1892 Conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:35:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1892 Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Union Convention: Former Vice President Henry Adams of Massachusetts

Union Convention: Senator Eugene Hale of Maine

Union Convention: Representative Calvin Brice of Ohio

Union Convention: Governor Hazen Pingree of Michigan

People's Alliance Convention: Vice President Joseph Smith of Illinois

People's Alliance Convention: Senator William Allen of Nebraska

People's Alliance Convention: Alderman Henry George of New York

People's Alliance Convention: President Zebulon Vance of North Carolina

Whig Convention: President Zebulon Vance of North Carolina

Whig Convention: Fmr. Representative James Weaver of Iowa

Whig Convention: Representative Roger Mills of Texas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: 1892 Conventions  (Read 2296 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »

The election of 1888 and the collapse of the Union Party would be one of the most interesting ones in American history. President Grover Cleveland had already had his work cut out with him in trying to maintain his party's continued dominance of the White House. However, what would make matters worse is the ascendancy of General George Custer, and the nomination of the surprisingly popular Zebulon Vance. There were some who still expected Union hegemony to continue, but the final blow would be dealt on September 28th, 1888, when silver saw a massive devaluation due to Blaine-Carlisle. Known as the "Gilded Recession," it saw a strong deflation of the dollar and caused a deep economic panic.

Despite this, Grover Cleveland was able to maintain a rump of die-hard Unionists. Many expected that General George Custer would win in a walk, but in a stunning turn of events, a strong surge of support for Governor Zebulon Vance. Some would attribute this to the ticket's ardent support of a silver currency, in hopes of alleviating the current economic panic and inflating the dollar. The nation had been cleaved in three - with support for Cleveland in the North, Vance in the South, and George Custer in the new frontier.

The election went to Congress, as no candidate had an electoral majority. Though Joseph Smith was elected handily in the Senate, the House voted strictly along partisan lines, resulting in an impasse. Grover Cleveland, whose party was badly damaged by the concurring House elections, was eliminated. Zebulon Vance prevailed in the final round - some chalk this up to Unionists finding him more amenable, while others think it was a ploy to bring about divided government.

Knowing how tenuous his victory was, Zebulon Vance did not have an ambitious Presidency, looking toward the downfalls of Lincoln and Cleveland as being due to hubris. One initiative that the Whigs passed was the admission of the Dakota territory as the next state. In addition, the Gilded Recession Congress passed a swift repeal of Blaine-Carlisle, restoring currency to the previous bi-metallic standard. However, this led to a silver shortage, since the railroad trusts (in their limited capacity) had bought up a good deal of cheap silver in response to the news. All things considered, the repeal ameliorated the economic down-turn, but America was still considered to be in a slump. Lastly, in a controversial move, Vance worked with Unionists to sign a repeal of the current homesteading laws, and drafted a new one directed at the new state of Dakota, claiming that "America has spread itself and its settlers too thin."

President Zebulon Vance is going against the political wisdom and is trying for a second term. His motto at the convention is "Silver, stability, and sweet recovery." However, he is met with stiff opposition. Challenging him at the convention is James Weaver, who was rebuffed in 1884 in favor of the People's Alliance ticket. Weaver has lambasted Vance for a lack of bold action, moderation on the currency issue, and the anemic recovery. Weaver is campaigning to nationalize the railroads outright, confiscate their silver stores, and decrease the silver-to-gold ratio in the reserves. Vance is also being challenged by the young Representative Roger Mills. Mills is a Gold Whig, something of a novelty in his party, and also supports free-trade and the abolition of most tariffs.

The Union nomination seems like a dubious prize. Henry Adams, the former Vice President, is being put forth as a potential candidate. Henry Adams has become disillusioned with politics, but supports tariff reduction, a bimetallic standard (at the current ratio) and "trust busting." Senator Eugene Hale is also being put forth as a candidate - he is a strict critic of Dakota Statehood and opposed his party's compromise on the homesteading issue - Hale instead supports abolition of homesteading outright. In addition, Hale also supports increased spending on a peacetime navy. There is also the eccentric Calvin Brice - one of the few Unionists on the Ohio slate whom was not eradicated. Brice, a wealthy man who owns several railroad lines, vehemently opposes further regulation. He also supports a reduction in tariffs, and wants to explore a "Trade Pact" with China. Lastly, there is Michigan Governor Hazen Pingree - elected despite the People's Alliance carrying the state. Pingree champions what he calls a "Unionism for the 20th Century" - he supports strong regulation of railroad and agricultural trusts, the gold standard, and a federal ban on child labor. In addition, Pingree supports a 1% federal land tax.

Emboldened by their merger with the Radicals, politicians have come out of the wood-works to seek the People's Alliance nomination. Foremost is Joseph Smith, who ran on the failed Custer/Smith ticket in 1888. Joseph Smith continues to support education reform, has moved to support a position of popular sovereignty on the polygamy issue, and speaks vaguely of "conservationism." All though he has had a good relationship with President Vance, he is critical of the current state of affairs.

He is not without competition, however. Willam Allen, a young Senator from Nebraska, is challenging him, citing concerns that Smith is too closely associated with the Vance administration to bring about real change. Allen supports a national eight-hour work day, railroad nationalization, and a transition to fiat currency outright. There is also Henry George, a young New York City Alderman. Henry George is seen as a peculiar activist, but also supports fiat currency, in addition to an abolition of tariffs outright, a national land tax, and conservationism in states such as Babel and Dakota. Lastly, there is a movement to cede the People's Alliance nomination to President Vance, out of fear that a split could lead to a Union victoy. "Grover, Grover, let's not do this over!" is their cry.

Three days.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2014, 08:06:31 AM by Malcolm X »

Vance/Smith, I'd urge our brothers in the People's alliance to consider the merger! Smiley

Edit: However, if Vice-President Smith decides to put his personal ambition ahead of the nation's interests by running against Vance, then make this Vance/New Jersey Governor Leon Abbett (since it'd make no sense to keep Smith on the ticket if he's running against Vance in the general election).
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »

Adams/Brice
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »

Vance/Smith on the People's Alliance ticket. This will probably be my last election game, so I'd like to end it on a high note.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »

Vance/Smith on the People's Alliance ticket. This will probably be my last election game, so I'd like to end it on a high note.

RIP Zioneer Sad
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »

Allen.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

Brice/Adams or Adams/Brice. Tariff reduction is a must.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

RIP Zioneer Sad

Well, only for two years, but this election game will long be gone by the time I get back from my mission. If dallas could  private message the results of the election threads to my account, that'd be okay though.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »

Allen and 8 hours!
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

A second term for Zeb of course.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »

Zeb/Smith
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 10:18:22 PM by Speaker Deus »

I vote Mills. With his willful determination and Texas-sized temper, he will have no trouble destroying the twin follies of protectionism and bimetallism.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »

Blah blah blah Vance/Smith. Note that Vance is due for a nasty stroke soon, so unless we get the fourth President Adams and seventh Adams term the PA and Whigs are picking two Presidents. I'm sure "President Joseph Smith" will ring sweetly in Mr. Zioneer's ears as we send him off for basically forever.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »

RIP Zioneer Sad

Well, only for two years, but this election game will long be gone by the time I get back from my mission. If dallas could  private message the results of the election threads to my account, that'd be okay though.

I'm bummed to see you go, but good luck on your mission.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »

Pingree I guess. Not really enthusiastic about anyone.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »

Brice/Mills unity ticket!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »

I'm not sure why he isn't getting more support, given that he's basically TR.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Is Pingree related to Chellie Pingree? And I probably would've voted for someone liked Pingree, I just wanted a non-Unionist in power.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »

I prefer him as a candidate, but I feel like he'll, or TR, will be better suited for election in 1896 against a unified People's Alliance and Whig party.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:52 PM »

I prefer him as a candidate, but I feel like he'll, or TR, will be better suited for election in 1896 against a unified People's Alliance and Whig party.

Has Dallas even said what party TR is? He's a New Yorker, so that makes me think Unionist, but I'm not entirely sure...
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

Has Dallas even said what party TR is? He's a New Yorker, so that makes me think Unionist, but I'm not entirely sure...
I'm not really sure as well. Maybe, after they unify, the Bull-Moose Party will emerge.

Cue the awesomeness.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »

Zeb Bush
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »

Where would Theodore Roosevelt be at this point in time? In real life, he'd held a seat for a few years in the NY State Assembly, had become a widower, had lost an election for mayor, and had gotten re-married before Harrison made him a Civil Service Commissioner in 1889. With the Union party currently in the hands of its "reform" faction, might he have a good relationship with fellow New Yorker Grover Cleveland? Or is he still out West?

As well, it'd be interesting to see how he might interact with a President Custer.

Roosevelt is a mildly-decorated veteran of the Dakota War and just got elected to the New York Assembly. He's fond of Cleveland's stance on patronage, but is more partial to Cassius Clay's legacy (despite how checkered it may be.) Despite this he tends to eschew the current Union faction's party on tariffs and would like to see more bold action regarding trusts.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »

We want Bull-Moose!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »

Theoretically, we could have a Whig-PA merger soon and then run TR on their ticket sometime down the line for maximum Roosevelt potential. Then again, we probably shouldn't and wouldn't.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies