Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:30:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 80
Poll
Question: Are you missing Update right now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again  (Read 187217 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: July 17, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »

Despite what I said earlier,  I have no plans to give up the job and I'm not in any danger.  It is a paycheck,  and that's a big thing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1626 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »

If i haven't heard anything by Tuesday,  I will call her again.  I want to give her time, but I also want to be persistent.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1627 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

One of the many very odd things about Bushie is how he can not only regurgitate talking points from his employers perfectly despite not being good at anything else, but he seems to believe and buy all of them hook, line and sinker even though virtually no one else does including (actually make that "especially") the people who write them. We saw it back when he believed he was doing people good by hawking the Ameriplan crap and when he defended duping people into buying $1000 vacuum cleaners with arguments about how they really needed such things or they'd get sick all the time from dust or whatever. Now he thinks he's doing all the people he's calling a huge favor with all these products and services AT&T customers just need! Now granted this is nowhere near as morally reprehensible as the other stuff, since he's probably selling stuff that at least has a use and isn't insanely overpriced, but acting like he's doing anyone a huge favor is quite amusing.

Of course that's probably just all chalked up to his extreme cognitive dissonance about basically everything.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1628 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »

This really seems bizarre... "training" that involved hours of sports talk and no description of exactly whAt you are doing?

Hands up anyone that would stay in that room for more than an hour?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1629 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »

This really seems bizarre... "training" that involved hours of sports talk and no description of exactly whAt you are doing?

Hands up anyone that would stay in that room for more than an hour?

At least we got paid for it.  Still, I had your exact same sentiment around 10:30 this morning.  I thought about going home at lunch, but then I thought better about it and we did actually go over the call flow for half the afternoon so I'm glad I stayed.  Of course, getting that extra 4 hours of pay wasn't too bad, either!

Tomorrow, we're supposed to role-play for a while, so I hope that will take up more time.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1630 on: July 17, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

Job description aside, Jeff, you've indicated that there is a sales aspect to this job. As someone who has observed your experience in previous positions and actually spent time with you reviewing your individual profile and core competencies through the ProScan, or PDP, I'm FACTUALLY concerned that you're putting yourself in a very difficult situation with a job like this. Or any call-center related job. They may be easy positions to land, but there is a factual reason why you struggle with them so much: your core personality traits --  your basic, natural self -- clashes with what's required in these positions.

Let's consider the PDP, which is extraordinarily accurate in its own right, but which you qualitatively confirmed when I did your read-back.

The PDP shows your lowest, weakest trait to be that of dominance. Other surveys read this as authority or autonomy ... whatever you choose to call it, when it comes to an employment situation, you're one who is more expecting the path to be laid out for you. Extroversion was also a low trait for you. That doesn't mean you're not a friendly, amenable or approachable person; it just means that you're not likely the one doing the approaching. You're not the life of the party.

On the other hand, the PDP showed your pace and conformity as your high traits. High conformity has you, in employment situations, more comfortable with systems and processes, and your pace -- your highest trait -- indicates that you're best with one task at a time. You'll do an exceptionally thorough job if the task is clear and the process laid out ... you're just not very comfortable if there is disruption to that flow.

Here's the ProScan's overview of you:

You are dependable, steady and efficient. Dedicated to respected programs and people. You are sincerely cautious and conscientious, wanting things done well.

Able to do repetitive tasks, you usually like a consistent routine. Make every move count. Can be uncomfortable if placed under too much unjustified pressure or confrontational environments.

You are friendly and well accepted by others. A cooperative and peaceful approach is your preference. Do not want yourself or others taken advantage of.

Let's consider that second paragraph of the profile overview ... "can be uncomfortable if placed under too much unjustified pressure or confrontational environments." "Confrontational environment" might as well be the tagline for every single call center in existence. And just try throwing sales into the mix, and you'll get a healthy dose of pressure, as well. In sales, you succeed or you go hungry. No pressure.

Other insights from the ProScan include:

The CONFORMITY trait and its relationship to the above would represent you as being careful, thorough, dependable, conservative and systems oriented. You want to be correct and desire guidelines to work within.

The DOMINANCE trait suggests you are supportive, collaborative and modest. You may place importance on security and prefer to work with leadership that has a strong sense of direction and purpose.

The EXTROVERSION trait indicates you are a reserved, private and quiet person especially around strangers. The more familiar you become with an individual or group, the higher your comfort level of expressing yourself to them.

You actually have a reasonably high energy level, which probably allows you to zero in and focus on routine or repetitive tasks ... something that would drive a dominant or an extrovert crazy. And, very predictably, the ProScan indicated that you base most of your decisions on feeling (which possibly negates the entire purpose of this, as memphis referred to it, "high quality and lengthy" post).

The Culture Index, another survey designed to get to the root of an employee's natural tendencies and strengths, would say you fit an "Operator" profile. Here's the description ... and remember when we discussed this on the phone a couple of years ago, these surveys are designed to paint with a broad brush but capture 80-to-90 percent of your basic self.

This individual is an easy going, laid back processor of tasks. A creature of habit, they prefer stability and predictability. If the work environment is a place where they can be routinely comfortable, they'd prefer for their surroundings not to experience variation. Not a change agent, not caring or wanting to be, this person is as steady and consistent as you can get for an employee. NOTE: steady and consistent only applies if this person is in the RIGHT role. Jeff has undoubtedly been in roles that are the opposite of his natural tendencies, lending the appearance of an inability to be steady or consistent.

They are interested in performing tasks, as projects would require interaction with others for direction. They are not interested in working with lots of people, as they prefer to work with tangible items that don't talk back. They are not interested in multi-tasking because to try and do so causes them some discomfort; however, they are a stickler for details. We all know Jeff to be almost OCD when it comes to certain details that we find ridiculous, and we've also often lamented his ability to multitask in the simplest of ways ... say, watching a baseball game and looking for a job at the same time.

The Operators are invaluable in positions that require little connection to the public and an ability to focus on one task at a time. Due to their long attention span on repetitive workloads, they can appear to outwork most people. They will find their own way of doing things, or their own system where they appear to work seamlessly. The rest of us would stumble in the same consistent, methodical environment.

Don't think about moving their stapler, or their computer mouse, or garden hose, as they will view it as a personally disruptive change, and even though they may be slow to burn, if they perceive the move to be wrong, you will hear about it.

The Operator does require clearly defined duties. A detailed to-do list is a necessity as this person may continue to work on one aspect of a project past quitting time, regardless of the aspect's importance. Also be careful that you do not overload them. The Operator's pace will not allow for speedy completion times. They need deadlines because of their single-minded dedication.

Risk-oriented problems requiring resolve will make them uncomfortable and will ultimately push them to approach others for assistance. They would just as soon stay with the task at hand rather than have to go off and seek direction from others. Methodical and efficient, this person will rarely ask questions or offer opinions unless asked. They will be the last to join a meeting and the first to leave because they want to return to the comfort level of their work station.

If the Operator is treated fairly, you will find them to have guardian qualities. If they perceive something to be a threat, they will not allow the menace to proceed unless told to do so. Steadfast and stubborn, the Operator may not appear to be watchful, but with their skeptical, introverted view of the world, they know what's going on.

The Operator will make decisions based on what the book says, or what history has dictated. You will see strong behavior from them when they defend what they know or if they are pushed into an immediate change. In either case, it is a defensive reaction to what they can't, in good conscience, support.

When the Operator does engage in conversation, let them finish what they start. People usually interrupt or talk over them, as they do speak in long, slow sentences. In any case, these are workers that want a long-term career without titles, management responsibilities or too much change.

The PDP also talks about when you reach a breaking point:

Your back-up style indicates that when all else fails, you may avoid conflict but have a get you later attitude. You may not actually do this, but you at least will feel like it.

These indicators may not be absolute perfect matches, and I know that I can certainly find instances in the various surveys I have taken where I have TEMPORARILY worked around a core personality trait. The key word is "temporarily." My profile is the exact mirror of yours, Jeff -- highest in dominance, second in extroversion, low conformity / detail and absolutely no pace / patience. I can pay attention to detail when I need to ... I had to review a contract recently and was required to be very detailed. I did it, but it annoyed me to no end. In my mind, there are others to take on that challenge and do significantly better than me ... it was below my pay grade and certainly a stretch for my natural tendencies, if not my abilities.

I have a strong feeling ... as well as indications quantitatively justified by your taking of the ProScan survey ... that any call center / customer service / sales job pushes you to similar levels of discomfort. And despite your optimism, you will never excel at these jobs as you would at others because it runs counter to your basic natural self.

All this is to say, if you're failing at call center jobs, it's not anyone's fault (not even your own), though I question the hiring practices of any employer that isn't digging deeper into candidates to find out whether they're truly right for the role. You're failing at them because they're not you.

Sales would be the same way. The most successful sales people have no patience and little conformity. They're more dominant and their highest trait is extroversion. This is almost your complete opposite. You can't beat yourself up too bad if you fail at these types of positions, because you -- the real, deep-down you -- is simply not made to do them. That's OK! But you can't keep beating your head against a wall accepting these positions simply because of availability and expediency when you likely know they won't result in workplace satisfaction or an environment in which you can excel.

You want stability. These types of positions that you keep accepting won't provide that ... not because they can't, but because they can't for you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1631 on: July 17, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »

Damn this call center gypsy racket is legit. Getting paid for "training"!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1632 on: July 17, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »

Part II. Thanks, character limit!

Where would you truly excel? Honestly ... probably a CADD job or something similar, which is why it's not a bad idea to keep looking. There are plenty of back-office positions in larger companies, too, where your main tasks would be well directed and explained, creating a comfort level for you that allows consistency, steadiness, and above all, a career through which you can support yourself. Think of a job where you didn't have to be yelled at by an angry customer; where you didn't have to try to sell someone something that they don't want; where you don't have poorly-directed training schedules or a constantly ringing phone.

Do what you can to be successful in this job. I can certainly provide sales guidance and motivation if that's what you'll ultimately be doing. I just don't think you'll be happy doing what you're doing.

Don't disagree because you think I'm "unfairly criticizing" you or being negative. I'm not. I'm trying to help you realize what will ultimately be best for you. Just like I wouldn't excel (for long) as an accounts payable clerk, neither will you excel (for long) in a demanding, harried and high-pressure world of sales or customer service. It just isn't in you, Jeff. The community has been saying that for years. But the data proves it, too. You'd do yourself a favor to keep looking on the back end and find a place where you can be you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1633 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »

Tomorrow, we're supposed to role-play for a while, so I hope that will take up more time.

Sounds exciting.  This might give you a few tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZs50kvRibk
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1634 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »

One of the many very odd things about Bushie is how he can not only regurgitate talking points from his employers perfectly despite not being good at anything else, but he seems to believe and buy all of them hook, line and sinker even though virtually no one else does including (actually make that "especially") the people who write them. We saw it back when he believed he was doing people good by hawking the Ameriplan crap and when he defended duping people into buying $1000 vacuum cleaners with arguments about how they really needed such things or they'd get sick all the time from dust or whatever. Now he thinks he's doing all the people he's calling a huge favor with all these products and services AT&T customers just need! Now granted this is nowhere near as morally reprehensible as the other stuff, since he's probably selling stuff that at least has a use and isn't insanely overpriced, but acting like he's doing anyone a huge favor is quite amusing.

Of course that's probably just all chalked up to his extreme cognitive dissonance about basically everything.

I would just chalk it up to being gullible.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1635 on: July 17, 2014, 11:14:46 PM »

Bushie, I know you don't want to post it here because of Mondale, but it might be a good idea to pm a few of us the name of the company so we can do a bit of research on it.  No offense, but your research skills absolutely suck, and I have a really bad feeling you got suckered into something again. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1636 on: July 18, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »

If you Google his company youll find out that the employee reviews were horrible and almost everyone hate working there. Most viewed it as a scam and the pay scale is not what they said it would be.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1637 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »

We are supposed to role-play for a while today and then maybe listen to other people taking inbound calls.  I'm hoping and expecting the role-play to give me a better idea on how to talk to my customers.  Bottom line, is I have no plans to leave this job.  I can't afford to go through another long, painful job search.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1638 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »

Bushie, I know you don't want to post it here because of Mondale, but it might be a good idea to pm a few of us the name of the company so we can do a bit of research on it.  No offense, but your research skills absolutely suck, and I have a really bad feeling you got suckered into something again. 

I'm confident about what I've gotten myself into.  It's not a perfect or even an ideal job, but it will provide a paycheck.  I need a paycheck.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1639 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

I'll just note that given how most of what Bushie does contradicts Christian teachings, I don't think it makes sense to blame religion for what he does. There are plenty of similar atheist psychological crutches to use in order to justify bad behaviour.
Such as?

I am what I am and can't help it, everyone is special and different, I'm ruled by chemical reactions, whatever. I live in a very secular country, people walk around being entitled and stupid all the same.

If Bushie was actually ruled by his faith he obviously wouldn't be scamming, porn-watching, leeching, lying and so on.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1640 on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »

We are supposed to role-play for a while today and then maybe listen to other people taking inbound calls.  I'm hoping and expecting the role-play to give me a better idea on how to talk to my customers.  Bottom line, is I have no plans to leave this job.  I can't afford to go through another long, painful job search.

Why can't  you look for a better job now that you have a job?  I'm missing something.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1641 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »

Why can't  you look for a better job now that you have a job?  I'm missing something.

Because he's a fat, you see.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1642 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »

I'm confident about what I've gotten myself into.  It's not a perfect or even an ideal job, but it will provide a paycheck.  I need a paycheck.

We have been down this road before...

Btw, I'm not saying quit if we find something that is troubling (unless if you happen to be doing something illegal), but rather have us do some research and if we find something troubling, start looking again.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1643 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »

I just heard back from Aaron and she transferred me to the South Bryant Campus where I physically attended.  The lady who handles my certificate is out of the office today, but she said expect a call first thing Monday morning.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1644 on: July 18, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »

I think it comes down to his confidence - he has none. It was difficult for him to be rejected job after job while his classmates all were hired, so he's given up and thinks that being a telemarketer is going to be a career for him, when in reality, it will only feed his low self esteem and he will be out of a job in 2 weeks max.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1645 on: July 18, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »

I just heard back from Aaron and she transferred me to the South Bryant Campus where I physically attended.  The lady who handles my certificate is out of the office today, but she said expect a call first thing Monday morning.

That's good to hear.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1646 on: July 18, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

If Bushie didn't want to be passed up by others, he shouldn't have been a C student. I bet he didn't even have a portfolio of his work.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1647 on: July 18, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »

I'll just note that given how most of what Bushie does contradicts Christian teachings, I don't think it makes sense to blame religion for what he does. There are plenty of similar atheist psychological crutches to use in order to justify bad behaviour.
Such as?

I am what I am and can't help it, everyone is special and different, I'm ruled by chemical reactions, whatever. I live in a very secular country, people walk around being entitled and stupid all the same.

If Bushie was actually ruled by his faith he obviously wouldn't be scamming, porn-watching, leeching, lying and so on.
This would only be true if religion actually worked as claimed, which, of course, it doesn't. Of course, not all of his character traits are tied exclusively to his religion, but it's clearly a huge influence. Take a look at the stats on highly religious people. It's not a pretty picture. Obesity, mental illness, poverty, fatalism, a overreliance on feelings over actual information,  etc. Religion is not a magic spell. It's simply an oppressive system applied to unfortunate people, and Bushie is what happens when you apply the virulent Southern Baptist strain to a person who already has some heavy duty problems, which a lot of people do. It's an absolute mess.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1648 on: July 18, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »

Please, I've asked before, but was ignored as usual.  I do not need negative predictions about my failure.  I need positive encouragement to keep going.  I also don't need continued faith mocking.  I don't need doubts about any of my ability because of my past.  I don't need coddling, but I need positive encouragement.  I also need tips on how to do my job well and be successful.  No more negativity or I told you so's.  Those NEVER help anyone.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1649 on: July 18, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

I think it comes down to his confidence - he has none. It was difficult for him to be rejected job after job while his classmates all were hired, so he's given up and thinks that being a telemarketer is going to be a career for him, when in reality, it will only feed his low self esteem and he will be out of a job in 2 weeks max.

Again, why the doubts about my ability?  I have specifically asked you not to post those.  Yet, you continue to ignore me.  You are not here to help apparently.  You are here to laugh and mock and discourage.  Do you remember the advice "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?  You have violated that so many times.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies