Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homely's Canadian maps thread / Fil cartographique canadienne d'Homely  (Read 4079 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »

Let's start off with the whole province of Alberta. My goal here is to produce detailed, comprehensive and accurate maps unrivaled in their aesthetic beauty. The Central Alberta map is a peculiar creation - 51 insets of towns and cities!

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 12:35:22 PM by homelycooking »

These are lovely, I can't wait to see the rest of Canada. Not to push, do you have Provincial versions? I'd love to see the contrast in voting patterns.

Also, I'm impressed with the amount of polls won by the NDP; the North is most likely Reserves/Aboriginal dominated polls no? Lethbridge is a surprise to me that the NDP performed rather well... like Edmonton level well! But even more so was the NDP winning many rural polls in the Yellowhead (I think) the area along the BC border in Central ALTA, around Jasper/Banff, any ideas why?

The rural NDP polls are indeed mostly reserves. The NDP did well in Camrose, Jasper, Banff due to support from high-income, cosmopolitan urban transplants living in and around ski resorts, I believe - a phenomenon that is also widespread in the USA. These are areas in which the Green Party did quite well - many polls in the resorts are four-way marginals between the Liberals, Conservatives, Greens and NDP.

NDP strength in Lethbridge is probably explained by the fact that Mark Sandilands, the candidate there, has lived and worked in the city of Lethbridge for almost 50 years and is probably well known there, while the new Conservative MP, Jim Hillyer, is from the small town of Raymond.

I'll try making some provincial election maps, too, but that requires a whole new set of basemaps.

Good stuff as always, hc. But may I ask why you're using yellow for the NDP?

Yes, I know the proper NDP color is orange. In my maps, I prefer to use the primary colors for major parties so that the different colors are distinct as possible, especially in the lightest and darkest shades. My decision to use yellow springs from purely aesthetic considerations.

Can't believe there are that many cities in Alberta. Tongue

Alberta is a huge place - a quarter million square miles of, for the most part, countryside and rolling hills. Population centers are distant from one another and occupy a tiny portion of the landscape of Alberta, so in order to show the whole province in as few maps as possible while maintaining an appropriate level of detail in cities and towns, I had to depict those population centers as insets. (Many of the towns represented as insets contain only three or four polling stations, in which only several hundred votes were cast.)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »

This one was a real pain to design and create.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2016, 07:11:26 PM by homelycooking »

Nine months later...

The first two maps show results for municipalities circa 1996. Some of that detail is no longer possible to depict precisely as of the 2015 results.

Earl will be pleased that I got the parties' colors right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies