Do you support Private or for-profit Prisons? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:24:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support Private or for-profit Prisons? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Do you support Private or for-profit Prisons?  (Read 4536 times)
Meursault
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

As I reject the concepts of 'punishment' and 'rehabilitation' as being either achieved in the present punitive regime or as being meaningful psychological concepts (both are loaded terms designed to justify existing practices), this is a false dichotomy. As for what should be done, why not exile, stripped of any pretense of redemptive purpose? The State already justifies itself through the penal discourse: it can surely justify an exilic discourse instead. But this requires a reversal of the Christian belief that purity of soul can be obtained through monastic confinement.
Meursault
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »

Again: why not exile as a viable alternative to penalization? Do we genuinely believe that concentration into a single rigid social structure will 'purify evil'? Then we have advanced no further than medieval mendicants. Many of those currently incarcerated have natures predicated much more strongly towards nomadism anyway. So give them a free space in which to wander and borders beyond which they shall not pass.
Meursault
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »

Not space - not yet- but to the billions of acres of currently-fallow land held by governments the world over.
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »

Absolutely I would. And I'd hold that anyone willing to destroy the environment in the name of energy production has no ground to object to its destruction in the name of social amelioration. Better the Alaskan wilderness be homesteaded and improved by those who would otherwise waste away in captivity than be exploited by Exxon.
Meursault
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »

In this thread? No. But it's an unspoken assumption in Ernest's counterargument to exile in particular, as a supporter of Keystone - that development of public land for energy production is fine, but using it to alleviate the conditions in the prisons is not.
Meursault
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »

Given the choice between a two-room cabin on the taiga with a communal well and a chance to see the mountains and a cell on the block, I suspect most prisoners wouldn't need much coaxing to finish out their sentences in exile. A handful of guard towers with a small staff should suffice in preventing violence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies