What were some misconceptions you had about the world when you were a child?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:41:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What were some misconceptions you had about the world when you were a child?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What were some misconceptions you had about the world when you were a child?  (Read 4351 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »

Which makes me wonder why things are said to be as American as apple pie rather than as cherry pie.

Clearly, you have never talked to this guy:

Never saw any of those films, but I was under the impression they were in favor of cream pie.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »

My favorite books were the Goosebumps series, so I was a huge fan of Ben Stein.  I guess I thought that "R.L. Stine" was just his mysterious pen name.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »

I thought the sun went down right when you went to sleep, and I thought that you only went to sleep for a few minutes before the next day came. Like many others on this thread, I also thought that back in the old days everything was gray. I thought that farm animals drank out of funny-looking bathtubs; I had no idea that they were called troughs. Up until I was about eight or nine, I thought that Sunday School taught you every single thing there was to know about God. Then I picked up a Bible and read some of it myself, and realized that there was so much the Sunday School teacher hadn't taught.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »

After watching Conquest of the Planet of the Apes on TV, I was convinced the gorillas from the Pittsburgh Zoo were going to escape and find my house in the middle of suburbia 15+ miles away, climb in to my bedroom window and attack me.

Does that count?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »

I was reminded this by watching a CPG Grey video.

Its typical for Americans to say the word "Mississippi" between digits to approximate counting by seconds.  Since I grew up in Mississippi, I just always assumed that only people who lived in Mississippi said "Mississippi" while counting seconds and that people in other states used whichever state they were in order to do the same (i.e., "One Alabama, two Alabama; One Massachusetts, two Massachusetts). 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »

Its typical for Americans to say the word "Mississippi" between digits to approximate counting by seconds.  Since I grew up in Mississippi, I just always assumed that only people who lived in Mississippi said "Mississippi" while counting seconds and that people in other states used whichever state they were in order to do the same (i.e., "One Alabama, two Alabama; One Massachusetts, two Massachusetts). 

That might be a fun system - "One Chad, two Chad, three Chad", etc.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »

I used to wonder why my parents would use checks for small purchases because I thought they had a limited number of checks rather than a limited amount of money to write them for.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »

Mississippians would get really good times at the Olympics...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »

Mississippians would get really good times at the Olympics...

How far down would the counting go? Only subnational?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »

That system could leave one hanging.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »

Our family was somehow "worse" than others because we didn't go to church on Sunday. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »

Our family was somehow "worse" than others because we didn't go to church on Sunday. 

That's not a misconception.  Churchgoing families are more involved in their communities generally. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »

That's not a misconception.  Churchgoing families are more involved in their communities generally. 

Being "involved" in my hometown invaraibly meant you were awful.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »

That's how it's done here.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »

Yeah, when I was young I also thought the "one Mississippi, two Mississippi" thing was something only we did.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

I thought I was conceived immaculately.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »

Only if you consider things like being involved in civic organizations, running for public office, or donating money to charity to be "awful". 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 06:20:10 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I just thought of another two: "bait" was a type of fish (I'm sure you can understand that one), and "hillbilly" was pronounced "hilla-billy."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »

Only if you consider things like being involved in civic organizations, running for public office, or donating money to charity to be "awful". 

But clearly the Rotary Club is evil Roll Eyes
GaussLaw
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »

But clearly the Rotary Club is evil Roll Eyes

Clearly, it symbolizes the patriarchal, white-supremacist classist notions upon which the evil empire of America was founded. 

/idiot
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »

Well to be fair to HockeyDude, his hometown is in New Jersey, where all those things probably involve some sort of Mafia-like corruption.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »

I thought it was alright to color in black-and-white pictures from library books with crayons.  My dad was pretty quick to correct that misconception--there was a lot of yelling involved...  Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »

I thought I was conceived immaculately.
That's both hilarious and sad.  I literally went "haha....ohhhhh Sad"

The only one I can remember is...one time I asked my mom where California was when we were going somewhere and she pointed west and said something like "a long way that way" as we were passing a street.  I thought California was at the end of the street.  This was in Illinois.

(and for Franzl only, it was Edwards St....and not even the important part of Edwards St by Washington Ave, it was the tiny chunk off of S.Rodgers)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:05 PM »

When I was very, very young, I knew the world was round, but I thought we were on the inside of it instead of the outside.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »

I was convinced my mom was best friends with Rosie O'Donnell for a long time. No idea why.

I was actually convinced that my parents knew Paul Simon (the singer). I have no idea why I thought this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies