican.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »

If the temperament and statesmanship of these ladies were more widely reflected in the party across the country, I would vote Republican.

But at last, these qualities does not reflect the party and I do not vote Republican.

That's what all Democrats say, but it's BS.  At the end of the day, almost every Republican is too fiscally conservative/pro-business for any real Dem to actually vote for them (regardless of how moderate they are on other stuff).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:02:23 AM »

That's what all Democrats say, but it's BS.  At the end of the day, almost every Republican is too fiscally conservative/pro-business for any real Dem to actually vote for them (regardless of how moderate they are on other stuff).

For hyper-partisan Democrat - yes. He looks only on letter after candidate's name. But a lot of Democrats in Maine are not hyper-partisan. Even less so - Indies, but they are not too conservative either. When Republican party in Maine gave people such candidates in the past as Tupper, Cohen, McKernan, and, yes, Snowe and Collins - they usually won. When they offer LePage and Poliquin (or Scontras, or - lot of others) - another matter. Some reasonable fiscal conservatism is not a taboo in Maine, social conservatism - usually is.
illegaloperation

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:12:13 AM »

I voted for Steve Cooley in 2010.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »

For hyper-partisan Democrat - yes. He looks only on letter after candidate's name. But a lot of Democrats in Maine are not hyper-partisan. Even less so - Indies, but they are not too conservative either. When Republican party in Maine gave people such candidates in the past as Tupper, Cohen, McKernan, and, yes, Snowe and Collins - they usually won. When they offer LePage and Poliquin (or Scontras, or - lot of others) - another matter. Some reasonable fiscal conservatism is not a taboo in Maine, social conservatism - usually is.
LePage won in 2010.  Of course, that was with a strong third party candidate...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »

LePage won in 2010.  Of course, that was with a strong third party candidate...

You said it himself. He would never win without split among center-left.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »

Winning a Senate Election and a Presidential Election are not the same thing.  Not to mention someone in the ideological mold of Collins or Snowe could NEVER win a GOP Presidential Primary.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »

No, I agree on Maine - I was talking about your generic Dem across the country.  I'd consider myself a social liberal, really, and I definitely agree with the OP still.  Maine could be won with the right Republican.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

That's what all Democrats say, but it's BS.  At the end of the day, almost every Republican is too fiscally conservative/pro-business for any real Dem to actually vote for them (regardless of how moderate they are on other stuff).
Most Democrats won't vote for someone they disagree with on most issues, even if they agree with them on some issues? Shocking
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

No, I agree on Maine - I was talking about your generic Dem across the country.  I'd consider myself a social liberal, really, and I definitely agree with the OP still.  Maine could be won with the right Republican.

By right Republican - yes. But - on Senate, House or Governor  level only, because the type of Republican which (conceivably) could win it on Presidential level is absolutely unelectable during country-wide process.. By "right-wing Republican" (especially - on social issues) - no. LePage is the only exception i remember, and he was extremely lucky in 2010 (he would, probably, lose if election would be held a week later, because Democrats began to leave their candidate "en masse" in favor of Cutler)....
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »

It's unlikely that the GOP will nominate a presidential candidate moderate enough to win Maine in the near future.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »

It's unlikely that the GOP will nominate a presidential candidate moderate enough to win Maine in the near future.
What if that candidate campaigns on economic issues and downplays the social issues?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »

What if that candidate campaigns on economic issues and downplays the social issues?

Someone who is socially conservative is not winning Maine period, no matter how little they bring it up in their campaign. 

Not to mention, someone who can win a GOP primary is not going to be moderate enough on economic issues to win Maine.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »

The ever-present talk of the "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" Republican strikes again!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »

Someone who is socially conservative is not winning Maine period, no matter how little they bring it up in their campaign. 

Not to mention, someone who can win a GOP primary is not going to be moderate enough on economic issues to win Maine.

Really?  I thought New England was notorious for its fiscal conservatism and independent streak.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »

Really?  I thought New England was notorious for its fiscal conservatism and independent streak.

I know you like to mock this belief, but socially liberal (not moderate, liberal) and fiscally conservative candidates do just fine in New England.  Despite what revisionists (or reactionaries in the case of Tea Party Republicans) say, people like Snowe, Collins, Rockefeller himself ARE/WERE pro-business fiscal conservatives, at least compared to Democrats.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »

I'd rather have most Democrats over a degenerate piece of waste such as Nelson Rockefeller.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »

I'd rather have most Democrats over a degenerate piece of waste such as Nelson Rockefeller.

I understand that you may not like him, or may disagree with him, but what exactly makes our 41st Vice President, one of our country's most outstanding leaders and philanthropists, a "degenerate piece of waste"?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies