Poor Little White Boy Fights The Power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poor Little White Boy Fights The Power
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Poor Little White Boy Fights The Power  (Read 5735 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »

Copy-cat thread with dishonest title is superfluous and dishonest.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »

I didn't realise this was here, but I stand by what I said.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

Frankly both titles engage in excessive hyperbole.  That said, since the two threads are discussing the same thing, topics have been merged.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »

Frankly both titles engage in excessive hyperbole.  That said, since the two threads are discussing the same thing, topics have been merged.

Can we at least get a compromise title, preferably a creative one?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »

"Poor Little White Boy Fights The Power"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »

Are we supposed to find those tweets offensive? The first one is weird, the second one's dumb, and the third one's true, but none of them are Todd Akin or anything.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »

He is correct. It should not be acceptable for anyone to say n. The second, whatever, but gangster culture should not be glorified in any circumstance, it is what is holding black people back- at least far more than "white racism". The third is also correct, if the Israelis became inclined to commit ethnic cleansing they really wouldn't have any problem doing so.

Left-wing SJW grasping is what it is.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »

Very pleased to see the title change.

This guy has internalized a whole lot of bullsh**t, unfortunately. Hopefully he grows up soon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »

"Poor Little White Boy Fights The Power"

Done.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »

Are we supposed to find those tweets offensive?

Yes? Well the first one less so; that's just funny because he's one of the stereotypical "not letting white people use the n-word is the real racism" idiots.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »

Anybody who uses the phrases "check your privilege" or "triggers" is just a pathetic victim who will never amount to anything.

Sometimes people deserve the bad things that happen to them. Just for being so pathetic.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »

Anybody who uses the phrases "check your privilege" or "triggers" is just a pathetic victim who will never amount to anything.

Sometimes people deserve the bad things that happen to them. Just for being so pathetic.

That's a bit much. Yes, the phrase "check your privilege" is awful and the usage of "triggers" often verges on the unintentionally (or in some cases intentionally) comic, but it's still a bit much.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »

"Check your privilege" is an awful phrase, yes. Even worse is comparing being told to your check your privilege to being killed by a drone missile. Though the fact that this Tal fellow would even think that is an acceptable comparison is, incidentally, a wonderful example of white privilege. So I guess it comes full circle.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

That's a bit much. Yes, the phrase "check your privilege" is awful and the usage of "triggers" often verges on the unintentionally (or in some cases intentionally) comic, but it's still a bit much.

I have a penchant for overstating things, to say the least.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

Yes? Well the first one less so; that's just funny because he's one of the stereotypical "not letting white people use the n-word is the real racism" idiots.

Anyone who says "n" is a racist, regardless of their race.

As for the article it was perhaps guilty of forced edgy-ness, the drone bit came off as a bit too much itself. A bit unoriginal and ultimately not the best articulation of this viewpoint (i.e., the rational viewpoint) I have seen, but I am glad this viewpoint is finally being articulated and the fact there are many people in collegiate settings, particularly here, that hold contrary viewpoints is being noticed by the general public.

The lack of sanity of some of these social-justice-warrior types is alarming and should be a national issue. It should be put down before it spreads and festers and the next thing you know we've nationalised everything, have 90% marginal top rates, are calling each other "zir", and are teaching kindergarteners of how to combat "vestigial white male hegemony", and are seriously contemplating banning organised religion. Because I've heard all these proposed by these types. If "excessive bravery" is required to alert the general public to this, so be it.

I have a penchant for overstating things, to say the least.

As do I at times, but no one ever seems to be able to tell. Perhaps that is the goal.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »

Yes, telling people to keep in mind the advantages they have had in life and put in the effort to try and understand the viewpoints of historically marginalized groups is going to lead to some sort of queer matriarchal communist tyranny if we don't have more brave rich white men summon the courage to speak truth to feminists and gay activists and black student groups. Roll Eyes

Also, "this viewpoint" is being articulated constantly. Arguing that racial and gender disparities don't exist in America, completely ignoring historical context and its continuing impact on social and economic conditions in this country, telling marginalized groups that their views and demands are too radical, these have been a thing for a long time. Random Princeton freshman who is calling for genocide of Palestinians and decrying the oppression foisted on white kids who can't say the n-word in his free time is not the first person to say that America is a meritocracy and if you disagree you have a victim complex.
Nichlemn

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »

Are you a racist for saying it here?

Obviously not, you're using it for a meta-reference. It's kind of similar when blacks use the word. It's not generally intended to be demeaning, when it so often is when used by white people. That's not to say blacks have some kind of exclusive "n-word privileges", it would depend on the context. If a rich black businessman said something like "there are too many ns working for me", he'd probably get in almost as much trouble than if he were white, because in that context it would imply a degree of contempt similar to its historical usage.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2014, 10:43:10 PM by Amb. AG GM Pc. Cllr. Simfan34 OSA(G) OSA(S) (a big deal) »

Obviously not, you're using it for a meta-reference. It's kind of similar when blacks use the word. It's not generally intended to be demeaning, when it so often is when used by white people. That's not to say blacks have some kind of exclusive "n-word privileges", it would depend on the context. If a rich black businessman said something like "there are too many ns working for me", he'd probably get in almost as much trouble than if he were white, because in that context it would imply a degree of contempt similar to its historical usage.

What, that makes no sense. I'm not calling anyone it. I'm just listing it. It's demeaning to many, an instance of the "ghetto mentality" that holds black people back in this country. Context is irrelevant. It's a word no one should use. It's self-internalised racism, the colonisation of the mind at work! If Oleseun goes to school, does his homework, gets a good college degree, he is somehow no better than the "n----r" who dropped out and is a bum because they are still black? See, this is colonial logic at work! The self-internalised racism, that it is not the black man's place to be educated, to be well spoken, to be working in a good job! Those things are not "black", you see! Success=white! Do you see it, the colonisation of the mind at work?

The solution to the "problem" of "white privilege" is to extend this privilege to all, not to deprive others of it.
Nichlemn

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:23 PM »

What, that makes no sense. I'm not calling anyone it. I'm just listing it. It's demeaning to many, an instance of the "ghetto mentality" that holds black people back in this country. Context is irrelevant. It's a word no one should use. It's self-internalised racism, the colonisation of the mind at work! If Oleseun goes to school, does his homework, gets a good college degree, he is somehow no better than the "n----r" who dropped out and is a bum because they are still black? See, this is colonial logic at work! The self-internalised racism, that it is not the black man's place to be educated, to be well spoken, to be working in a good job! Those things are not "black", you see! Success=white! Do you see it, the colonisation of the mind at work?

The solution to the "problem" of "white privilege" is to extend this privilege to all, not to deprive others of it.

The idea behind black usage of the word is to "reclaim" it, to rob it of its oppressive context. That doesn't mean that blacks can't use it in a demeaning way, which is bad, yes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »

The idea behind black usage of the word is to "reclaim" it, to rob it of its oppressive context. That doesn't mean that blacks can't use it in a demeaning way, which is bad, yes.

Yadda yadda yadda. No. That's wrong. That's something poverty-enabling types like to state, you'll see no educated or successful black person say such a thing.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 05:49:42 AM »

Simfan is entirely detached from reality.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »

Not exactly, he makes interesting points. But, uh, I wouldn't give advice to the black community on how they should use that word myself because I'm white. I can, by stepping back, see how you could construct the idea that it leads to self-defeating behavioral patterns. But I would never insist on it as I have no relevant place in that discussion.

Which is the whole point of "check your privilege." If you aren't a member of the minority, your opinion weighs nothing as you cannot concretely understand. Sure, have an opinion - but don't act defiant and surprised when people are insulted or roll their eyes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 10:24:47 AM by Lіef »

Yes, this "ghetto culture is the reason that black people are poor" stuff is classist garbage.

Also apparently Jay Z isn't a successful black person lol.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 12:29:26 PM by Amb. AG GM Pc. Cllr. Simfan34 OSA(G) OSA(S) (a big deal) »

Yes, this "ghetto culture is the reason that black people are poor" stuff is classist garbage.

I have for a long time now advocating that people read Ghettonation by Cora Daniels. I don't think anyone actually has, though, and that's unfortunate because this book very clearly shows the effects of the "ghetto mentality", this "self-colonisation" on black people in this country. Stop being a poverty enabler. Any self-respecting person knows that the word "n----r" should not be used at all, the NAACP even "buried" the word in 2007 in a powerful if somewhat silly gesture.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies