If Hillary beat Obama in 2008, then won twice...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:52:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Hillary beat Obama in 2008, then won twice...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary beat Obama in 2008, then won twice...  (Read 1098 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »

Would Obama be the current beloved Democratic figure that currently polls at 60-70% support?

I'm going to say yes. Despite the interpretation of many pundits about how Hillary, Obama, and their voters all despised each other and split a giant chasm into the Democratic Party that would never heal, the vast majority of Democrats liked both candidates in 2008. In fact, Obama could even potentially be in a better position than Hillary is now, since age or health wouldn't be an issue for him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »

I don't think that's the case, especially since Obama won a very healthy victory in 08 (and a relatively healthy one in 12). That being said, Obama might run for Governor of Illinois, and dealing with the problems Illinois currently faces could cause his numbers to drop.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

I don't think that's the case, especially since Obama won a very healthy victory in 08 (and a relatively healthy one in 12). That being said, Obama might run for Governor of Illinois, and dealing with the problems Illinois currently faces could cause his numbers to drop.
^^
It all depends on whether he runs for Senate again or for Governor.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »

It's fairly well known that he disliked the Senate. I could see him, if not being nominated to SCOTUS or AG, going for Governor in 2010.

However there is no reason to assume his track record would be as bad as Quinn's. Therefore, the stipulation that "dealing with the problems Illinois currently faces could cause his numbers to drop" comes under a false premise.

Say Clinton won in 08 and 12. I could see Obama being the frontrunner in polls. But who is Clinton's VP? And does that VP want to run for President?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

It's fairly well known that he disliked the Senate. I could see him, if not being nominated to SCOTUS or AG, going for Governor in 2010.

However there is no reason to assume his track record would be as bad as Quinn's. Therefore, the stipulation that "dealing with the problems Illinois currently faces could cause his numbers to drop" comes under a false premise.

Say Clinton won in 08 and 12. I could see Obama being the frontrunner in polls. But who is Clinton's VP? And does that VP want to run for President?

I'm not saying it'd be as bad as Quinn, but I'm saying his 70% ratings definitely would not hold. Probably drop to low 50s upper 40s.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »

Wasn't the Conventional Wisdom that Clinton was going to pick Bayh or Warner for VP?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies