IDS 2: Pentagram Privitization Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 2: Pentagram Privitization Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IDS 2: Pentagram Privitization Act (Passed)  (Read 990 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »
« edited: May 16, 2014, 10:05:15 PM by Speaker Dereich »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Maxwell

You'd better have a good reason for wanting to get rid of our precious pentagram.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »

This bill is a compromise of sorts: some want to eliminate the Pentagram all together. Instead, I want the pentagram to stay, but not in the holding of the IDS government, but instead, to the highest bidder. This is because I don't think our government should be owning tourist attractions.

Now, I know this may cause a stir among IDS traditionalists, but I think its the right way to go.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

I worry about the impact this will have on our revenue streams - but apart from that, I have no complaints about tradition. I don't view the Pentagram as being anything as sacred as the titles or anything.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

I worry about the impact this will have on our revenue streams - but apart from that, I have no complaints about tradition. I don't view the Pentagram as being anything as sacred as the titles or anything.

I'll look at the budget, but how much revenue are we really getting out of this thing?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »

I'll look at the budget, but how much revenue are we really getting out of this thing?

According to the last budget, that would be $5,700,000 a year.

What makes you so sure that a private owner will be able to maintain the Pentagram in a way which will allow the public to have continued access to this beloved regional treasure?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »

According to the last budget, that would be $5,700,000 a year.

What makes you so sure that a private owner will be able to maintain the Pentagram in a way which will allow the public to have continued access to this beloved regional treasure?

It will be going to the highest bidder, now I'm not sure about you, but I have confidence in whoever is bidding very high on this public monument. From our tax structure, the IDS is a region that has confidence in its private citizenry, and so I don't see how this is different from any other sort of business, since the IDS, instead of just having this monument, is running a sort of business around it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

If the Pentagram has a neutral or positive effect to our budget deficit and debt, I don't see why we should remove it from public ownership.  As long as people continue to pay admission fees, why sell it?  At the very least, I'd like to see an estimate for how much revenue we would lose or gain from this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

What's the reasoning of keeping this under IDS supervision? The revenue source is less 5% of our current surplus. Balancing our budgets is important, but removing it from our jurisdiction hardly does damage to our long term prospects, and I'm not sure it's something we should continue to keep.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

WTF is the Pentagram?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »

A thing we have that offends your sense of urban design. And probably your sense of decency.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »

The Pentagram was an IDS monument that was created a while back and its, to this day, managed by the IDS Government as a tourist attraction.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »

The Pentagram is a symbol of the willful spirit and independent thought of the best region in Atlasia. We're really into the symbols of our independence.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »

Does anyone have any amendment to this legislation?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »

It seems kinda hard to amend; either you think the state should have a hand in running the Pentagram or you don't; I don't see much room for compromise here. Maybe some kind of public-private partnership? How would that work?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »

Anything else? One thing I'd be curious about is how much we'd make from privatizing this. Even if we had a GM doing cost and revenue estimates, our Pentagram is such a unique occurrence I don't know how they would estimate it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2014, 10:51:32 AM by Emperor Scott »

I'm really not sure how I will act on this bill if it's passed.  I'd still like to see some numbers on whether this will be either a net gain or net loss for our revenue.  Even if it isn't a huge loss or gain, every dollar counts.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »

Well, I would say we lose money in the short term (possibly in the long term as well), but in the hands of a company that will be constantly expanding the Pentagram as a tourist attraction, increasing revenues may eventually make this revenue neutral. My proposal is more out of the idea that this is the sort of thing that should be handled on the market level. I'm going through finals right now, but I can perhaps come up with some numbers by Thursday.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »

This isn't forgotten, we should have a valuation of the building and potential budgetary implications soon.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »

Revenues Earned thus far - $17.1 Million
Expenses - $200 Million

Now, according to a very reputable source, we could probably sell the monument for between $100-$125 Million, as business people looking at how much it is making compared to its cost is troubling. Count in with that property taxes [$250,000], and other taxation  (numbers which I currently don't have), and we have ourselves  closer than we were before to making revenue off of the Pentagram.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 12:06:27 AM »

In that case, I don't really have a problem with this proposal.  Any other thoughts?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 07:58:23 AM »

Sorry for the intrusion but, what is Pentagram?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2014, 08:10:52 AM by Amb. AG GM Pc. Cllr. Simfan34 OSA(G) OSA(S) (a big deal) »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Pentagram_Creation_Act

As your GM I'm obliged to say this building sounds pretty useless. I don't know why anyone would buy it, at least at that price and with the intent of making money. I mean one would have thought that all you small government folks would have chosen to spend your money more... sensibly.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Pentagram_Creation_Act

As your GM I'm obliged to say this building sounds pretty useless. I don't know why anyone would buy it, at least at that price and with the intent of making money. I mean one would have thought that all you small government folks would have chosen to spend your money more... sensibly.

Don't blame me, I wasn't around for this to happen!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

I mean one would have thought that all you small government folks would have chosen to spend your money more... sensibly.

One must remember that the driving ideology of the South is general Southern-ism and Imperialism before any form of small government-ism.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:54 AM »

Seeing no further debate, I bring this bill forward to a vote. Legislators have 48 hours to vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Final Text:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies