SENATE BILL: Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:27:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Efficient Referenda Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2202 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2014, 05:34:04 PM by Cincinnatus »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: bore
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »

I definitely support the use of the DoFE when holding regional votes, but I can't support repealing the 17th in its entirety. Its presence presents too many opportunities for fun. Cheesy I remember when Marokai fought for the passage of this bill, and at the time I was against it, but hindsight is 20/20.

In my opinion, something to the effect of allowing the DoFE to administer the first vote by region on any amendment - with the regional government dealing with subsequent attempts at passage - would be more desirable. I suppose I'm leading the charge for regional rights on this, then? Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:21 AM »

Cincy asked me to introduce this, so if he wants to elaborate he can, but I fully agree with the amendment. Simply put, our current system is useless. Not only is it sometimes a problem even holding the votes, there is no real method of ascertaining which amendments have been ratified. Since the wiki has last been edited, 5 amendments have been ratified but no one would know, and no one is keeping track. If the SOFE was administering them, we would know for certain whether an amendment had been ratified.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:07:44 AM »

The lack of knowing which amendments have passed is once again, the effect of a lack of organized media presence. In the old days they were be tracked by such operations, now we are lucky to just get a single tracker for the At-Large elections every four months.

I definitely support the use of the DoFE when holding regional votes, but I can't support repealing the 17th in its entirety. Its presence presents too many opportunities for fun. Cheesy I remember when Marokai fought for the passage of this bill, and at the time I was against it, but hindsight is 20/20.

In my opinion, something to the effect of allowing the DoFE to administer the first vote by region on any amendment - with the regional government dealing with subsequent attempts at passage - would be more desirable. I suppose I'm leading the charge for regional rights on this, then? Tongue

It is one thing to call tongue in cheek, attempt to rob peter to pay paul on the issue an advocancy for regional rights like you did a campaign a few weeks back. Wink However, I don't even see that opportunity here either. Tongue

I am reluctant to see the 17th amendment gone myself. I think if a Region wants to be able to delegate ito a council like the Pacific did, they should be able to. They shouldn't do it obviously, but there is no reason to deny a region the right to be stupid as long as it isn't in some way to deny the people their ability to change it back later as certain folks tried to do at one point in a certain region. The answer of course is for the regional constitution to enshrine a solid process behind the wall of a threshold that is too high to be able to be hijacked by any such cabal.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

What does this mean? Something like the DoFE holding the first vote on an amendment, but if that fails, and the senate passes it again, allowing the regions to administer that? Or the DOFE opens one booth, but the governor certifies each result?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »

What does this mean? Something like the DoFE holding the first vote on an amendment, but if that fails, and the senate passes it again, allowing the regions to administer that? Or the DOFE opens one booth, but the governor certifies each result?

THe DoFE holds the first vote and Region the subsequent re-attempts if the first one were to fail.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »

THe DoFE holds the first vote and Region the subsequent re-attempts if the first one were to fail.

A failure of the amendment or a failure of the administration of the vote? If it's the former, isn't that entirely arbitrary, like allowing the regions to hold all the votes on amendments passed on dates which are also prime numbers, but not on any others?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »

Uh what?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »

What would it mean for the first vote to fail?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »

Under Adam's suggestion the Regions can then hold a vote on it at later date under their own administration to try again.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »

Right, but would a first vote failing mean that it was rejected by the regions but then passed again by the senate?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »

Where is there an implication that Senate would need to pass it again?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

So, if a particular region, say, the IDS were to originally vote against an amendment, Adam's saying, if the governor wanted to, he could open that vote again and see if there was a different vote?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

Yes, I think so.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »

Glad we got there eventually Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »

Its not the destination, its the journey. Tongue

If more people took that approach, this place would be whole lot less boring.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »

I'm inclined to vote against this. I typically don't like laws that centralize the Government and diminish the role of the Regions. I really don't understand why some regional executives are too inactive to open up a voting booth.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »

I'm inclined to vote against this. I typically don't like laws that centralize the Government and diminish the role of the Regions. I really don't understand why some regional executives are too inactive to open up a voting booth.

Not understanding it means you would choose to enable it?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Well, I'd say this is a pretty good idea. I would trust the DoFE as an effective way to handle the booths, and it doesn't make a lot of difference for "regional rights", only from a merely symbolic point of view. Besides, and speaking from my experience as a Governor who always opened the booths late (and closed them days after when supposed to), it's better to leave this to something or someone responsible enough to do it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 11:31:28 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2014, 11:33:03 PM by Sen. Griffin (LAB-NB) »

Has anyone read the Seventeenth Amendment? Tongue

In regards to bore's line of questions: yes, the Seventeenth Amendment currently allows for any amendment that has passed the Senate once to be brought up for a vote as many times as needed by a regional body once it has passed the Senate. Each regional body can choose to set the method of ratification of an amendment as a public vote of citizens of the region, or as a majority of the region's legislature. Yankee also more or less answered how I'd deal with the public vote: I would like the DoFE to administer the voting booth on the first vote of any amendment for all of the regions, and subsequent attempts would be handled by the regions.

Repealing the Seventeenth as-is would also present a huge, new problem that we haven't had to consider for over a year: if an amendment fails to pass in four regions on the first go, then the entire process would have to head back to the Senate in order to be voted on again. That's ridiculous. I also have wondered from time to time what percentage of the game actually is aware that when a proposed amendment fails to garner support in four out of five regions on the first vote, that it can be voted on again and again by that region.

Even if a clause were added to ensure that amendments don't have to work their way back through the Senate each time they are proposed to the voters, I also like the idea of each region being able to change the method of ratification. It adds a bit of spice to the game and allows for more fun - again, assuming people are actually aware of it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »

I read it last year several times, when I twice tried to repeal or amend the damn thing. Tongue

Of course that was while ago, perhaps posting it will help the others.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »

I think the hope behind Maroduke+Nix+myself and all five other ayes was that it would allow regions to combine their ballots with Regional legislative elections for instance to increase turnout for each other of the elections.

Also they wanted to decentralize the Regional Senate elections as well to further achieve the same objective, but that fizzeled out of impracticallity and lack of sufficient support.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »

One could argue that removal of responsbility, will also enable/encourage inactivity on the part of Regional executives.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »

One could argue that removal of responsbility, will also enable/encourage inactivity on the part of Regional executives.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. I think the solution should be for Regions to elect more active executives, not to eliminate this responsibility from their jobs.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

How is eliminating this responsibility encouraging inactivity?  Jesus guys, this is about making the process efficient and not delegated out to five different actors, which obviously, increases chances for human error/failure to open the damn booth. 

Half the Governors haven't even certified the most recent amendment, which, in and of itself isn't a huge deal, just telling.  By some miracle during that last amendment ALL the Governor's opened a booth within a day, largely because I sent a PM threatening to have Superique drone their homes.  This is not about preserving or eliminating regional rights.  This is about making the procedure for federal amendments, federally administered. 

I also understand the hesitation regarding the elimination of the prescribed amendment.  I get it, really.  If we want to discuss that as the issue, fine.  Let's just acknowledge that the process by which we run doesn't work.  Letting the SOFE administer this process provides direct responsibility and accountability.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies