NE3: Scott Doctrine Repeal (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:12:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE3: Scott Doctrine Repeal (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NE3: Scott Doctrine Repeal (Law)  (Read 1202 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »

I am strongly against this. Any attempt by any state to secede from the region should be met with swift action against it.
This bill has nothing to do with secession from the Northeast. This bill (as well the one it repeals) regards a situation in which a State attempts to secede from the Federal government. I can understand not wanting to have a legal avenue through which the Northeast itself should secede and I would be willing to get rid of that part via amendment but there are way too many possible exceptions for us to be obligated to prevent secession by "any means necessary."

No there aren't. Get rid of it or keep it, it makes no matter, I don't support the bill.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »

I am strongly against this. Any attempt by any state to secede from the region should be met with swift action against it.
This bill has nothing to do with secession from the Northeast. This bill (as well the one it repeals) regards a situation in which a State attempts to secede from the Federal government. I can understand not wanting to have a legal avenue through which the Northeast itself should secede and I would be willing to get rid of that part via amendment but there are way too many possible exceptions for us to be obligated to prevent secession by "any means necessary."

No there aren't. Get rid of it or keep it, it makes no matter, I don't support the bill.
So...if the Federal government were to attempt to force, say, racial segregation on the Regions, or attempted to outlaw labor unions, and a State attempted to secede as a result, you believe that the Regional government should be bound by law to send troops to that State and coercively prevent it from seceding?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:19 AM »

So...if the Federal government were to attempt to force, say, racial segregation on the Regions, or attempted to outlaw labor unions, and a State attempted to secede as a result, you believe that the Regional government should be bound by law to send troops to that State and coercively prevent it from seceding?

Don't be silly. That's something that would never happen, which you and I both know. There are other ways to deal with something like that, namely at the ballot box. If something like that did happen, say the legislation to outlaw labor unions came about (A farcical notion considering the political alignments in Atlasia as a whole), then why should a state take such an action? Something like that would cause a national outrage and it would be dealt with on election day or even before that. I'm sorry but I can't envisage a scenario whereby a state may leave Atlasia and it can be considered constitutional.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

Don't be silly. That's something that would never happen, which you and I both know. There are other ways to deal with something like that, namely at the ballot box. If something like that did happen, say the legislation to outlaw labor unions came about (A farcical notion considering the political alignments in Atlasia as a whole), then why should a state take such an action? Something like that would cause a national outrage and it would be dealt with on election day or even before that. I'm sorry but I can't envisage a scenario whereby a state may leave Atlasia and it can be considered constitutional.
I still haven't seen any evidence that secession is unconstitutional. It probably is considering this is Atlasia, but I'd like to see the relevant constitutional text.

I realize it's highly unlikely that a State would actually attempt to secede, but that's what the Scott Doctrine addresses so it's not like we're dealing in likely scenarios to begin with. We might as well just repeal the Scott Doctrine and be done with it if we're going to dismiss any legislation that deals with secession as pointless due to the highly improbable nature of the subject it addresses.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »

Be my guest then. If the Scott Doctrine is useless, then we should repeal it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »

Just because it's unlikely the region will ever have to deal with the secession of one of its states doesn't mean the law is useless.  The law, if my memory serves, was introduced shortly after the IDS had to deal with a secession-related situation of its own.

The game may not be as spontaneous as it used to be, however unexpected things have happened before.  The policy itself has had no negative impact on the Northeast since it was enacted, and unless the supporters of repeal can prove otherwise, I see no reason not to keep it on the books.  Stop repealing good laws that don't need to be repealed.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »

Just because it's unlikely the region will ever have to deal with the secession of one of its states doesn't mean the law is useless.  The law, if my memory serves, was introduced shortly after the IDS had to deal with a secession-related situation of its own.

The game may not be as spontaneous as it used to be, however unexpected things have happened before.  The policy itself has had no negative impact on the Northeast since it was enacted, and unless the supporters of repeal can prove otherwise, I see no reason not to keep it on the books.  Stop repealing good laws that don't need to be repealed.
This law has had no negative effect (in fact, it's had no effect at all) because no secession scenario has come up since its passage. Saying we should keep it for that reason is like saying that it would make sense for us to keep a hypothetical law mandating that the Northeast surrender immediately in the case of a foreign invasion. Neither scenario is likely to occur, but that doesn't mean that the response prescribed by the law is a good one.

Also, if you're going to assert that the Scott Doctrine is a good law, you need to justify that assertion. I have given reasons for why it is a bad law.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »

Anyway, I motion to extend debate by ten minutes just so I can introduce an amendment.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

Motion granted.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »

The debate period is now over. We will now move to a vote on the passage of this bill, as amended:

This vote will last for 48 hours or until all Representatives have voted.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

This law has had no negative effect (in fact, it's had no effect at all) because no secession scenario has come up since its passage. Saying we should keep it for that reason is like saying that it would make sense for us to keep a hypothetical law mandating that the Northeast surrender immediately in the case of a foreign invasion. Neither scenario is likely to occur, but that doesn't mean that the response prescribed by the law is a good one.

Also, if you're going to assert that the Scott Doctrine is a good law, you need to justify that assertion. I have given reasons for why it is a bad law.

There is nothing unusual about policies that establish how a governing entity will respond to events that directly impact it.  Your suggestion that keeping this policy is akin to passing a law mandating some kind of 'automatic surrender' in the event of foreign invasion is completely ridiculous and not even worth responding to.  You haven't done anything but bring up a bunch of off-the-wall hypotheticals that are not only highly unlikely to occur (Racial segregation?  Give me a break), but that need not be protested by means of secession.

You cannot say that this is "bad law" and admit that it's had no impact since it was put on the books.  Stop trying to have it both ways.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »

There is nothing unusual about policies that establish how a governing entity will respond to events that directly impact it.  Your suggestion that keeping this policy is akin to passing a law mandating some kind of 'automatic surrender' in the event of foreign invasion is completely ridiculous and not even worth responding to.  You haven't done anything but bring up a bunch of off-the-wall hypotheticals that are not only highly unlikely to occur (Racial segregation?  Give me a break), but that need not be protested by means of secession.

You cannot say that this is "bad law" and admit that it's had no impact since it was put on the books.  Stop trying to have it both ways.
You're misinterpreting my argument. I'm not comparing this law to a law mandating automatic surrender. You basically claimed that, "This law had had no negative effect therefore we shouldn't repeal it." My hypothetical automatic surrender example was intended as an example of another that that in all likelihood would have had no actual negative impact (because the situation it addresses would likely never occur) but should still be repealed nonetheless. I'm not trying to suggest that a law mandating automatic surrender would have any similarities to this one in terms of actual content, I'm just trying to explain to you how a law can have no actual effect but still be bad.

Also, the unlikeliness argument doesn't really work here because it's unlikely that secession would ever occur to begin with. In discussing the hypotheticals of secession, we're necessarily going to be dealing with unlikely scenarios. Also, here's a good point that was brought up when this bill was first being debated: Do you believe that the Atlasian Founding Fathers should have been put to death for their attempts to secede from Britlasia (lol)?

Once again, just because a law has had no negative effect does not mean it is good. This law has had no positive effect either. If you believe that we need to have a law in place, the burden of proof is on you to justify that law. Besides, the reason the law has had no effect is because the situation it addresses has never actually occurred.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »

You're misinterpreting my argument. I'm not comparing this law to a law mandating automatic surrender. You basically claimed that, "This law had had no negative effect therefore we shouldn't repeal it." My hypothetical automatic surrender example was intended as an example of another that that in all likelihood would have had no actual negative impact (because the situation it addresses would likely never occur) but should still be repealed nonetheless. I'm not trying to suggest that a law mandating automatic surrender would have any similarities to this one in terms of actual content, I'm just trying to explain to you how a law can have no actual effect but still be bad.

Except that a law which does mandate automatic surrender would be bad in the event that the region is attacked.  You wouldn't enact something like that whether the region was a likely target for foreign offenders or not and just having such a policy on the books would send a signal to foreign entities that the region will not be defended in the event of an attack.  So yes, it would absolutely have an effect.

Secession has been an issue in the past.  And this has no bearing on what the Founders did.  All the Scott Doctrine does is enforce current law on secession by requiring the Northeast to oppose efforts to dissolve the union, to not recognize offending states diplomatically, and to hold the region together.  It is not a blanket moral pronouncement on when rebellion is justified.

Again, all the current law does is establish Northeast policy on secession - that being, of course, to maintain unity among the states, which I'd argue is one of the most basic responsibilities of any government.  You continue to call for the law's repeal, yet you have raised no valid argument as to why its place on the books is detrimental either to the game or to the nature of the region.  I have already proven why the Northeast is better off keeping the law in place than repealing it.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »

Except that a law which does mandate automatic surrender would be bad in the event that the region is attacked.  You wouldn't enact something like that whether the region was a likely target for foreign offenders or not and just having such a policy on the books would send a signal to foreign entities that the region will not be defended in the event of an attack.  So yes, it would absolutely have an effect.
I admit it wasn't the best example. But you must understand what I'm trying to say here. Even if a law has no negative effect because there has never been any actual need to enforce it, that doesn't negate the possibility that it might have a negative effect if there were a situation that would require its enforcement were to actually occur.

What current law? The Scott Doctrine is a blanket pronouncement because it requires the Regional government to do use military force against seceding States in all cases, which implies that secession is unjustified in every situation. Would you have supported to suppressive military actions of the Britlasians in the name of "holding the empire together?"

I have given a reason why the law ought to be repealed: I don't believe that "maintaining unity" justifies the use of completely unrestrained violent force in every situation. Anyway, it's clear we're never going to agree on this because we have radically different views of when violence is justified.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »

Aye
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2014, 09:39:43 PM by NE Rep SWE »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »

Nay
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »

Aye.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

By a vote of 3-2-0, this bill passes and goes on to the Governor for his signature or veto.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »

With one week having passed and no gubernatorial action having been taken on this bill, this bill automatically becomes law.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies