The Baltimore Sun takes a look at 2008 candidates...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Baltimore Sun takes a look at 2008 candidates...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Baltimore Sun takes a look at 2008 candidates...  (Read 3396 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:34:48 PM »

EARLY LEADER

Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) Brainy, savvy N.Y. senator and former first lady has no serious '06 re-election foe. As presidential contender, she'd pack fund-raising punch and potent appeal to key primary groups: women, liberals and African-Americans. Backed by seasoned advisers, including party's sharpest political mind -- her husband -- she'd be tough to outmaneuver.

OLD STANDBYS

John McCain (R) Runner-up to Bush in '00 knows how game is played but age (he'd be 72, three years older than Ronald Reagan, on Inauguration Day), health (serious form of skin cancer) and views (conservatives doubt his devotion, despite conservative voting record) are hurdles.

John Kerry (D) The '04 loser is off and running again. He's speaking up on issues in Washington and touring the country pushing universal health insurance for children. But many in party see scant enthusiasm for another White House try by the Mass. senator.

John Edwards (D) The '04 running mate is out of the Senate and back home in North Carolina, reprising theme of "two Americas" as head of Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity. Talented campaign organization is still intact. Lingering questions about whether he grew enough in first national run to merit another.

Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D) Aborted bid for presidency in '88 will be two decades in the past. Perch on Foreign Relations committee gives him something to talk about, and he wins candor credit for being first potential rival to say Hillary'd be "incredibly difficult to beat." But recent vote for bankruptcy bill offends liberal blogosphere, which dubs him "Senator from MBNA."

Howard Dean (D) Recently won national party chairmanship on pledge not to run in '08, but such promises are often and easily broken, see Clinton, Bill, 1992. New job lets him touch base of party throughout the country, where die-hard supporters from flamedout '04 run keep hope alive.

NEW FACES

Bill Frist (R) Tenn. senator quitting job as top Senate GOP next year to devote time to White House bid. Outworking potential rivals for early support. Cardiac surgeon and wants to be heartthrob of social conservatives.

Rudolph W. Giuliani (R) Former New York mayor is big draw as speaker and fund-raiser for fellow Republicans, but liberal views on abortion and gay rights are poison to social conservatives, who play outsized role in party politics.

Chuck Hagel (R) Neb. senator, Vietnam vet has reputation as party maverick. Call for raising Social Security retirement age reinforces image as truthteller. But '08 contest may have room for only one straight-talker, and McCain has seniority.

Mitt Romney (R) Mass. governor, honcho of '02 winter Olympics has business background, good looks, convenient address. Primary voters in N.H. often reward neighbors, but evangelical wing may not warm to idea of Mormon president.

George F. Allen (R) Va. senator could emerge as surprise contender. Favorite of social conservatives, but he's littleknown nationally. Son of former Washington Redskins coach had successful term as governor.

Bill Richardson (D) Nation's highest-ranking Hispanic official has impressive resume and appeal to prized voting bloc. N.M. governor has also been energy secretary, U.N. ambassador and congressman. Untested as national candidate.

Mark Warner (D) Self-made multimillionaire (cell phones) drew party acclaim by winning governor's mansion in reliably Republican Virginia. Oneterm limit in current job frees him for presidential run. He is promoting education reform.

Evan Bayh (D) Was governor of red-state Indiana from mid-'80s to mid-'90s. Now in second term as low-profile senator. More aggressive than some in staffing up '08 run. Biggest impediment could be reputation as boring, uninspired campaigner.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:56:23 PM »

The only thing dissapointing about the article is the lack of governors from the Republican side (other than Romney who has 0% of a chance).  It's not like there isn't plenty to choose from or anything.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »

I disagree with the article about Dean's word on not running. I think he is sincere about it. The fire in his belly was to improve the Democratic Party. He can do that from his current condition better than as a Pres. candidate.

And it failed to mention Hillary's negatives.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:46:40 PM »

I can't believe Sanford wasn't mentioned. Also, I don't think Dean is dumb enough to run in '08. Worst of all, as TCash said, it didn't mention any possible negatives to a Hillary run, and we all know there are many.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 12:14:50 AM »

I can't believe Sanford wasn't mentioned. Also, I don't think Dean is dumb enough to run in '08. Worst of all, as TCash said, it didn't mention any possible negatives to a Hillary run, and we all know there are many.

Schweitzer wasn't mentioned, either.

What negatives to a Hillary run? The most polarizing politician just won re-election. Being polarizing is over-rated, and actually she isn't that polarizing.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 12:20:27 AM »

They should have split it up by party, not just generalize it. Nothing you can't find on virtually any political site, but I digress.

Keep in mind, the candidates you think are best (Schweitzer, Sanford, etc) aren't doing much nationally or even gaining real grass-roots support.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 12:31:22 AM »

Al Gore doesn't make the list?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 12:32:49 AM »

He has said a number of times that he will not be a candidate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:35:10 AM »

That didn’t keep the Sun from mentioning Dean.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 12:42:09 AM »

Edwards said he didn't want to be a candidate for vice president.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 01:00:18 AM »

This has to be the most bias view of the up coming race I have seen so far.  We can all see who the Sun supports.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 01:02:30 AM »

This has to be the most bias view of the up coming race I have seen so far.  We can all see who the Sun supports.

Im not gonna' lie.  The Baltimore Sun should be re-named.  Maybe, something like
"The Baltimore-Democratic-Liberal-AntiEhrlich-AntiBush Sun".
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:02 AM »

Wish I had the article, but the New York Post has them beat.  An article from a few weeks ago said Pataki could win the Senate seat in 06 & then make a run for President
Cashcow

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:33:54 AM »

Yeah, so did Casey.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 09:14:36 AM »

Im not gonna' lie.  The Baltimore Sun should be re-named.  Maybe, something like
"The Baltimore-Democratic-Liberal-AntiEhrlich-AntiBush Sun".

Though it's management (Tribune Company) are nasty union-busters. I guess they haven't sent down orders to the editorial board yet to be more conservative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 11:45:11 AM »

Yeah, so did Casey.

Except he had people begging him to run and changed his mind. That's not the case with Gore.

Hey, I hope Gore changes his mind. I'd love to see him get beat again.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »

Yeah, so did Casey.

I'd love to see him win again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 01:56:43 PM »

Yeah, so did Casey.

That might have been funny in early 2001 but it's really old now.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 02:06:41 PM »

Yeah, so did Casey.

Forgot the smiley.
And I doubt you'd have been laughing in early 2001 anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 02:07:48 PM »

Yeah, so did Casey.

And I doubt you'd have been laughing in early 2001 anyway.

I wouldn't but it would make more sense to use it then.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 02:34:33 PM »

And Hillary
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 05:37:01 PM »

And Hillary

Hillary has never ruled out 2008, only 2004.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 08:23:22 PM »

Both Parties face a serious hurdle in Hillary Clinton.  Dems running for the nomination will have to compete not only against Hillary, but also against a fawning MSM.  This is a problem of sorts for the GOP as well, but with more than 600 talk radio station nationwide, Republicans can still get their message out.  also, most Republicnas don't trust the MSM, so it is no too likely that their views of the campaign will be shaped by anything the media throws at their candidate.  2004 was a perfect example.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 08:24:38 PM »

Both Parties face a serious hurdle in Hillary Clinton.  Dems running for the nomination will have to compete not only against Hillary, but also against a fawning MSM.  This is a problem of sorts for the GOP as well, but with more than 600 talk radio station nationwide, Republicans can still get their message out.  also, most Republicnas don't trust the MSM, so it is no too likely that their views of the campaign will be shaped by anything the media throws at their candidate.  2004 was a perfect example.

Can we get over the liberal media myth already?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 08:38:16 PM »

Other than Fox News, it isn't a myth.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies