Opinion of Pope Adrian IV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:48:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Pope Adrian IV
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Adrian_IV
Freedom Pope

Horrible Pope

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope Adrian IV  (Read 536 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »

Arguably one of the worst Popes, next to whoever the hell did the Crusades.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

Voted horrible Pope but I don't really consider him to be among the worst.

Granted, many of them were quite bad.  So I can see where you would get that conclusion.  I was basing my response more out of the idea of his that resistance to the church hierarchy was fundamentally immoral.  The results of his mentality can be felt to this very day and many millions of people have in a way been affected by the beliefs he held hundreds of years ago.  I guess it was around before him, and that there were many other horrible Popes.

I guess I need to do more research on the matter.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »

That'd be Urban II for you. Voted HP, though he's not one of the worst - Paul II's pretty bad, for example.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:50 AM »

That'd be Urban II for you. Voted HP, though he's not one of the worst - Paul II's pretty bad, for example.

Something I just noticed, Adrian was Pope for a little bit less than five years and Paul II was Pope for seven years.  That is about the length between a one term and a two term president.

And just think, they did that much damage in that short of a time.  If only Presidents were that effective.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:01:04 AM »

Something I just noticed, Adrian was Pope for a little bit less than five years and Paul II was Pope for seven years.  That is about the length between a one term and a two term president.

And just think, they did that much damage in that short of a time.  If only Presidents were that effective.

Gough Whitlam was Australian PM for three years and look at him.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »

Only Englishman to be to be pope? Most Medieval and high Renaissance popes were truly awful people. I don't know a whole lot about him, actually, although I have heard of him, surely.

The worst was Innocent VIII - he helped start the witch hysteria and gave full support to starting the Inquisition. His tenure also saw the publication of a torture manual called The Hammer Against Evil Doers. I don't think that there is a HP (Horrible Pope) on his level.

I've read on numerous occasions, though, that the Catholic Church was far more concerned about heresy than witchcraft; witch hysteria seems to have been a hallmark of the Protestants. That's only a general observation.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »

HP (Hibernophile)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

Good because he was English.  God Save the King!
Small L
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

Voted horrible Pope but I don't really consider him to be among the worst.

Granted, many of them were quite bad.  So I can see where you would get that conclusion.  I was basing my response more out of the idea of his that resistance to the church hierarchy was fundamentally immoral.  The results of his mentality can be felt to this very day and many millions of people have in a way been affected by the beliefs he held hundreds of years ago.  I guess it was around before him, and that there were many other horrible Popes.

I guess I need to do more research on the matter.
You're right in that he didn't invent that idea. For example, Ignatius of Antioch held a view along those lines (chapters 8-9 of this page). I would argue that the idea of fidelity to the Church hierarchy is an integral part of Catholicism (the internal debate is about how far this obedience should be taken). I don't really consider Adrian IV unique in that respect.

My biggest problem with him is that he was awful at playing politics. He shouldn't have even bothered.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies