Hypothetical: Putin bombs Poland and/or Baltics. What happens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:50:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hypothetical: Putin bombs Poland and/or Baltics. What happens?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hypothetical: Putin bombs Poland and/or Baltics. What happens?  (Read 3892 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »

Complete hypothetical: Putin bombs Poland and/or the Baltic states.

How would the world respond? What would NATO do? What would China do? Who would support Russia?

This would be full out war, kind of WWIII, but not the same scale as WWII, since Russia wouldn't have many allies. China would not ally with Russia.
I agree that China would likely sit out if a conflict between Russia and the U.S. broke out. In reality, Russia's only allies would be Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea. On the other hand, our main allies would be all the NATO member states, South Korea, Japan and Israel.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »

Complete hypothetical: Putin bombs Poland and/or the Baltic states.

How would the world respond? What would NATO do? What would China do? Who would support Russia?

This would be full out war, kind of WWIII, but not the same scale as WWII, since Russia wouldn't have many allies. China would not ally with Russia.
I agree that China would likely sit out if a conflict between Russia and the U.S. broke out. In reality, Russia's only allies would be Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea. On the other hand, our main allies would be all the NATO member states, South Korea, Japan and Israel.

Actually, I would not even be sure about Iran. They are not insane to get into a loosing game.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2014, 09:56:49 AM by Snowstalker »

Iran would stay neutral. The Middle East is becoming less and less relevant because it's less important now as a source of fossil fuels; a world war will either start in Eastern Europe or over one of the disputed island chains in the Pacific. There's no way the leftist governments in Latin America would be dumb enough to go to war, especially Cuba (which would last a solid week). It would be Russia and perhaps the ex-Soviet states that are Russian clients (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia) against NATO and possibly Japan/Australia/New Zealand.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »

NZ would stay out, Australia would be 50/50, Japan would be involved only if China wasn't.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »

NZ would stay out, Australia would be 50/50, Japan would be involved only if China wasn't.

On that note I wouldn't be surprised if several NATO states were to flake--Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

On that note I wouldn't be surprised if several NATO states were to flake--Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey?

The Greeks could be forgiven for sitting out a war at this point in time.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »

Tartar factor will be important in Turkey. If anything, I would expect there to be multiple pathways to Turkish involvement.

BTW, rumors are, the Volga Tartars got quite a bit riled up by what is going on. Whatever sociological studies that are coming out of there, have suddenly started to show significant ethnic tension.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

Militarily? No reason even to ask for their help (except in case of Japan). In terms of sanctions - I am pretty sure they all will be on board.

And China will stay out. Russian defeat will open up Siberia for China. It only benefits from the Western victory here. If anything, I will expect friendly neutrality, followed by the appearance of the Asian-looking "local self-defense units" in Khabarovsk and Vladivostok.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

Iran would stay neutral. The Middle East is becoming less and less relevant because it's less important now as a source of fossil fuels; a world war will either start in Eastern Europe or over one of the disputed island chains in the Pacific. There's no way the leftist governments in Latin America would be dumb enough to go to war, especially Cuba (which would last a solid week). It would be Russia and perhaps the ex-Soviet states that are Russian clients (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia) against NATO and possibly Japan/Australia/New Zealand.

Belarus and Kazakhstan will stay out. They might send symbolic best wishes and allow some volunteers (mainly, to get them out of their own countries). Their dictators have no vested interest in Russian success here - in fact, they fear it more than anything else. Belarus, at least, might be forced into the war, as it is geographically located between Russia and the West. Kazakhstan will certainly not do anything. Venezuela would, of course, declare that it is on board - but it can't really do anything, other than vote with Russia in the UN.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies