Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:48:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80
Poll
Question: Are you missing Update right now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again  (Read 187661 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »

It's just that the unhealthy stuff tastes really good and is really comforting.  It's also very convenient.  It's a lot more convenient to go down to McDonald's or Braum's and order a big hamburger when you're wanting a quick dinner.  It takes time and effort to plan out and fix a proper meal.  Even though right now I've got all the time in the world pretty much without a job.  The convenience factor is sometimes too strong.  I usually feel miserable after the meal and the scale is not too friendly the next morning generally, but still, the convenience overshadows even the immediate icky effects.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #626 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »

Then cancel that out by working out more.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #627 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »

It's just that the unhealthy stuff tastes really good and is really comforting.  It's also very convenient.  It's a lot more convenient to go down to McDonald's or Braum's and order a big hamburger when you're wanting a quick dinner.  It takes time and effort to plan out and fix a proper meal.  Even though right now I've got all the time in the world pretty much without a job.  The convenience factor is sometimes too strong.  I usually feel miserable after the meal and the scale is not too friendly the next morning generally, but still, the convenience overshadows even the immediate icky effects.

Then move out of your comfort zone. Go eat more grilled chicken and salad.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #628 on: June 20, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »

Fish, I think, could also be helpful, especially since there are a lot of kinds of fish that are vastly more flavorful than grilled chicken.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #629 on: June 20, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

Bushie, I will be the first to admitI don't eat nearly as healthy as I should.  I drink too much soda, eat too much Pizza, not enough Vegetables, etc.  With that being said my habits aren't complete crap.  Not to mention it is one thing to eat crap every now and then, no one is saying you must eat healthy everytime, but you never do.

To top that,  you balance your horrible eating habits with never working out.   I bet you still haven't spent a whole $20 on a pair of dumbbells yet have you??
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #630 on: June 20, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »

Does Allison ever exercise?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #631 on: June 21, 2014, 02:09:22 AM »

Bushie your diet is garbage and I'm not even talking about health wise. Flavor wise it sucks.

Fast food bacon cheeseburgers and Diet Dr Pepper every day? Please. Eating unhealthy is one thing but eating the same crap is a waste of life.  Before you even start eating a weird vegan health diet like you plan on, you need at least try to eat different kinds of junk.

I'm chowing down a chicken shawarma right now. Is that healthy at 1 am? No, but damn it's better than a bacon cheeseburger 14 times a week.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #632 on: June 21, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »

Why do you drink regular soda outside of the house? What's so hard about diet soda? Why am I still giving you advice when I've harped on for years about the futility of doing so?
Diet soda is (likely) worse for you than "regular" soda.  Certainly doesn't help a human lose weight.

cite
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #633 on: June 21, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »

Bushie your diet is garbage and I'm not even talking about health wise. Flavor wise it sucks.

Fast food bacon cheeseburgers and Diet Dr Pepper every day? Please. Eating unhealthy is one thing but eating the same crap is a waste of life.  Before you even start eating a weird vegan health diet like you plan on, you need at least try to eat different kinds of junk.

I'm chowing down a chicken shawarma right now. Is that healthy at 1 am? No, but damn it's better than a bacon cheeseburger 14 times a week.

Where is Bushie going to get a Chicken Shawarma in Oklahoma?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #634 on: June 21, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »

There are a lot of results for "Mediterranean cuisine" in Tulsa. While it's not like NYC where there's a halal cart on every corner, I'm sure there's a place serving kebabs/gyros/sharmwa near him.

But he should focus on adding water-heavy fruits to his diet. Kebabs are hardly health food. As for diet soda it's not as if that's health food either, but it's an improvement over what he has now. It's clear he needs to ease into it. He's addicted right now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #635 on: June 21, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »

Are there even Arabs in Tulsa?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #636 on: June 21, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »

Then cancel that out by working out more.
He would have to follow the exercise regimen of an Olympic athlete to burn off the calories that he eats. His diet is the bigger problem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: June 21, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »

Memphis is right, Bushie's on the Michael Phelps diet at the moment. I'm telling you, a switch to a healthier diet would produce rapid changes. How many calories is Bushie eating at the moment?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #638 on: June 21, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »

There is a sizeable Arab/Muslim population, especially in East Tulsa. I see them at the nearby Walmart Neighborhood Market about a mile from my apartment.

I also see several Indians (country), as well as Hispanics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #639 on: June 21, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »

Arab food isn't necessarily healthy,  but all I'm saying is that he needs to start enjoying variety.

As for portion control my first recommendation is that he buy a gallon bottle of water and require himself to drink it completely every day. 1 gallon of straight water a day. If he can stomach Dr Pepper and milkshakes on top of that, its a treat but the water comes first.  Pour a glass and chug before every meal. Going out to eat? Get a glass of water to start and don't start eating until that water is finished.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #640 on: June 21, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »

This is something opebo and I were discussing a few seasons back. There's nothing wrong with gluttony, and if you choose to spend your one life being a glutton, that's great. But there are so many more enjoyable ways to eat three to four thousand calories worth of food per day.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: June 21, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

This is something opebo and I were discussing a few seasons back. There's nothing wrong with gluttony, and if you choose to spend your one life being a glutton, that's great. But there are so many more enjoyable ways to eat three to four thousand calories worth of food per day.

I actually remember the quote, something like "If he were obese because he snacked on buttery croissants and rare steaks with creamy sauces and duck-fat fried potatoes on the side with tasty beers the whole day, that would be one thing." Well, that was the exact quote, but it's right.

King, I don't know how that would work. A gallon a day? That's twice the recommended amount. I mean I can see the logic in it but I feel like that can exacerbate uneven eating. Which is why I suggest eating a lot of water-heavy food, because it has that filling effect whilst having some nutrition and calories.

I mean, Bushie, what do you think of grapes, watermelon, celery, pineapple, things like that? I mean try eating them a lot. It keeps you filled without all the junk.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #642 on: June 21, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »

I mean, Bushie, what do you think of grapes, watermelon, celery, pineapple, things like that? I mean try eating them a lot. It keeps you filled without all the junk.
^^
i usually slice up one or two apples in the morning and snack on them throughout the day
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #643 on: June 21, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 01:19:38 PM by memphis »

Now I'm reminded of VanderBlubb, posing as Bushie, saying that he always eats a big bowl of grapes, so that it can balance out the bad food.
The drinking a lot of water to lose weight idea is actually one that Bushie himself put a lot of emphasis on in seasons past. I don't know whether or not he followed through on it but he talked quite a bit about drinking a lot of water, as opppsed to exercising or eating fresh foods, which has never been part of his "planning."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #644 on: June 21, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 12:55:00 PM by Simfan34 »

I've decided to calculate Bushie's present calorie intake based on his weight. If he's maintaining/ trending upwards he's probably consuming 3200 calories a day. If he were to cut out 1000 calories, in about 8 months he'd be able to get to 220 lbs- and this is without any exercise at all!

Now I'm reminded of VanderBlubb, posing as Bushie, saying that he always eats a big bowl of grapes, so that it can balance out the bad food.

The drinking a lot of water to lose weight idea is actually one that Bushie himself put a lot of emphasis on in seasons past. I don't know whether or not he followed through on it but he talked quite a bit about drinking a lot water, as opppsed to exercising or eating fresh foods, which has never been part of his "planning."

I remember that, actually. It's a good idea, I suppose, but the funny/sad that the idea that the grapes would "balance" out the bad food that was meant as parody is in fact something he stated in terms of the salad bar! I imagine he fell of the bandwagon, but eating water-filled foods throughout the day would keep his appetite down. But, Bushie, this is not supposed to be in conjunction with eating all the junk you eat presently, but rather in its stead.

I don't know why I keep on doing this. I bet, as we speak, he is eating some burger right now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #645 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »

King, I don't know how that would work. A gallon a day? That's twice the recommended amount. I mean I can see the logic in it but I feel like that can exacerbate uneven eating. Which is why I suggest eating a lot of water-heavy food, because it has that filling effect whilst having some nutrition and calories.

I say a gallon of water because Bushie hasn't proven himself to be capable of sticking to general suggestions. We know how it would end. He eats watermelon once and says he'll do it again sometime but never does.

A strict rule on water like a glass before every meal and a gallon a day would help his portion control and I think it's something he could legitimately stick to, almost like lapbanding him with water.

We have to be realists with Bushie and realize he's always going to be craving the food he's spent a whole lifetime eating. The best path forward for someone like him is to make him so full on water before each cheeseburger and fries that he won't be able to finish the cheeseburger and fries.  That's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Then, next stage would be a glass of water and a light salad before every cheeseburger and fries.

Really, the most realistic diet for him would be to slog through water and a plate of vegetables with the knowledge that a kids meal sized bacon cheeseburger and fries is a reward if he finishes.  It's not a new idea either, http://www.amazon.com/VB6-Before-Weight-Restore-Health/dp/0385344740
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »

I mean, I see your point, but it's something I've done a few times- not wholly intentionally- but I know from my experience is that what happens is that the water passes through you and then you're immensely hungry.

But I think what he could do- and this is where Updaters could help him if they genuinely cared- is plan his eating for the week, as in map out each meal. He could- must, even- post it here and have us check on him. This could work well with his known OCD nature at times. It's not something I do, but if he really lacks self control to the extent we've come to believe it might be necessary.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #647 on: June 21, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »

I mean, I see your point, but it's something I've done a few times- not wholly intentionally- but I know from my experience is that what happens is that the water passes through you and then you're immensely hungry.

But I think what he could do- and this is where Updaters could help him if they genuinely cared- is plan his eating for the week, as in map out each meal. He could- must, even- post it here and have us check on him. This could work well with his known OCD nature at times. It's not something I do, but if he really lacks self control to the extent we've come to believe it might be necessary.
I once offerred to make short videos of myself cooking simple and reasonable meals so that he would have convenient tutorials on hand but, alas, at the age of 30, he was not allowed to use the oven and so he was forced to politely refuse my offer. His parents are very much responsible for his situation. But at least it was a better outcome than if I had gone through the trouble and he still didn't use the resource. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »

His parents didn't allow him to use the oven? What? Is it possible they see nothing wrong with what's going on with him? And I mean unless this was several years ago I doubt you'd need to make them yourself- I'm sure someone else already has and it's on YouTube for the world to see.

I mean I'd be willing to help him plan out three meals a day and check if he's followed it. I don't know for how long. And why, I'm not entirely sure.

Indeed, I'm so unsure about most of this that I've pretty much decided to embrace the "psychological" explanations for his behavior; ie, he uses his weight as an excuse for not taking responsibility or initiative in life, the whole Kenya adventure was an attempt to put himself in a position of authority, and so forth. Yet here I am offering help.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

We have to be realists with Bushie and realize he's always going to be craving the food he's spent a whole lifetime eating.

Sorry to interject, longtime reader first time poster, but if this is the case has anyone suggested he switch to bison burgers?  Bison meat is much healthier for you than beef, rich in protein but with much lower cholesterol and saturated fats.  Has a bit of a sweeter taste to it as well.  It’s a little more expensive usually but the health effects would pay off in dividends.  
Welcome to the Update! Fast food establishments would have to adopt bison for him to eat it. He doesn't cook for himself. Also, it would need to be Oklahoma normative to order them. He doesn't like being different.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies