Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely  (Read 4027 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »

Let's start off with the whole province of Alberta. My goal here is to produce detailed, comprehensive and accurate maps unrivaled in their aesthetic beauty. The Central Alberta map is a peculiar creation - 51 insets of towns and cities!

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »

Awesome!

Why is Calgary so much less friendly to the left than Edmonton?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

Can't believe there are that many cities in Alberta. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »

Most them are towns.

Good stuff as always, hc. But may I ask why you're using yellow for the NDP?

Awesome!

Why is Calgary so much less friendly to the left than Edmonton?

Oil. Calgary is a corporate city, while Edmonton is a government city.

lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »

These are lovely, I can't wait to see the rest of Canada. Not to push, do you have Provincial versions? I'd love to see the contrast in voting patterns.

Also, I'm impressed with the amount of polls won by the NDP; the North is most likely Reserves/Aboriginal dominated polls no? Lethbridge is a surprise to me that the NDP performed rather well... like Edmonton level well! But even more so was the NDP winning many rural polls in the Yellowhead (I think) the area along the BC border in Central ALTA, around Jasper/Banff, any ideas why?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 12:35:22 PM by homelycooking »

These are lovely, I can't wait to see the rest of Canada. Not to push, do you have Provincial versions? I'd love to see the contrast in voting patterns.

Also, I'm impressed with the amount of polls won by the NDP; the North is most likely Reserves/Aboriginal dominated polls no? Lethbridge is a surprise to me that the NDP performed rather well... like Edmonton level well! But even more so was the NDP winning many rural polls in the Yellowhead (I think) the area along the BC border in Central ALTA, around Jasper/Banff, any ideas why?

The rural NDP polls are indeed mostly reserves. The NDP did well in Camrose, Jasper, Banff due to support from high-income, cosmopolitan urban transplants living in and around ski resorts, I believe - a phenomenon that is also widespread in the USA. These are areas in which the Green Party did quite well - many polls in the resorts are four-way marginals between the Liberals, Conservatives, Greens and NDP.

NDP strength in Lethbridge is probably explained by the fact that Mark Sandilands, the candidate there, has lived and worked in the city of Lethbridge for almost 50 years and is probably well known there, while the new Conservative MP, Jim Hillyer, is from the small town of Raymond.

I'll try making some provincial election maps, too, but that requires a whole new set of basemaps.

Good stuff as always, hc. But may I ask why you're using yellow for the NDP?

Yes, I know the proper NDP color is orange. In my maps, I prefer to use the primary colors for major parties so that the different colors are distinct as possible, especially in the lightest and darkest shades. My decision to use yellow springs from purely aesthetic considerations.

Alberta is a huge place - a quarter million square miles of, for the most part, countryside and rolling hills. Population centers are distant from one another and occupy a tiny portion of the landscape of Alberta, so in order to show the whole province in as few maps as possible while maintaining an appropriate level of detail in cities and towns, I had to depict those population centers as insets. (Many of the towns represented as insets contain only three or four polling stations, in which only several hundred votes were cast.)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »

I like to use a very yellowish orange on my maps for the NDP. It's not quite a primary colour, but allows for that contrast that can be difficult with orange and red.

Anyways, another reason the NDP did well in Lethbridge was because the Tory candidate was in hiding for the entire campaign, nowhere to be seen.  He still won though, because you know, it's southern Alberta.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »

Excellent thread starting, it looks like.

This will complement The506's maps at election-atlas.ca nicely. His Google maps with clickable results by riding are great at the local detailed level, but I also like being able to see the overall regional patterns across riding boundaries like you have here.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:51:18 AM »

Linus summarises my thoughts precisely. I hate empty quoting, but I've tried a couple of times to elaborate and have been unable to add anything  to his post. He expresses my thoughts perfectly, with the exception of mentioning Krago's excellent map series for the major cities.

I am feeling even more inadequate by merely reiterating my previous comments to your other maps, Homely, reflecting on their artistic beauty.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »

This one was a real pain to design and create.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:14:37 AM »

See if you can spot the electoral boundary in St Johns...

As ways, great work!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »

See if you can spot the electoral boundary in St Johns...

As ways, great work!

Except for St. John's, none of the other electoral boundaries are obvious...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 08:08:44 AM »

Is St. John's naturally more Dipper-friendly, or is it just a matter of candidates?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:39:40 AM »

Is St. John's naturally more Dipper-friendly, or is it just a matter of candidates?

It's mostly candidates, but it is more NDP friendly in general, just just nowhere near the degree that Jack Harris (in particular) won last time.

St. John's is more anti-Liberal than anything. It goes back to 1949 confederation tribal politics.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »

It's mostly candidates, but it is more NDP friendly in general, just just nowhere near the degree that Jack Harris (in particular) won last time.

St. John's is more anti-Liberal than anything. It goes back to 1949 confederation tribal politics.

So it was heavily Catholic? That's how Newfoundland works, right?

Would be interesting to see how it voted when the Conservatives were split.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »

So it was heavily Catholic? That's how Newfoundland works, right?

Would be interesting to see how it voted when the Conservatives were split.

The Reform / Canadian Alliance did not do well in Newfoundland at all. Newfies aren't very conservative people at all.  The kind of right wing populism that the Reform Party presented doesn't really exist in Newfoundland.

And yes, the Avalon peninsula (which includes St. John's) is historically much more Catholic than the rest of the island. Catholics and the business elite opposed confederation, and so supported the Tories while the rural protestants and poor fishermen supported confederation, which was backed by the Liberals and Joey Smallwood.

Meanwhile outside of "the rock", religious voting patterns are the opposite.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Catholics and the business elite opposed confederation, and so supported the Tories while the rural protestants and poor fishermen supported confederation, which was backed by the Liberals and Joey Smallwood.

Yes.

The thing to understand about this is that in the 1940's, prior to Newfoudland joining Confederation, one of the main arguments against Confederation was the supposed ability of an independent Newfoundland to have closer relations with the United States, including a free trade deal, which Canada did not have at the time. So the St. John's business class was generally anti-Confederate because it hoped to trade with the much larger American market, but it became a sectarian issue among the working classes about the relative favorability of imperial Canada and the republican United States. This led to a kind of odd pattern in which urban Catholics were on the same side as Protestant business elites who joined the Conservative party after Confederation.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

The Reform / Canadian Alliance did not do well in Newfoundland at all. Newfies aren't very conservative people at all.  The kind of right wing populism that the Reform Party presented doesn't really exist in Newfoundland.

I meant the PCs, and it appears they won St. John's in '97. Weird!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »

I meant the PCs, and it appears they won St. John's in '97. Weird!

Not really, as I said- there wasn't really a split on the right in Newfoundland as the Reform Party didn't appeal to very many people.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2016, 07:11:26 PM by homelycooking »

Nine months later...

The first two maps show results for municipalities circa 1996. Some of that detail is no longer possible to depict precisely as of the 2015 results.

Earl will be pleased that I got the parties' colors right.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »

Wow très cool. Now we just have to get you to spell colour correct Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »

You wouldn't say "fil" for thread (most French forums I've seen use topic). But whatever you want to call it, it's great. Cheesy
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »

Berthier-Maskinongé's Wink vote for our girl RUTH ELLEN on the 2015 map is truly amazing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies