Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:15:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 80
Poll
Question: Are you missing Update right now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again  (Read 187293 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »

Seems that if is true he had a passing overall grade, he bombed one of these LAP tests. Assuming the teacher did allow a retry and he passed, he failed a subsequent one and the prof was having none of it.

It wasn't the LAP tests that I bombed, rather it was one of the final projects that I rushed through and only got a 50% on.  That is what hurt me.  The LAP tests were all in the 90's or 100%.
You were giving us scores for each test and many were less than 90...

That is true, but the thing is he made everybody redo the tests until they got a 100, which for me usually happened on the second try.  He averaged the two scores together which brought most of them into the 90s.  There were a few that the average was in the high 70's and low 80's, which is another factor into why final grade was where it was.  Most of them were in the 90s and a couple of them were 100, which means I got a 100 on the first try.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1401 on: July 13, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed CAD.  There is no doubt about that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1402 on: July 13, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »

Maybe bushie is just a really crappy interviewer? Or he's just being lazy trying to find places. I don't know why everyone else would be getting CADD jobs except him, especially since he claims everywhere he looks wants experienced drafters.

I don't know what the deal is, but I call the employment agencies around Tulsa and OKC and very rarely do they have an entry-level drafting job come open.  When they did open, I applied for them, but never got hired at any of them.  I don't think I'm a terrible interviewer, per se, as I do, at least in my mind, appear interested, knowledgeable, and engaging.  I really have no idea why I haven't been able to land a job.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1403 on: July 13, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

Have you contacted anyone from your class to see how they found their jobs? What methods they used? Who they went through? Are you the only one who hasn't found a job yet out of your class of adults (not high schoolers, I assume they are going to college).

Look, I realize you aren't interested in looking for anyone CADD jobs, but you spent the money on the program and worked for a year to get that degree, so I want to see you get a job in that field.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1404 on: July 13, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »

Have you contacted anyone from your class to see how they found their jobs? What methods they used? Who they went through? Are you the only one who hasn't found a job yet out of your class of adults (not high schoolers, I assume they are going to college).

Look, I realize you aren't interested in looking for anyone CADD jobs, but you spent the money on the program and worked for a year to get that degree, so I want to see you get a job in that field.

The only contact I have with them is through my instructor.  I never exchanged personal numbers with them.  The last time I talked with my instructor, which was in early June, he said that the other two Mechanical CAD students graduated and found jobs almost immediately.  I did not ask him how they found the jobs.  The Architectural CAD student had a few leads, but nothing definitive.  One of the Civil CAD students found himself in the hospital shortly after I left and never came back to school.  He was on track to finish this coming Christmas.  The other Civil CAD student finished and I can't remember what he said about his job status.

I would still love to get a CAD job, but one of my problems is I get discouraged real easily and give up too easily and settle for lesser jobs that waste my talent.  Part of that is the feeling of desperation and needing money very quickly and not willing to wait for the right job to come along.  I hate uncertainty.  It drives me nuts.  I settle for a job so I can have some degree of certainty rather than being patient for my dream job.  I had to take this job I have now because finances were starting to get tight and I needed a paycheck and hated to be that big of a burden to Mom and Dad.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1405 on: July 13, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »

Bushie, if you're not going to commit to eat fruits and vegetables daily, will you at least do me a favor and start taking a multivitamin supplement? One pill a day with breakfast. If you don't want a pill, there's also gummies and drink mixes too.

This is actually a very good suggestion.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1406 on: July 13, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

Maybe bushie is just a really crappy interviewer? Or he's just being lazy trying to find places. I don't know why everyone else would be getting CADD jobs except him, especially since he claims everywhere he looks wants experienced drafters.

Very few 300 pound men make good interviewees. People that size simply "look lazy" to HR departments.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1407 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »

Bushie, if you're not going to commit to eat fruits and vegetables daily, will you at least do me a favor and start taking a multivitamin supplement? One pill a day with breakfast. If you don't want a pill, there's also gummies and drink mixes too.

And already ignored it seems. Sad

Bushie is fine with taking antibiotics but is allergic to health.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1408 on: July 13, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »

The only contact I have with them is through my instructor.  I never exchanged personal numbers with them.  The last time I talked with my instructor, which was in early June, he said that the other two Mechanical CAD students graduated and found jobs almost immediately.  I did not ask him how they found the jobs.  The Architectural CAD student had a few leads, but nothing definitive.  One of the Civil CAD students found himself in the hospital shortly after I left and never came back to school.  He was on track to finish this coming Christmas.  The other Civil CAD student finished and I can't remember what he said about his job status.

I would still love to get a CAD job, but one of my problems is I get discouraged real easily and give up too easily and settle for lesser jobs that waste my talent.  Part of that is the feeling of desperation and needing money very quickly and not willing to wait for the right job to come along.  I hate uncertainty.  It drives me nuts.  I settle for a job so I can have some degree of certainty rather than being patient for my dream job.  I had to take this job I have now because finances were starting to get tight and I needed a paycheck and hated to be that big of a burden to Mom and Dad.

I get that you get discouraged, but think about the money you spent on the course! If I make an investment of money or time, I damn well better get a return on it or I won't be happy. Perhaps ask Russ for help or some leads?

Just because you have work now doesn't mean you can't look for CAD jobs. That is why you went back to school after all. Now, you're just doing what you could have been doing a year ago except you're in debt an additional $5,000. Just don't tell the interviewer to call your current employer as a reference.

If you adopt your current plan, you're sure to be stuck in call centers until you're fired next. If you indeed finished the program, then work to find a job. If others have been employed, the "job market" isn't the problem.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1409 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »

Very few 300 pound men make good interviewees. People that size simply "look lazy" to HR departments.

This is a very ugly truth. And unlike other things that sometimes trigger hiring discrimination - like race or gender - Bushie's weight is something that he can do something about.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1410 on: July 13, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

This is very true.. it's why I'm glad I'm not Three hundo anymore.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1411 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »

I am seriously considering it.  I haven't responded till now, but it gives me something to consider.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1412 on: July 13, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »

This is a very ugly truth. And unlike other things that sometimes trigger hiring discrimination - like race or gender - Bushie's weight is something that he can do something about.

I have no doubt my weight and my Tourette's affect the interview.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1413 on: July 13, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »

if you recognize that fact, why do your weight explode during the past 6 months, just when you were entering the job market?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1414 on: July 13, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »

This is very true.. it's why I'm glad I'm not Three hundo anymore.

Word. People treat you better when you are fit vs. fat.  Ive noticed people smile more at you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1415 on: July 13, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »

if you recognize that fact, why do your weight explode during the past 6 months, just when you were entering the job market?

Carelessness
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1416 on: July 13, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »

Scale check: After a spike in my weight yesterday back to 290.8, I managed to do well enough yesterday combined with the water weight to come in at 288.8 this morning.  That's a drop of 3 pounds in the past week.  It's a small change and nothing to write home about, but it's headed in the right direction.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1417 on: July 13, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »

Just water weight. You haven't been cutting back on eating - you ate burgers, fries, soda, hot dogs and the like all last week.

We all need to stop bothering him about his weight. He has an addiction to food. Until he changes his lifestyle or mindset, nothing will change, and I imagine if he tried to change his lifestyle, his family would not approve. It's his culture that is the root of the problem, as they do not encourage or even embrace a healthy life style, as I bet they view it as evil liberalism that represents the secular coastal living.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1418 on: July 13, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 05:28:40 PM by memphis »

What Duke says is a real thing. I've been working very hard to get in shape for about 18 months now. My parents think I'm "so skinny." My dad told me that I'm "turning into a stick figure."  I'm 5'8, 175-180, and am still well within overweight BMI. The cultural expectation of obesity in the non-elite South is ridiculous.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1419 on: July 13, 2014, 05:50:23 PM »

Scale check: After a spike in my weight yesterday back to 290.8, I managed to do well enough yesterday combined with the water weight to come in at 288.8 this morning.  That's a drop of 3 pounds in the past week.  It's a small change and nothing to write home about, but it's headed in the right direction.

Show us the scale
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1420 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »

Just water weight. You haven't been cutting back on eating - you ate burgers, fries, soda, hot dogs and the like all last week.

We all need to stop bothering him about his weight. He has an addiction to food. Until he changes his lifestyle or mindset, nothing will change, and I imagine if he tried to change his lifestyle, his family would not approve. It's his culture that is the root of the problem, as they do not encourage or even embrace a healthy life style, as I bet they view it as evil liberalism that represents the secular coastal living.

Maybe it's what he needs.... if he doesn't get it now, he never will. Not a single person in my life told me that I needed to lose weight. Nobody pestered me, nobody said "Hey, AndrewCT/TX... you doing okay? Don't want to be rude, but looks like you packed on a few pounds.."  My weight got out of control, and at 6 foot I got to my heaviest of around 315lbs back in September. I had to do it the hard way.. I had to learn it on my own that my life was out of control. I started working out in November, and I'm down to 243. Not much, but I'm still busting my ass to lose weight.

He has an entire group of people here who regardless of what he thinks, is telling him he needs to get healthy, he needs to start looking after himself. And yet he says that he is going to change, and goes and ignores it.  As much as I can be indifferent to the kid, I want to see Jeffie get his life back on track and into better health.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1421 on: July 13, 2014, 06:17:01 PM »

I am seriously considering it.  I haven't responded till now, but it gives me something to consider.

Do not consider. Do it.

I'm pretty sure you will start feeling better.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1422 on: July 13, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »

Do not consider. Do it.

As if someone who eats nothing but garbage needs to debate and consider the merits of taking a vitamin. SMH

"Considering it" means he won't do it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1423 on: July 13, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »

Do not consider. Do it.

I'll go to Walmart this week (maybe tomorrow night), what kind do you recommend?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1424 on: July 13, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 06:29:36 PM by King »

Personally I prefer Emergen-C but it's a drink mix so you might not stick with it if you don't like the taste.

Get One-A-Day Men's Health or store brand equivalent if you want to go cheaper. Just make sure it says daily multivitamin, for adult males.

And please commit yourself to taking one all the time, even if it's being washed down by Dr. Pepper.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies