Opinion of Muhammad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:48:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Muhammad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Opinion of Muhammad  (Read 3216 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: May 05, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »

An extraordinary historical figure.

Also:

This thread is an example of why I hardly post here now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »

dead0man, displaying a picture of Muhammad is as offensive for the Muslims as taking a dumb on the cross would be offensive for the Christians.

But you won't get it anyway...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »

dead0man, displaying a picture of Muhammad is as offensive for the Muslims as taking a dumb on the cross would be offensive for the Christians.

But you won't get it anyway...

And as a Christian I don't think anyone should be modded or banned for either.

Actually I wouldn't find the latter offensive at all. All it proves is the person doing it is an immature idiot. It's like getting offended over the stupid trolls who get banned so quickly.

I have merely stated it's offensive for a lot of people.

Having a negative opinion on Muhammad (or any religious figure) is one. Being an asshat is another.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »

I don't, though some people may offended by SP (and pretty much any other TV Show) and that's their right. I'm not advocating censoring anything and you've once again missed the point by a mile.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »

Heh. I was merely pointing out something does offend many people, and you have responded with a long and irrevelant rant about going drunk to your church. The world does not resolve around you, Red. But, as a famous man once said, "bqhatevwr".

Yep, it's time to abandon this thread.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm sorry for being considerate to how other people, not sharing my viewpoint, may feel about certain things Roll Eyes

For a self-proclaimed "tolerant" and liberal" person, you're surprisingly unaware of anything but your own narrow percepton, Red. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

Trying to return to OP for a moment, I think historical figures as Muhammad (and, yep, Genghis Khan too) can't be objectively judged by our modern standards.

Sure, from our point of view he was an HP, but in context of his time he was a force of progress as opposed to most of his opponents, although there are black points of his record.

Really, such outlook is as shallow as certain banned poster asking on the history board if "Tudors supported welfare state".   

Kal's offended reaction to dead0man's completely vanilla post certainly is amusing. (I know he said that he was merely noting that it is offensive to other people, but I'm going to assume that he wouldn't call anyone an "asshat" if he were not offended).

Yes, reaction might have been too strong. My reasons were dead0man has quite a history of intentionally making insensitive and offensive remarks toward the Muslims. I don't like bigotry, that's all.

Does "an extraordinary historical figure" equal automatic FF?

I never said that. Please read without putting words in my mouth Roll Eyes

As unusual as it may be, I think I actually side with Dead0 and BRTD on this. The right to blasphemy is a fundamental conquest of our secular societies, and is only kept alive by exerting it actively. People with religious beliefs (whether it be Christians, Muslims or whatever) should simply learn not to be offended by the actions of those who do not share their beliefs.

Naturally. The people have a right to feel offended (seriously, every one of us was at least once offfended by something), but violence against the offending part is never justified.

I don't like when people are being offensive just for sake of pissing others off. That's stupid and unproductive. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as everyone here Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies